Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Is DDP big enough to get into the Hall of Fame some year?

I'd say he was, but only just.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

-Bryan, technically (see above)

I love that Bryan's face turn technically happened the following week, when he was no longer with the company.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Perry Normal posted:

No hook but...

You're saying you want WWE to hire Abyss?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqRFIscsanw

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

Okay guys, I'm just going to leave WH2K now.

Except I'll show up in every thread as a 'lurker' after not even an hour, insert myself into every conversation with more spelling errors than ever before until Hulkamatt has no choice but to re-instate me after a seemingly genuine farewell post about spending more time with my family that I have neglected for the board.

I will also walk over to and hug CSammich on my way out.

Guys, don't buy into it, she'll be posting in the Observer forums in six months. :colbert:

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Timby posted:

In both Have a Nice Day and Foley is Good, he says that the fall through the cell was completely unplanned, but as Karmine points out, he's full of poo poo, because how else would it have gone down, and as CSammich points out, he's full of poo poo, because the cell was clearly gimmicked.

In conclusion, Foley is full of poo poo on a lot of matters.

Nope, sorry.

In the books, he explains that the idea was that part of that cell piece was already busted. They'd lay the chair down, he'd take the chokeslam and instantly roll into the busted hole - on camera, it'd look like he went straight through.

What happened was that the whole section ripped, and he actually did go straight through, with a chair beneath his head Foley is an idiotic carny and it was a stupid idea to begin with.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

The sad fact is that they're struggling to find a space on the roster for DB right now. His character was refreshing at first, but without getting the right people to work off, he's a bit bland.

I think there's room for them to introduce crazy beard Daniel Bryan, though - and a premade storyline in the Nexus debacle: he left Nexus after just one night because he feared what he had become. Since then, he hasn't "woken the dragon" so to speak, because he fears if he crosses that line he won't come back. As such, he's not faced Nexus since being on Team Cena at Bragging Rights. So for Cena to will him back to the fight, he has to turn him into the mad, crazy wild-eyed American Dragon Daniel Bryan.

Edit:

Cena: Get angry!
Bryan: No.
Cena: You're a worthless nerd.
Bryan: Nope.
Cena: You'll never make it in the WWE.
Bryan: I don't care.
Cena: You'll never get laid.
Bryan: Are you trying to make me angry, or make me laugh?

Cena: ... ... ... Asparagus is a BAD DOG!

Bryan: GHRHREHHEGRHEGRHFUIFDFD I'LL BREAK YOU IN HALF!!!!

George Kaplan fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 16, 2011

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

cucka posted:

throw Cena in at 1 and OVERCOMES THE ODDS this year.

Oh god, they're going to do this, aren't they? :smith:

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also, I think they brought in the Zombie for the Sci-Fi shows.

Thinking about this, apart from the Undertaker and Kane, what supernatural or weird sf or other plainly-not-real gimmicks have ever actually gotten over in a major promotion? (The Ultimate Warrior may or may not count.) It seems this sort of thing almost never works, but it still pops up now and again...

Define "got over". Wrestlecrap was full of supernatural gimmicks, some of which lasted quite a while.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

If Dr Death had won Brawl for All, how on earth would they explain why he would start selling in the ring? If he was feuding with Steve Austin, he'd have to go from being put over as a tough, fast shoot fighter to taking a kick to the gut with no defense, and letting another guy pull his face down onto that guy's shoulder. We accept it because of the context, but you can't mix the two like that.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Burrito posted:

Not sure when Brian Christopher was officially outed as Jerry's son, but it was constantly a wink wink, nudge nudge thing on the commentary.

In WWE, when Too Cool were an a team of ambiguous sexuality, it was an angle where Lawler would deny it but talk Christopher up ridiculously, and the crowd chanted "Jerry's Kid". Once they became Too Cool, hip dancing phenomenon, it disappeared.

Not sure when that happened, though.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

What's the latest on Matt Capotelli's condition?

