Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

CombineThresher posted:

Before or after Dusty? Because if she left Dibiase for the American Dream, my point still stands.

And would also explain why DiBiase hates Rhodes from DiBiase's guest hosting of Raw. I still say that the best thing this guest host nonsense has brought is Cody Rhodes singing "Common Man" to Ted DiBiase Snr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

AkumaHokoru posted:

The answer is...that happened on raw. not smackdown.

No it didn't. The entire segment was based around Stephanie taking back Smackdown. Also, John Cena was in the segment.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

The Croc posted:

here the segement in question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STKbBs4qy2g

they black bar it

the end

I beg to differ:

:nws:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7829035853103006947:nws:

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

How exactly did people realize wrestling was fake? I don't watch it and I don't live in the U.S., but I heard people thought it was real like 20 years ago.

Was it just a gradual process or a GREAT REVEAL or what?

I personally figured out wrestling was fake when I saw the tag team of Steve Blackman and Ken Shamrock coming out to face the New Age Outlaws and the Outlaws didn't cry and run away.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

nyratk1 posted:

Jamie Kellner also helped ... Married with Children succeed

reality_groove posted:

He is an evil evil man.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I have absolutely ZERO memory of this I believe you may have dreamed it.

In that case, gimme a sixpack and a couple of bags of skittles.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

HorseHeadBed posted:

Why are wrestling fans so obsessed with TV ratings and buy-rates? I can understand the people working in the companies having an interest, but why is there this slavish attention to it from people it doesn't affect in the slightest?

Because the show with the higher ratings will be seen to be doing better. We want WWE to be forced to recognise Smackdown as the better show so their lovely Raw booking will go away.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Veg posted:

I'm happy cos Zack Ryder went from Chavo status to #1 contender status.

Yeah, because Chavo was never involved in the ECW title scene.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

This is why Hall stopped talking like Razor.

I thought Scott Hall NEVER stopped talking like Razor. Even out of character I find he still sounds like that.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

FoodStampBrown posted:

This is the exact reason I've always loved Tazz and the NAO 's theme songs.

See, I thought Tazz's took too long to build, much like Cena's. And as for the best interruption music, the only winner can be Muhammed Hassan.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Karmine posted:

Everything I know about Owen Hart points to him being far and away the nicest and least sleazy person in the history of professional wrestling.

It seems like a toss-up between him and Christian for the title of 'nicest guy in wrestling'. The only bad thing I've heard anyone say about Owen is that he dicussed doing the reverse-piledriver with Austin before the match, Austin refused but Owen did it anyway.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Or just being ordinary people who for whatever reason abstain from substances and don't make a big deal (or any deal) out of it whatsoever.

That's what he said :smug:

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

Edge got the push of his life because he is one of the best wrestelers and promos in the business today and hs more charisma than Matt will ever have. Even Matt has to recognize that. If this ready-made angle hadn't dropped in the writers' laps it just would have taken longer for something to get booked.

If it was anyone else with the same kind of talent, I'd agree. But this was Edge. The guy who at the time was the definition of 'failed push' (definition has since been filled by Mr. Kennedy). They'd been pushing him since 2002 and gotten nowhere. The Lita angle probably saved Edge's career.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Shitty_Wok posted:

Edit: Also, that was kind of a pussy move on Matt's part, blogging about that. Who does that? Handle it privately.

Oh you haven't seen anything yet:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x334uj_matt-hardy-reenacts-his-breakup-wit_shortfilms

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Chunky Delight posted:

To be honest it was signing Christian that made me watch TNA and I stopped caring about TNA after he left.

Same here. This wasn't a guy who was way past his prime like Sting. Or a guy who had known physical problems like Angle. This was a guy who was doing the best stuff of his career. A person who the fans were SCREAMING to get a main event program and WWE just wouldn't listen. His jumping ship to TNA actually made TNA look like a competing promotion rather than just a retirement home/glorified indie.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Moose Bigelow posted:

I am going to Royal Rumble in Atlanta this year. I want to start some poo poo rumors while standing in line to get in about who mystery entrants are in the rumble. Any suggestions?

