Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

WeaselWeaz posted:

I still think his best thing was his explainations of holds on the human anatomy, with medical terminology. Especially when Heenan would have no clue what he was talking about.

LACTIC ACID BUILDUP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

jeffersonlives posted:

And this is a bad thing how exactly? You should want the fans to have to buy the PPV to see the important stuff, if your primary goal is to sell PPVs. If you want to start giving important stuff away for free, you can't run monthly PPVs because there just isn't that much to go around.

Plus, the less you switch your titles in general, the more they mean.

Because if the fans think nothing ever happens on TV, then they might stop watching TV. And if you're using TV to build up PPVs, and everyone stops watching the build, then who is going to buy the PPV?

You have to have important stuff happen for free now and again so that when it blows peoples' minds, they will think, "Wow, that (important thing) they showed on TV was great. I should start buying the PPVs so I can see more stuff like that."

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

It's irritating when it's a referee that we've seen for years, like Mike Chioda or Charles Robinson, and JR or whoever calls him "the referee." Come on man, I know you know his name!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hebner counting fast for Jericho on Raw that one time is one of my biggest mark-out moments ever

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

No, he's just delusional.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

MassRayPer posted:

Flair always got tremendous reactions at live ROH shows.

Same goes for Lance Storm and Bret Hart.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Nobody mentioned it but Vince saying "nigga" and the HHH/Booker feud were not related and in fact happened years apart from each other.

HHH/Booker was 2003 and Vince saying my nigga was 2005.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

johnners posted:

What province are you from. From what I read, Alberta still digs Bret, if you have been to an Atlantic Canadian show recently there was a massive "Bret" chant when DX was mentioned(for skipping out on the show, none the less).

We still dig him; you just don't like him.

Bret was at ROH in July and the place went absolutely nut for him.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Davros1 posted:

The whole "Jarrett holding Vince up" was because Jarrett was leaving, and he wanted his PPV payoff after that night, instead of six months later when everybody else would receive theirs.

Didn't he make Vince give him $150,000 just for that night, though? Or was that the normal PPV payoff in those days?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Jimmy Hart wrote the best songs because Jimmy Hart is awesome, for example.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Moose Bigelow posted:

Can someone post a list of all the WWE legends roundtables? I am trying to find the one where Ric Flair and others discussed worst factions or families.

I've seen ones about :

Factions/Stables
Patriotism in Wrestling
Wrestling Territories
The Monday Night War
Worst Characters Ever
Most Important Moments
Giants
The Culture of Southern Wrestling
Heatseekers
Managers
Great Rivals

I don't know how complete that is, I've only watched them on Dailymotion or wherever since I don't have WWE 24/7.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

LightsGameraAction posted:

Did they ban the tree of woe from WWE? I just realized I haven't seen anyone use that move in forever.

Punk did it to Mysterio last week on Smackdown. Then he went for a baseball slide but Rey sat up and Punk broke his balls on the ring post.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

George Kaplan posted:

I vaguely remember Christopher Daniels appearing in one of the first giant clusterfuck matches they had when they brought in the Light Heavyweight title. Is there any reason he's never been tapped for OVW? Or AJ Styles, for that matter? He seems pretty decent and reliable, and I don't imagine the TNA paycheck is keeping them there.

WWE probably won't ever hire Daniels since he's 38 now, but I don't know why they didn't bring him in years ago when they still had a belt for small guys.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Erdnase posted:

Just read Mick Foley' first autobiography for the first time since I was about twelve. Any other good autobiography recommendations?

We actually have a thread specifically for this! Stickied at the top of Wrestlehut for your convenience

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2758664

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I just randomly turned on "Classic Wrestling" on Bite TV and I see Dick Murdoch vs Kevin von Erich. Any idea what promotion I'm watching?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Trollologist posted:

How does one go about getting involved in the creative side of wrestling (i.e. writing and gimmicks and the like)? Do you apply to work for local indies and work your way up or what?

As evale mentioned, Lance Storm just did a blog about this. He pointed out that there are literally hundreds or thousands of wrestling fans who are interested in the writing side of the business, but being a fan of something does not mean you're capable of working in the industry.

He suggests going to school for writing and then try to get in somewhere after you graduate/get some writing experience (even if it isn't in wrestling writing)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

There's no real thread for this so I'm putting it here - Classic Wrestling on Bite TV (Canada) is awesome, and if you get the channel you should check it out. They show lots of Memphis stuff but right now they're doing an episode on "crazy" wrestlers, footage mostly from St. Louis. So far I've seen Terry Funk, Dick Murdoch, and Dick the Bruiser, and they said Brody is going to be on later. This poo poo rules.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Marcade posted:

Bear with me trying to describe this move. In the N64 WWF games (No Mercy, I think?) there was a move in the CAW that involved the attacker sitting on the turnbuckle with his opponent standing in front of him with his back to him. The attacker would then basically flip over the opponent and perform a diamond cutter/RKO on him (I think it was called the diamond crush or something similar). My question is, does anyone actually use that move? From what I remember it looking like in the game, it doesn't appear to be something one could do safely.

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Masato Tanaka used it and it was called the Diamond Dust.