Someone just posted he and John Hennigan's match in the youtube thread. He could have been great right now. :smith:

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes but Steve Martin does those movies so he can fund his real love - art and writing books. While Flair does it to fund his wives and pay legal bills for his junkie son.

Are you saying that drugs and ex-wives aren't Ric Flair's real love?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Tyma posted:

2. Why isn't Joe vs Angle at Lockdown considered one of the greatest matches of all time? (Serious question)

Watching this now, I could really see a worked-MMA-style show being a great WWE alternative. Has nobody tried this yet?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Tonfa posted:

The only worthwhile thing to come out of the WWE World's Greatest Tag Team reunion in '07 was this match.

I liked them as Team Angle, way back in the day.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

How do wrestlers learn to do movges like a 450 splash or a shooting star press?

There's only so much you can have someone tell you wih a move like that I imagine and then you'd just have to learn by trial and error, I guess.

But how do they start trying to learn a move like that so that they don't just break their necks trying it the first time?

One of the guys on Tough Enough (think it might have been Matt Capotelli) was pushing to learn the moonsault and they showed them learning with giant crash mats. The trainer pushes it into position once your on the top rope.

A lot of why you don't learn stuff like that early on is that you have to make sure you can get a full rotation done without breaking your neck (as they nearly did when they tried it, if memory serves).

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

At that point TNA and WWE got into a bit of a bidding war over him in the buildup to the short-lived second Monday Night Wars.

Have you got a source for that? I don't remember ever hearing so much as a rumour that WWE wanted Flair back. I always thought they'd gotten smart enough to know that it hurt them in the long run to let saggy old men stink up the ring until they die doing it.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Timby posted:

It was almost single-handedly responsible for the brief rise of the Parents Television Council to prominence and media attention. Eh.

Which I'd be mad about if it hadn't given us Mister Steven Richards and Right To Censor, one of my favourite gimmicks of all time.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Gatts posted:

And what's up with the Canadian Destroyer? Where in fighting would you use that move? That whole flipping thing?

Duh, flips make moves hit harder because of MOMENTUM.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

LordPants posted:

He does heel commentary for ROH and he's really good at telling a story and putting a story over, and as ROH uses a slightly more kayfabe style it works really well. He also has a touch of Bobby Heenan in his calling style in blatantly covering for the heels during the matches which works really well. He's no Jim Ross, but I don't think that many people are.

One of his best points is that unlike Michael Cole, if the match is really cooking and is some serious five star poo poo he'll just go with the match and get excited and really put over the match instead of talking through it.

You just described JBL.

I miss JBL.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

No IWC April Fools gag?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

What's Droz like as a talker? I thought he was always kinda like a more punky/metal-y Stone Cold. I'm surprised he's not taken a commentating role, the WWE would get a lot of cred for having a disabled on-screen talent (well, until someone asked why he was disabled ... which I suppose explains it ...)

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

It's part of kayfabe, I think. It's so that you can't make a tag when too far away from your own corner. Like Gaz-L said, it's rarely enforced anymore, but I think that it actually was a more prominent part of matches from the days of yore.

I don't think its that its rarely enforced, as much as it just never really comes up any more because there's not often a good spot that would come from breaking the rule.

I'm wondering if there are any other rules we've forgotten about. I can recall:

- Closed fist strikes are illegal
- You only have until 5/10 (nobody's ever been DQ'd to my recollection) when standing on the corner
- In multi-team tag matches, you MUST lock-up or strike an opponent after tagging in.
- A pin does not count if any body part lies outside the ring (or under the rope, although that might just be WCW post-Benoit winning the title)

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

Being thrown over the top rope was traditionally a DQ in the NWA/WCW. This was not a Watts or Herd decision. Watts is famous for making Off the Top Rope moves illegal. Over the Top Rope DQs were in effect in WCW until 1998.

So BEING thrown over the top rope, which you have no control over, would be a DQ? In what cockamamie world does that make sense? Surely the one doing the throwing is to blame!

