Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

BlueArmyMan posted:

I know some men & women have said that being in one of the WWE video games can be very lucrative for a very long time, so how do they manage payments for guys like Razor Ramon and Big John Studd who don't work for them? For that matter, what do they do about people who are dead, like Andre?

BJS is also pretty dead, man.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Also one less arm free is one less arm to attempt to protect your fall with.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
yeah if I remember the story (and I think I've brought it up recently) right, it was a fat diabetic guy with a prosthetic foot.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Red posted:

Died for real, or Marty Jannetty dressed up like The Undertaker and rose to "heaven" in the arena died?

Those guys are super for-real dead

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Red posted:

That's too bad. Oh well, I guess this new masked wrestler with their exact height, build, mannerisms, and moveset will have to do.

The REAL question is if you're going to retire Alberto Torres and Ray Gunkel from your FPR save.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Has anybody ever bought a mask from http://www.corazonfairtrade.com/maskluchalibre1.html ? If so, how were the masks? The pictures look pretty great, but I'm always wary when I see something neat for such a low price.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

ThatCguy posted:

They're cheap masks, fit and finish are fine, nothing particularly great. I've gotten a couple which have held up to 4-5 years of booze fueled halloween shenanigans without falling apart.

EXACTLY the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

VogeGandire posted:

Man, that site has Punk's mask, but not La Parka's. Madness.

I noticed that they don't have the blue Huracan Ramirez one I want anymore ( :( ) so I think they just remove them from the page when they run out of stock.

This probably explains why it's mostly the weird ones that are still up.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Rodney the Piper posted:

Google, the thing readily available to people in jail.

WWE is outsourcing its article writing and editing to prisons now? poo poo!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Suben posted:

The fat guys stuff in the picture thread made me wonder, who are some agile fat guys?

American Balloon immediately comes to mind. I think there were these two huge fat guys, the Headhunters? Who were supposed to be pretty flippy? But either way I saw one match with them and, uh, was not impressed. To say the least.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I really liked the Shaker Heights Spike except, uh, just about every clip of it online is a snuff film in execution, so I'm pretty okay with it staying retired

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Wojtek posted:

What are some cases where someone is accidentally legit KO'd by a move?

I'm not sure it was a KO, but Bas Rutten took a stiff puro leg kick and instinctively knocked the other guy loopy before realizing what had happened.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

fatherdog posted:

They couldn't find a guy who looked enough like Bruiser Brody.

Dang, son.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
In Gavok's article The Top 100 Royal Rumble Moments, he makes reference to "a Japanese Royal Rumble with well over 100 participants". What match is this, and holy god is it just a complete clusterfuck and/or parade of "who?"

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

magnum_valentino posted:

For content, do any wrestlers play drums?

OX BAKER PLAYS THE DRUMS ON YER SKULL

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

epitasis posted:

I am surprised that California seems to have outlawed knuckles as well as devices made to look like brass knuckles. They should do a police raid on some prop departments.

iirc, prop departments and film armories get legal exemption in CA

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
So, my buddies and I love watching cool wrestling, and we also love cohesive narratives, so tournaments own.

What are some really good wrestling tournaments? WWE, puro, lucha, indie, whatever. We've seen King of Trios 2009, the J-Crown, the Super J Cup 1994, RINGS Mega Battle Tournament 1992, the 1989 G1 Climax/NJPW World Cup Tournament, the original IWA King of the Deathmatch (had a gorehound join us for a tiny bit), and parts of the 2013 G1 Climax.

what we're looking for in particular:
-More American/European stuff, including WWE
-Some stuff from puro companies besides NJPW (especially AJPW) (though more good NJPW ones would be nice too)
-Lucha
-Women's wrestling (probably an emphasis on Joshi)
-not garbage wrestling.

Not every match has to be good, or anything. Just an overall fun package. If one or two matches are particularly heinous, we'll just learn to live with fast-forwarding.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Isn't it somewhat common for the body to react that way when somebody that heavy loses a lot of weight?

Also being that fat for that long has to have some serious consequences anyways.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

sticklefifer posted:

The fetish stuff was really tame, it was like "Look at this giant woman next to this hot girl in a bikini". She was 6'9" and probably could've held her own against a lot of the men and been the next Chyna, but alas. We got Kaitlyn instead so I'm cool with that.

I looked up one of her matches. While she was selling strikes, I was thinking "huh, she's not so bad".

Theeeen she did literally anything else in the ring or on the mic.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Grant DaNasty posted:

I recently heard that Warrior was originally chosen for the Big Van Vader character before he backed out and it was given to Leon White. So now I'm curious to what the origin of the Big Van Vader character is supposed to be. All Wikipedia says is "His new identity was based on a strong warrior of the same name from Japanese folklore." Does anyone have any more information about this folklore character? I would love to know if he resembled Vader's helmet.