Bingo. Here's a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1haV-EAp0s

Orgophlax posted:

EDIT: Also, wikipedia says that the Million Dollar Dream was a cobra clutch. I thought it was just a regular old sleeper hold?

Nope, it was a cobra clutch. It's in this video, for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn0N2fMbdIY

also it owns

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

And it was right after he went on CNN or something, talking poo poo about anyone who does steroids, wasn't it?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

projecthalaxy posted:

Wait, I thought that was the Victory Roll? What's the Victory Roll?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RABUO-62N5M

This, at least as far as I'm aware.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

IWA-MS has had some good matches over the years (despite Ian's awfulness) like Delirious vs El Generico or Necro vs Joe or Necro vs Low Ki. But I hate death match stuff so \/:shobon:\/

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I always thought it was like the opponent is tightening your muscle, so you're smacking it to get the feeling back into it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Someone please find and post that match.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

vs Delirious, that one that owned, I can't remember which show though.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't know, but I hate him a lot less now that he stopped dressing like Mike Quackenbush in the ring.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Brickhouse Betty posted:

Looking at the WH2K Fvaorite Finisher thread, I have to know: What the gently caress is up with Marcus Cor Von's Pounce?

It just looks like a crappy shoulder tackle, but everyone here seems to love the poo poo out of it. What am I missing here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaTU7whcGi8

PERIOD

no seriously watch some other videos of it, if the person sells it well it looks awesome

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

El Axo Grande posted:

Yeah, its kinda like if your dad gave you his old car and you turned into a transformer

This post owns

Iskanderson posted:

if you want to count those.

nobody wants to count ICP for anything

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Golden Bee posted:

(Doing a history of the battlecry and need someone to compare to The Berserker).

Tell me more. Also you should probably spell it The Berzerker since that's how they spelled it in WWF.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

LividLiquid posted:

Whilst watching a basketball game, would you buy this kind of thing happening? We are supposed to be watching a sport.

I would buy it if I was watching jokey fake sports like Rollerjam or wrestling. also, "whilst" lol

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think he's a lot crisper now than he ever was in ROH but he was never like, bad or anything.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

El Axo Grande posted:

Hey guys, I was wondering, do you have any birthdays that match the birthdays of wrestlers?

:drac: Kevin Thorn :(

projecthalaxy posted:

What are some memorable moments made better by signs in the crowd?

I'D RATHER BE AT RAW

tzirean posted:

Maff's been around again the last year or two. Homicide's never gone into detail about the incident, but he did explicitly state, "Maff is a pedophile," so the assumption is that Maff had sex with an underage member of Homicide's family.

I believe it was Homicide's cousin

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Lone Rogue posted:

Forever Hardcore.

Directed by "JB" Jeremy Borash. To the back!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Shitty_Wok posted:

What are some other great gaffes to come out of promos?

Owen, in a backstage promo: "Right here, right now, next week, in the ring!"

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Check out the thread about Linda's run for the senate, there's like 5+ pages of discussion.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The first Buried Alive match from In Your House 11 was pretty overbooked, too. Beyond the outrageous nature of the match, I remember a bunch of heels ran out to bury Taker... HHH, JBL (who was Justin Hawk Bradshaw then), Goldust, Crush I think, maybe some more too.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Captain Hats posted:

I'm a bit of a wrestling virgin. If i'm being honest, a LOT of a wrestling virgin. But I saw this weeks Raw at a mate's house, and it got me curious. I'm interested and would like to know more about wrestling, but you guys throw about terms that are way over my head and talk about events and matches that happened years ago and I'm left a bit out in the cold. I found the glossary in here, but are there any matches or events that I absolutely MUST see, any wrestlers I should be especially aware of...

Tell me how to be a wrestleman is what I'm saying. I didn't see a newbie thread so I'm guessing it's kosher to ask here.

Did you ever watch as a kid, or is it all fresh to you? I ask because a lot of the comparisons we make (like "TNA is the new WCW") will mean nothing to somebody who didn't grow up with at least a cursory knowledge of what WCW was.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

jscolon2.0 posted:

Simon Diamond did it.

Simon Dean did it.

This is Simon Diamond.

lexingtondisoro posted:

A little late on this, but is that Colt's gimmick as that wrestler? I'm not as caught up on the indies as I ought to be.

He does it sometimes (rarely) but it's not his regular gimmick.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Pneub posted:

"Miz, your WWE championship opponent tonight is...

...you guessed it, Frank Stallone."

And then Frank Stallone comes shambling down the ramp there.

I would mark for a Frank Stallone joke more than anything else any wrestling company could do.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

All I remember is after Foley took off the shirt and talked about being Cactus Jack again, he proceeded to beat the everliving gently caress out of HHH and Mideon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Lamuella posted:

from the point of the wrestlers, I can understand how they would be severely irritated by a disruptive fan at a show. Someone making the show less appealing to other fans could lead to a lower gate, and thus a smaller payday.

I don't think it's elitist so much as being smart enough not to act like a dick in public.

yeah really. I don't think "don't scream SU PER DRA GON nonstop for two minutes while everyone else is silent" is an elitist attitude