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I love the audience reaction to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qawVEKad6Qo&feature=related

I love that the other wrestler totally acts as though moving him too much might cause further damage, and gingerly drags him to the edge of the ring.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

I always thought of it basically like a dance - "ring general" is like "born leader". A perfect ring general is someone who naturally progresses to lead the others through the dance without trying to get himself over at their expense.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

InfoAficionado posted:

Where else does training occur? The gym? When they are on the road they have daily contact with the company.

Literally this. Wrestlers talk about hitting local gyms all the time on the road - not to mention major injuries sometimes take place outside the ring. Batista's pec injury happened while jogging. I'm pretty sure one of Anderson's and one of HHH's injuries happened while training too.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

DannoMack posted:

Has there ever been a gimmick where a mask had powers and took over different wrestlers who wore it? Or am I thinking of the film The Mask starring Jim Carrey?

No, but there was ALMOST a cool angle in which Charlie Haas could only win matches while wearing a luchador mask. It was killed when they had Bob Holly laugh at him, tear the mask off and beat the snot out of him.

That'll teach him for thinking for himself!

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Karmine posted:

Probably my two favorite things in the world are comedy and wrestling. Can someone point me in the direction of some of the funniest matches in wrestling history?

e: and I don't mean in a "so bad it's funny" kind of way. I mean straight up comedy wrestling.

CM Punk vs Delirious.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

My favourite was always ArmDragon, the wrestler with a dragon on his arm. It was basically CAW as himself while wearing a dragon hand puppet, and he had to do all his offence with that one arm.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

ZoDiAC_ posted:

TMZ has an article on it: Hogan threatens a lawsuit

Hilarious

I love when people go on a rant and put something like "had an open marriage" in between genuine reasons to dislike a guy. What harm did that do to anyone?

(yes, I am aware that the Warrior is religious enough to believe that its a sin to have sex outside your marriage)

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Havoc904 posted:

I can't believe the discussion got this far of masters of respective moves without Chris Masters and his Masterlock challenge.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Okay but Mike Adamle.

Enthusiasm helps. It doesn't solve everything.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

UndergroundHero posted:

They work out some spots. I once read The Hardy Boys' book (don't judge, ok!?) and they talked about practicing the Jeff walking across the ladders spot before the TLC match and not surprisingly Jeff kept botching it. They tried to talk him out of it but he said he'd be able to do it on the show and... he botched it.

I remember the story that the Hardys, E&C and the Dudleys were coming up with spots, and Jeff suggested he climb a giant ladder and then just fall off through some tables. Matt asked "what are the crowd supposed to think, a sniper shot you?" and then told him to shut up for the rest of the meeting.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Manwithastick posted:

Has a full riot ever broken out at a wrestling show? I know Jarrett can get insane heat but has the crowd ever caused a show to end early?

In ECW, Cactus Jack and Terry Funk once caused the entire audience to throw their chairs into the ring, but I think it was the close of the show anyway.

On WWE TV, the closest I saw was when Big Show screwed RVD out of the ECW title, and people started pelting the ring with trash.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

I can't give you a top 10, but Aero Star give new meaning to the word "Suicide" in the dives. Check his Top 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM488qXX2U0&feature=player_detailpage#t=331s

You're not kidding!

Edit: What is the botch rate in things like AAA? Watching videos like this its hard to understand how these guys can keep doing this without slipping/falling all the time!

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Cole & Tazz were remarkable for how boring they were together, and after his many years in the business I am not at all convinced that Cole actually cares about or likes wrestling. He is supremely phony.

Says so much that Tazz & Josh were absolute gold together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

This got a chuckle out of me so I nominate that it replaces 'bear-skin rug' as the euphemism for getting plowed by Vince. No one laughs at bear-skin rug, it's not even a joke.

Pretty sure the Bear Skin Rug comment was more about Laurinaitis or Kevin Dunn, wasn't it?

P. Gordon Diddy posted:

I always wondered about that phrase because I'm stupid. Was there ever a physical bear-skin rug, or a specific instance?

I think it was Paul London that started it, joking about being hosed in the rear end on a bare skin rug to get ahead. Unlikely such a rug ever existed.