Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

This was a classic WCW IT'S A SHOOT BROTHER!

Even Flair's family, if memory serves, was told the heart attack was real, and the situation can be added to the numerous attempts of WCW higher-ups trying to work the boys/smarks for no discernible reason.

So, yeah, this was a classless, tasteless work.

To add to this, a week or two later they had an interview with Flair's doctor, who revealed that blood tests showed some kind of toxin, implying that Bischoff had poisoned Flair. Then Flair beat Bischoff in a match for control of WCW, and the entire heart attack/poison angle was dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Axissillian posted:

So here is a question, how many times on wrestling have their been actual depictions of attempted murder. Not someone almost killing someone in the ring, but in the storyline someone performing an act backstage that served no purpose other than to legitimately try and kill someone else.

I can think of Stone Cold getting hit by the car, and the Undertaker and Paul Bearer trying to embalm Stone Cold alive.

I'm a little late on this, but the Brian Pillman gun angle could be considered, although that might count as self defense instead of straight up murder.

Also, the WCW Hummer angle (sorry for reminding everyone about that.)

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

DM Punk posted:

Anyone remember the last WWF PPV to have a intermission? I wanna say WM 7.

Does Kid Rock count?

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

The biggest mystery to me in the industry will be Vinces pointless cheapness during the Invasion - He had to start things off with the 2nd tier of WCW because why, Nash.Hogan.Sting were happy getting paid to sit at home? He didn't get Goldberg until way later either. If he had given out a few million dollars to lure out some huge names at the start, it would have truly been the most epic event in industry history. Considering he was coming off the hottest era in his companies history and he was walking around with a giant erection over finally becoming a billionaire, it was even more perplexing and short sighted. Someone should do the math on how much that has cost him in the long run.

I don't know if Nash/Hogan/Goldberg would have been willing to give up the free money they were getting from Time Warner, but it doesn't really matter. Once their contracts were up, it was pretty much a guarantee that they would join up with WWF anyway. They could have easily slow-burned the invasion angle. Every few months WCW could have brought in a new secret weapon. Ric Flair, Goldberg, the NWO, Bischoff. Each of these could be played up as "this is what WCW needs to win the war once and for all!" Add in a few turns that actually make sense, like Jericho jumping to WCW or Hogan jumping to WWF, and this could have gone on for literally a year, and maybe longer.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka_BBY8eiDE&feature=related

In this match, at 5 minutes, Schiavone mentions that WCW will be on for another hour the next night on Tuesday from 8-9. I remember just about everything from WCW and I don't remember that at all. Is there a story behind it? When was it? It was after the Horsemen reunited in '98.

I remember one random hour of Nitro on a Tuesday, probably this one, although they may have done it more than once. I have no idea why, from what I remember nothing notable happened.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

LightsGameraAction posted:

Another Kane-related question: When and what was the motivation for Kane being a goofy face? I think it was around the invasion timeline, after he had starting wearing the "half-mask" he wore until he lost his mask. I know a video was posted here recently from when he had a match with Hogan and the Rock where he was imitating them in a promo beforehand and rock looked weirded out.

That promo was before he even had the half-mask, and iirc before he had ever done any goofy face stuff. Before then, he was just this giant monster who rarely said more than a couple sentences at a time, so it really came out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

CityMidnightJunky posted:

What's your unpopularly held wrestling opinion?

The Rocks music has always sucked.

Even the intro...

.. ESPECIALLY the intro.

It was good when it started with just "Do you smell what The Rock is cooking?" It got worse when they changed it to "If ya smellllll..."