We need believable yet not going to happen. Jeff Hardy.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I could have sworn he came out at a Madison Square Garden Royal Rumble. He didn't have a match, just came out and beat up Matt Hardy and Christopher Nowinksi from memory. Maybe it was Survivor Series, but I was sure it was the Rumble.

It couldn't have been the Rumble. He had THAT match with HHH at the Rumble. It must have been Survivor Series.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

dusty udder smoker posted:

wrestling question: why the gently caress does jericho not have a 3 disc set yet

Related question: Why don't WWE do DVD sets of storylines rather than wrestlers? Surely it would make more sense to do it that way. People would be very inclined to rush out and buy a 2/3-disc DVD set of the McMahon-Helmsley Facgime. Or Raven Vs. Dreamer. Then again, it would make a lot of sense to release all entrance themes via iTunes than simply release a compilation CD every year too.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Wazzu posted:

Did WCW not push DDP as much because he was so old, and they didn't want to risk it on a short-term investment?

Yeah, because if there was anything WCW didn't love doing, it's pushing old people.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

Linking the four part worked-shoot that was how you do the idea properly. This is required viewing for everyone, especially the WWE writers. I would say it's probably the greatest set of promos ever, at least some of the best moments from the Attitude era.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNB2CuJw6po
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QIGCaWPEwU
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8s_AKJCjew
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf9fVGi6pFQ

I noticed that they got footage from FMW and ECW in there to show Foley's past. Why don't they do that anymore? Having some footage of Danielson or (when they were originally hyping him) Punk would do wonders to build them up when you're touting them as having wrestled all over.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Marcade posted:

Bear with me trying to describe this move. In the N64 WWF games (No Mercy, I think?) there was a move in the CAW that involved the attacker sitting on the turnbuckle with his opponent standing in front of him with his back to him. The attacker would then basically flip over the opponent and perform a diamond cutter/RKO on him (I think it was called the diamond crush or something similar). My question is, does anyone actually use that move? From what I remember it looking like in the game, it doesn't appear to be something one could do safely.

Masato Tanaka used it and it was called the Diamond Dust.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don't know if the upper midcard is as good as it's ever been but it's BY FAR the deepest quality midcard they've ever had.

Morrison, Miz, Kingston, Ryder, Swagger, Rhodes, DiBiase, Kane, Yoshi, Regal, Bourne, Christian, Ziggler, Benjamin, McIntyre, MVP, Mark Henry....hell even Goldust has been pretty good lately (or was until ECW died)

Throw in a the NXT guys and I think they're really doing a solid job of prepping for the future of the organization.

Not bad considering that just over a year ago, people on this board (myself included) were beginning to panic about whether or not WWE had any future main-eventers on their roster considering the increasing age of their current stars. The young guys (for the most part) aren't ready yet but they'll be ready in time for the old-guy's retirement. And that's what's important.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

From what I can tell it involves Road Dogg doing a lot of talking and Billy Gunn eating a lot of burgers and nodding.

So it was pretty much a standard New Age Outlaws promo.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Gov. Marley posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8xmjt_lesnar-meets-cm-punk-and-mr-kennedy_sport

I wasn't watching wrestling in 2002 or most of 2003....why the gently caress was Punk there?

Rey and Eddie both worked in ROH in 02/03. Apparently, Eddie especially liked working with Punk and got WWE to use him whenever they could.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

CoronaLargesse posted:

Uhm, Morrison and Mysterio proceeded to put on a MOTYC soooo what's the problem?

:colbert:

The problem is that it helped no-one. People forget that Morrison was on the verge of the main event. He was 2-1 up against World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk. He had a complete barnburner of a World Title match with Jeff in which he became the only person I can recall who isn't called HHH to kick out of the Swanton Bomb. He was crazy over as well. Giving him the IC belt and having him feud with Ziggler killed his push and he never recovered.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Endorph posted:

Matt has to of kicked out of the Swanton Bomb at some point during him and Jeff's five different feuds.

