Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Sionistic posted:

Thigh slappin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yygfRriIf4U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

If we keep this up, The Undertaker is going to become like the gothic Chuck Norris.

Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings.
Every time a bell gongs, a fool gets chokeslammed STRAIGHT TO HELL.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

BlueArmyMan posted:

It really brings the room together.

I really want someone in Chikara to cut a classic two-guys-talk-one-guy-into-picking-a-fight promo in which they just paraphrase this scene. Especially if Delirious is Donny.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Happy Happyist posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQnarTu1HPs

Bit of audio desync, but oh well!

(at 3:34, right after the bell, the guy yelling "RUN! RUUUUNNNN!" cracks me up)

Legit one of my favourite matches of all time, and another example of how underused the Big Show is when they don't let him be his big, goofy self.

Also, Colin Delaney's storyline could have been awesome if it'd been played out a bit further.

Any update on what happened to him? He'd be awesome if he came back on NXT.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

dusty udder smoker posted:

who owns bartertown?

Master Blaster.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

How many foreigners have been in WWE that have not had a whole character built around their ethnicity (or a more recognisable ethnicity that they might pass for)?

Because Drew McIntyre and Kofi (V2.0) are the only ones I can think of right now.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Lamuella posted:

are you counting Canadians as foreigners? If so, the answer is "loving hundreds"

Very good point. But it seems now they're willing to not make people into racial stereotypes - the Sheamus/Finlay comparison being about the best example. Piper/Drew is another - Drew is still Scottish, but he's not the loving Highlanders (although I did quite like the Highlanders).

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

At Chikarasaurus Rex, Gavin Loudspeaker came out to a really awesome song that began with an organ riff and then the lyrics "I used to feel DOOOOWWWWNN!" and then some crunchy guitars came in.

I must have this song. Does anyone know what it was?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

For sure. It's the intro to Chikara Podcast-A-Go-Go. Here's the latest one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssLhAFc_qy8

And here's his site. Best of luck. http://wigglysworld.com/

I'm absolutely convinced it was a different version, but yeah, that's the song I was after. Thanks!

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

Janice is a 2x4 with a ton of nails embedded in it. I'm guessing he gave it a name because Foley gave his Barbed Wire Bat a name in 2004.

Yes, but "Barbie" for a barbed wire bat is a contraction of the object's real name, whereas "Janice" is my sister's name and is being used for no reason, so this match is thoroughly confusing to me.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Shitty_Wok posted:

Are there ever repercussions against wrestlers who injure other wrestlers (i.e. Owen and Stone Cold, Brock and Hardcore Holly, or Rey and Undertaker?) I assume it's just casualties of the job, much like papercuts and a secretarial position, but I mean, in a profession like wrestling, you'd expect some sort of skill-based incentive for wrestlers who excel at their trade and don't hurt others?

Insert Anderson/Orton story here.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

I seem to remember Edge & Christian using a stacked superplex (christian on edge's shoulders, suplexing someone from the top rope) but can't find video of it. If I'm right, I think that was probably the best finisher.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Given the WWE's new habit of acknowledging people's indie backgrounds, that Danielson has said he wants to "get more people watching indie wrestling" and that he's happily acknowledging his release but politely declining to discuss details, I think its clear that both parties have an agreement, and what he's doing is probably okay with them. If anything, every time a tie is mentioned it reminds people he was in WWE, and will probably be back by the end of the year.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Perdido posted:

Jericho yells inarticulately a lot, too.

I dunno, I think he's pretty articulate.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

I've actually talked to a few Indie guys who got shots and they were suggested by guys on the roster to bring styrofoam containers and grab as much as food as they possibly could until someone yelled at them.

I hope this also ended in a stunner.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Horseface posted:

I'm a wrestlin' n00b. I never watched this poo poo, not even as a kid, but in the past few weeks I've gotten pretty hooked.

September 18th, CHIKARA is putting on a show in my town (Baltimore) for the first time ever. Assuming I can russle up a couple other non-fan people to tag along, would this be a good way to spend 20 bucks?

Granted I've been wrestlehuttin' for a few years, but I'm not a total hardcore wrestling fan. Hitting up a Chikara show on my trip across the US was a brilliant idea.

Definitely try and bring a friend, but if you can't, still go - I went by myself. I was a little awkward at first (wrestling crowds are not an attractive bunch) but by the second or third match I was chanting and shouting with the rest of them.

Also: if its a big show, look for a camera before you take your seat, and sit on the side that its on. Also, bring a camera with a quick autofocus and a short response time. Shooting wrestlers with my "Best Buy's Cheapest" Fuji camera was near impossible!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thealanjackexperience/sets/72157624585746204/

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

after Taker won the championship Hogan

God, don't remind me, they hopped the championship Hogan around so much back then it became MEANINGLESS. I remember when Hogans used to mean something, dammit!

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

My Joke

-----

-----

-----

-----

Everyone's head

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

I met a guy from Winnipeg in a hostel in London and, at a loss for something to converse about, asked if he'd met Chris Jericho.

He said his friend sometimes sees him in a dive bar he frequents, and that he's pretty cool.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

evale posted:

Plus his son-in-law is a successful undertaker.

That took me little while to get.

Bravo.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Xenoletum posted:

Perfect. It's going to be upsetting to see that we won't get another instance like this again this year, unless somehow HHH manages to be shoe-horned into the main event scene.

Shoe-horned?

"And the 6th man to enter the elimination chamber ..."

TIMETOEPLAYTHEGAME!MUAHAHAHAHAH ...