The explanation I heard for the name was a manga character named "Big the Bombardier" or something, but of course I can't find that now.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Jake Soo posted:

There's no such character in Japanese folklore. The Big Van Vader character was created by manga author Go Nagai (Mazinger Z, Cutie Honey, Devilman) for NJPW and it's main heel group, Takeshi Puroresu Gundan (TPG). TPG was lead by Takeshi Kitano, one of the most famous comedians in Japan and Vader was their main enforcer.

Vaders debut is legendary as he had a match wih Inoki which led to Inoki losing. The fans rioted and caused damage to the recently-opened Ryogoku Kokugikan arena. Japan Sumo Association responded by banning the promotion out of fear that the fans would continue rioting. The ban was lifted in 1989.

Ah, there we go, thanks. I think I was thinking of a video game character named "Big Bomberder"

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

IronCladBurrito posted:

HE SAID HE UPLOADED THAT

I will crush your car.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Writer Cath posted:

Is it wrong that when I try and picture Stone Cold at eight years old, he still has the trunks, vest and beer?

is it wrong if I imagine him as a waist-high Stunning Steve Austin?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/remember-that-time/page-8

So this article doesn't really answer the question but who the hell thought letting Scott Steiner come to the ring with a live tiger was a good idea and why would he do that anyway? Or is the answer just simply because Scott Steiner?

That tiger was one of Steiner's freaks. They had know way of knowing just what Steiner meant when he said he wanted to have one of his freaks in the ring.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
So, uh, I have a ticket for a WWE house show that begins at 5pm. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to set out until a bit after that time. What time would announced start time vs. first bell time be for a house show, generally?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Giant Gonzalez' chokeslam has the least air of any big man chokeslam I've ever seen.

Does Dragon Gate do ippvs or anything? I want to watch one of their latest events but I don't really know where to look.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Thauros posted:

The Dead or Alive show last month some are calling the show of the year so far? That was an ippv but is no longer available for streaming.

RealHero has it up on DailyMotion, here's the first match

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1tg7id_cyber-kong-kzy-vs-uhaa-nation-shachihoko-boy-dragon-gate_sport

If you want to support them for running cool shows, a Korakuen card on June 6th is their next PPV.
http://www.ustream.tv/dragongate

That was exactly it, thanks!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

MassRafTer posted:

He was really bad. He had little charisma and little real ability.

For all of the people saying it is Khali for sure you all seriously need to see some Tiger Jeet Singh. I'd rather watch a dozen Khali comedy squashes on Raw this week than a single TJS match from FMW.

TJS: Brings a sword to the match, still boring.

Actually now I'm curious about his AJPW work and... Well, I found a match from '81 and he's spent most of the runtime so far chasing people around outside the ring with a sword.

Okay, lemme revise:

Tiger Jeet Singh: Brings a sword to the match, still does restholds all day

this bit is great, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRRo29eNpoU&t=62s

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Havoc904 posted:

I'm going to run a 128 wrestle-man tournament in one of the videogames and was wondering if people have any good ideas for how to seed the wrestlers. I was thinking about seeding them in groups of 16. These are the metrics I am considering so far:

Seeding by total number of world title reigns. This would guarantee that wrestlers like Cena, Rock, Flair, etc would be upper seeds. Then for the lower seeds, I can count secondary belt reigns as well (such as Curt Hennig, Scott Hall and others not having many or any world title reigns). The only problem with this is that wrestlers like Bruno Sammartino and Nick Bockwinkel won't be seeded due to them not dropping the belt much.

Seeding by total combined length of world title reigns could help that a bit. This might go in the opposite direction in putting alot of classic wrestlers above current stars due to belt reigns being longer then in the modern era.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas for other ways to seed the wrestlers, I would love to hear them. I just want some sort of metric to determine seeding but I'm not coming up with much beyond those two.

128-man single block Round Robin.

It's the only way

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Actually maybe average out combined reigns with total number of reigns? I'm bad at math so I can't visualize how messed up that would look.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

If the Jimmy Garvin GAB video can surface, anything can.

Here's a question: What's this?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Halloween Jack posted:

The WMD is poo poo, but I don't understand why people make this complaint about the Brogue Kick. Maybe it's just because I did a little tournament karate and I understand the timing and distancing, etc. that goes into landing a jumping kick, but a running jumping kick is a move that your opponent is going to see coming and avoid/counter if they're not worn down and the timing isn't right.