I recall him putting his foot on the ropes but that doesn't have the same 'putting over' effect that a kickout does.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Considering they're a bunch of obnoxious cocks who ALWAYS cheer the heels, why do the ROH fans HATE Chris Hero so much? He draws the most heat in ROH at the moment.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

What? ROH crowds cheer the gently caress out of Hero. To the point where most people wonder why they bother try to keep him as a heel most of the time. The only time he really gets booed is on TV where the kids boo the heels.

The first ROH show I've watched in a while was DBD this past weekend. They loving HATED him.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

A little late maybe, but the only way to get the vast majority of fans to boo Chris Hero (or any other heel in ROH) is to turn them face so that the fans think it's expected that they cheer for him, which will make them boo him to prove they're not marks.

Dammit! How come a single thread in TVIV gets a gang tag and yet WH2K gets passed over? I want my "THE GAY COMMUNITY?!" gang-tag.

Also, apart from the fact that they never come to the UK, this is why I'm hesitant to go to an ROH show. The fans are just a bunch of contrarian cunts. And not the good kind like Chilly or Banjo.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Wojtek posted:

Our gang tag should be the spinner belt.

Nah. I stand by my "THE GAY COMMUNITY?!" suggestion.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Informal Poll: Was Jericho's best material during his heel run in WCW? He called Stephanie McMahon a gigantic whore in the Attitude Era, apparently did a whole lot of nothing from '02-'05 and at the peak of his current heel run, has been incredibly entertaining in a much different way. It's just, I notice that when people talk about how awesome Jericho is, they usually say ARMBAR or talk about conspiracies or quote anything else he said in that one year on the TV shows of a long-dead wrestling company.

I'd agree with Jericho himself when I say that his current stuff is the best work of his career. The character hasn't been as amazing as it was during the HBK feud but it's still excellent.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
They should have teamed him up with Simon Dean to make Nova-Kane

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Sionistic posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxr9pZwwSMA

in maffew's intro, who is that saying 5 stars

Minus 5 stars and it's Bryan Alvarez

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Beasley posted:

Who would you all say are the best heel tag teams?

Comedy/Serious?

New Age Outlaws got some mega heat back in their "No music, coming down the ramp trash talking their opponents" stage.

And, of course, ECW Dudleyz.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

CombineThresher posted:

It's worth noting here that AJ is intensely homophobic.

Reminder that he used to taunt his opponents in ROH by calling them 'faggots'.

He was working babyface.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

apsouthern posted:

When Sabu came to the WWE and debuted at One Night Stand he had a WHC title shot against Mysterio which ended in a no contest. Has anyone else had a title shot in their debut match and not won the title?

Can't remember if it was a title match but Paul London's debut involved him going up against then-champion, Brock Lesnar

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Cordialatron posted:

Raven and Sandman at the very least.

Had Sid worked for TNA? Because I remember him having a surprisingly cool run in ECW.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

El Axo Grande posted:

Ok, I will give a reasonably profitable wrestling promotion that runs out of three states, with one major profit center, which is consistently overshadowed by the monopoly of promoters who are all allied entirely against you.

In five years, you need to become the biggest company in the world. In ten years, you need to have defeated the monopoly you were competing against. In twenty years you have to become the monopoly.

GO!

No-one's saying it's not a big accomplishment but being the son of a millionaire and calling yourself a 'self-made man' is a bit silly. Would he have been able to do this without being given the start from his dad?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

HHH - 1995
Mark Henry - 1996
Edge - 1998
Cena - 2002

The Big Show (99) & Matt Hardy (98) both had stints where they were not in the WWE at all so I wouldn't count them.

Matt was only gone for 3 months. Undertaker takes a longer vacation every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

maniacripper posted:

Just a couple of dudes back stage warming up? Wrong. Sid and son powerbomb out of nowhere!

I'm just on my way to the major TV networks to pitch "Sid and Son" and their next big sitcom.