It's not exactly a twist. HHH comes back, HHH becomes #1 contender by virtue of HHH being HHH.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

Owen, in a backstage promo: "Right here, right now, next week, in the ring!"

Never sure if Owen's botched promos were gaffes or ribs ...

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

I gave my ex a Matt Hardy.

She slept with my flat mate and I acted like a pissy douchebag about it.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

I gave my girlfriend a Steve Austin, but I know she loves me because she posted my bail after the neighbors called the cops.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Timby posted:

Injuries, basically. His neck was already hosed when he came into the WWF in 2000.

Woah, woah ... back up a sec ...

Taz has a neck?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Haven't watched Raw live for a while, but it's quite likely it's real. Steve Austin had a bit for a while where he'd let his opponent speak, only to cut them off by screaming "WHAT?!" at them, and sometimes he'd even do it to himself. It caught on and now the crowds will often do it when they're annoyed at someone or bored by what they're saying.

I liked it when turned it into a sing-a-long thing, where he broke up these long rambling promos deliberately for people to shout it.

"Before I came here tonight I went to a bar"
WHAT?
"I said I went to a bar"
WHAT?
"And I drink a beer"
WHAT?
"And then I drank another beer"
WHAT?
"And then I drank a whisky"
WHAT?

I never had any idea where he was going with those promos or why he was making them, but they were fun.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

It's basically Jesse and Festus if they ever turned heel.

Would be WAY better.

Though I think Santino becoming unexpectedly super-smart, and using Kozlov as dumb muscle, would be a better fit.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Shitty_Wok posted:

I wholeheartedly support this.

I support it further if all Kozlov's plans involve using Santino as bait/distraction/ a punching bag.

Or if it means Santino actually HITS the all-powerful COBRA.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

I always wanted to see TnA run an Iron Man ladder match.

Who can retrieve the MOST poo poo from the rafters in 30 minutes?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Shane used to say that he did all those crazy bumps so that he would have some credibility when he asked wrestlers to do stuff after he took over the company. The fact that he's not in the company anymore is pretty :smith:

A little bit of me still wants to believe that's all some massive, epic, 10 year kayfabe plan to do the Invasion properly.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Web Jew.0 posted:

in the death pool thread endorph mentioned how jeff hardy renaming his finisher twist of hate (he's a heel now y'see) makes no sense. there's still twist in there so it describes the move better than say the pedigree, wasteland, attitude adjustment, rko, last ride, future shock, beautiful disaster, trouble in paradise, stroke, mic check, styles clash, muscle buster, etc.

What are some clever move names? (F5, jacknife, backstabber, skull crushing finale, sweet chin music, 619, angle slam, hellevator, skull & bones, etc.)

If its true that Barret's "Wasteland" is a nod the poem, then that tops the list.

I have never liked "Sweet Chin Music". Just try explaining it to a non-wrestling fan.

I hate it, but I chuckled when I heard about "Eat Defeat".

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Still say there's room for WWE to replace Superstars with a third brand that's purely smark-orientated. Cruiserweights, tag teams and practically no stories.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

Isn't Superstars turning into that?

I think thats more a happy coincidence than a serious move, though, since Superstars is marketed to the same crowd as RAW/SD and is just a recap/filler show for the other two.

I could be totally wrong, I never watch Superstars.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Endorph posted:

Grisham is a sane man in a world gone insane.

This is the best point ever made. If WWE were a sitcom, Todd Grisham would be the central protagonist, trying desperately to cling to sanity as everyone else around him loses theirs.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Bringing him in as Joe Hennig and having him all angry that Ziggler was basically imitating his dad would have made for an interesting feud that could have had some quality matches between the two. Ziggler could have lost the feud and got a much needed gimmick change.

Also - whats the story with the animals a few posts up? I see one has a CM Punk pepsi tattoo :psyboom:

The Ziggler thing is so subtle I doubt most fans have picked up on it - heck, I barely noticed it beyond the bleached hair and smug grin.

I can see two very good reasons why they wouldn't want Mike Muggillicitictutiy to use his dad's name:

1. He doesn't look like Mr Perfect, nor does he have that smug good-looking vibe going. Even if he did, that's mostly Cody Rhodes' gig these days (even though he's more Ravishing Rick Rude).

2. He's not perfect. Mr Perfect only worked as a gimmick because the guy was crisp as hell in the ring.

In other words, he couldn't pull off a Mr Perfect gimmick in any way, so why let him be a second-rate version of it? Why not let him be (in theory) a first-rate version of himself?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

rotinaj posted:

I want Stone Cold to come back and be stunner the mystery GM just to see more Stunners.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

I have a very vage memory of this happening in ECW, I remember thinking 'Wow, it actually worked!'.

Also, I'm sure this must have been done a few times with the feet on the ropes or pulling the trunks spot.

There was also the "that was THREE!" "Oh, was it?" "YEAH!" "Oh, sorry about that - RING THE BELL!" spot in Chikara, but I can't find the video of it.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I remember the racist bit (which was terrible) but I honestly don't remember the crowd cheering.

It was, thankfully, pretty awkward cheering. I think the detractors were too shocked to think to boo.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Perry Normal posted:

In the Rumble, I always assumed they tried to make sure the second last guy, maybe even the final four, are guys they wouldn't mind having win in the end in a worst case scenario.

This is pretty true.

Has anyone unexpected ever made it past the final four?

Like, say, Triple H and Benoit are duking it out, and forget that Santino is crouched in the corner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Wojtek posted:

I don't get the hate for McGuillicutty, other than his terrible promo leaving NXT. I like him.

What has he done/said since then? Hasn't he just kinda hung around? I think all we can say at this point is "he's not terrible, so long as he doesn't really do anything".