It pretty much comes out in these discussions that people think every striking move can be hit from any position by any wrestler, exactly the same, with the exact same power and effectiveness, if they just use the same type of attack.

I mean, they never play it up or draw attention to it, and it might be a bit too close to "realistic", but it's a pretty valid part of match strategy if someone can't get the golden opportunity for a shot or are just plain outclassed in some respect.

Big Show's WMD is totally bullshit, though, since it's just kind of a half-assed quick little swing from literally any position in a "sport" where nobody has a guard. It could work if maybe he at least attempted to drop into a stance and wind up a hook or something. (disclaimer: I don't really watch WWE too much, so he might at least half-assedly try that sometimes, but every time I've seen it, it was "really big guy does a jab, everyone dies")

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hogan is poopy and knows as many moves as Kevin Nash but he was really good at what he did (at least when he gave a poo poo). He was a fun babyface and a great douchebag heel.

At least he had a better STF than John Cena

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Regrettable posted:

A bit nit-picky, but a jab is done with the leading hand, and is used to set up other punches. That's a straight right, which definitely does knock people out.

Edit: my grammar is bad.

True that. I was just emphasizing how lovely it looked but I getcha.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Man I miss having a wrestling forum before the whole loving place got shut down.

So what exactly was the... deal with HUSTLE? It looked like one half comedy pro wrestling show and one half superstars of MMA and pro wrestling beating the poo poo out of each other, with a ton of overlap and horrible ideas.

There's no way it wasn't a Yakuza front.

Is there?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
also what would happen if someone made Tajiri swallow his mist?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Jake Soo posted:

HUSTLE was DSE's undertaking to make a pro-wrestling promotion that would be the leader in Japan and chose a mainstream friendly approach -- sports entertainment. They had originally tried to make a SERIOUS, american style promotion which wasn't received well by the fans so they decided to make it into a comedy promotion. Loads of B-list celebrities and angles to get people to watch it. Having the MMA guys to bring in the PRIDE crowd.

HUSTLE was actually on the brink of becoming something big in 2006. Unfortunately the yakuza scandal happened.

I'm honestly surprised how well a lot of the shoot fighters worked in the HUSTLE ring, from what I saw.

I'm also honestly upset that IVPVideos guy took his HUSTLE sale down on Sunday afternoon like he always says he will, instead of Monday afternoon (when I have money freed up) like he always does. Booo!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Did Lucha have a major crossover star in the '80s? A Hogan, so to speak. I know El Santo was still popular but he was long retired from the ring and couldn't even go in his (especially) lovely later movie career.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

harperdc posted:

Context: the Yakuza live in this really weird grey area in Japan, and plenty of people have studied much more than me, but it's a slightly different relationship than with organized crime in the U.S. All of these groups are associations and are on the books -- most of their businesses are through shell companies (duh) but there are official locations with a shingle outside saying "Yamaguchi-gumi", etc. Since I think 2010 or 2012, there have been attempts to tighten up against the influence of Yakuza in Japan, though -- I believe these new laws say that you can't legally do business with known yakuza businesses, and some of the big banks have gotten into hot water one after the other for having accounts with yakuza members. (This is a totally Japanese way to 'ban' them too -- we're not going to outright ban your groups, but make it illegal for anyone to do business with you? Sure, that makes sense).

Moreover, reading about this, it sounds like a political drama too between different yakuza groups (who have rivalries, duh) and different fighting organizations (PRIDE, K-1, etc) and TV distributors (who want good product but had to keep clean). In sumo, too, there were problems at that time with yakuza members taking the VIP seats up near the ring, and in Japan, even being up there and seen there is a sign of disrespect, or flaunting of authority by the yakuza groups.

Of course, the sad truth is a lot of stuff in the economy go through yakuza-owned companies or fronts and it never really seems like you're more than two steps away from something with ties to organized crime.

This may be partially why puro has lagged in recent years -- there's always some money to be found somewhere to prop things up, but if it comes from bad sources, that's not good. And with the heritage and history of that money coming from ill gains, then TV companies may have moved away from it for the time being. The quality of product of course has an effect, but the politics behind it may have hurt puro on TV as well. New Japan is making honest-to-god strides -- I saw Shinsuke Nakamura on a game show the other night. But that's of course another topic for another time.

I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about that, honestly. I should probably provoke you in the NJPW thread.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Perry Normal posted:

Undertaker's goddamn vulture from WM IX.

Specifically excluded :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Who was the Executioner in the very first Wrestlemania match? Anyone of note?

"Playboy" Buddy Rose but I'd have to hit wikipedia to actually know what he did