Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Vonnegut Asterisk posted:

I see a lot of posts on Wrestlehut about guys who should turn heel because they're more awesome that way. I want answers on the reverse: who only works as a face and sucks as a heel?

The answers I bring to the table are:

Khali
Tommy Dreamer
Sting
Jeff Hardy

Rey Mysterio can be added to this list. Pretty sure Tito Santana would have stunk as a heel, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Wazzu posted:

They didn't use light tubes, panes of glass or the especially stupid match types. CZW goes too far, following the lead of FMW.

Ian and Axl Rotten had some pretty CZWish matches, and people going through flaming tables was pretty ridiculous. But yeah, generally ECW was more about garbage wrestling than deathmatch stuff.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Free Market Gravy posted:

I think he went back to teaching (could be wrong). I don't think TNA ever really wanted him (nor did he want to be a full-time wrestler at that point) and the WWE would never have had a place for him. His entire draw in ECW was that he was the little, goofy scrawny guy who could slay the giants. What goofy, scrawny guy in the WWE has ever been successful or gotten a lot of screen time, even as a comedy character? Vince loves his giants and would never let them be slayed, so that left Spike to get over as a serious wrestler. You can imagine how well that would work.

Spike got fairly over with the Molly Holly romance angle and the moments during the Invasion where he defied Austin. Let's not underestimate the guy too much here.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

GOP posted:

Also, New Jack was CZW before CZW was cool. But he was charismatic and crazy enough to be talentless.

More to the point, he had a BADASS entrance, an actual character (crazy militant black thug), and wasn't put in a position to carry the company at any point. He was generally used as an attraction, which is a good way to book guys like him instead of the way Ian or Zandig run things.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TL posted:

Honestly, I sometimes wonder what the Attitude Era would have sounded like if Gorilla and Jesse were still calling it. When Jesse came out to do PBP for that Raw before Summerslam 99 I got goosebumps from being so excited to hear him behind the mic.

Gorilla was/is really underrated as a play-by-play guy. I mean yes Gordon Solie was awesome, but Gorilla was one of the voices of my youth and he had chemistry with a lot of people; Jesse, Heenan, Mean Gene, even dipshits like Lord Alfred sounded good next to him.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jerusalem posted:

Gorilla was great for reacting to people and having his color guys bounce lines off of him. He tended to repeat the "spontaneous" lines over and over again over the years, but he had a great voice and his,"Oh will you stop!" was always fun to hear.

I enjoyed how no one could execute an abdominal stretch to his liking.

Any reason why he gets ignored by management these days?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Because he's been dead for 10 years?

So? Gordon Solie never worked for Vince at all, and he gets mentioned all the time.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Fallon posted:

Stop bragging

Anyway content: What drugs that aren't roids do people think wrestlers have done? I think New Jack has done crack, Morrison has done LSD, Jeff has done crystal meth, and everyone in the 80s was on coke.

Percosets, Somas, Oxycontin, and Vicodin are popular among wrestlers. Hell, I think Raven did all those simultaneously, plus he was a big X-head, too.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

nyratk1 posted:

Terri Runnels

Yeah, gonna have to go with Terri; Goldust, Meat, the Hardys, Saturn, Raven...yipes.

Then again, Sapphire picked Dusty Rhodes, so maybe she's the winner.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

KungFu Grip posted:

Sapphire also picked the Million Dollar Man.

Before or after Dusty? Because if she left Dibiase for the American Dream, my point still stands.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

rotinaj posted:

What's Raven up to these days?

Does he still have a wrestling school in Atlanta? Last I heard, he'd opened one with 6-Pac's help.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

Did you win it for predicting how many times he'd use the word tremendous in a given week?

Or by how often he updates his blog? (hint: never)

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Wazzu posted:

You know what's a terrible idea? A super-heavyweight title.

Yes. I'm shocked that Vince didn't think of it first, though.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Foul Fowl posted:

How exactly did people realize wrestling was fake? I don't watch it and I don't live in the U.S., but I heard people thought it was real like 20 years ago.

Was it just a gradual process or a GREAT REVEAL or what?

Jack Pfefer exposed the business to the New York Daily Mirror back in the 30s, but even before that people had their suspicions. I mean, grown men punching each other in the face without leaving bruises or knocking out teeth is pretty telling.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LividLiquid posted:

That book is also full of glaring inaccuracies. I have old Nitros on tape that they talk about and poo poo happens very, very differently on more-than-a-few instances.

I enjoyed the read, but it's hardly a trustworthy source.

Plus, as much as I hate to agree with Kevin Nash, WCW's parent company going down the shitter had way more to do with the death of WCW than anyone's booking did. Russo did make their TV unwatchable from pretty much the moment he got the book, though.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

WeaselWeaz posted:

You, Nash, Kevin Sullivan, and many others can't see the forest through the trees. The argument that Kellner/AOL/the accountant's didn't want wrestling is part of the issue, but the main reason is that they didn't want a huge money-loser as part of the merged company. WCW still got good ratings for cable TV, but had giant contracts and was millions in the red. Hell, if Kellner knew details about WCW he would know that the contracts were heavily favored towards the talent and the business only had a few years of profitability in the decade or so Turner owned it.

My point is more that AOL/Time-Warner itself was poorly run, and it's hard to expect one subsidiary to survive that much bloodletting once the stock prices plummeted. It didn't help that no one at Turner really wanted wrestling around anymore, and would rather spend more money on "classier" programming with less of a return.

I'll grant you the point about contracts, but were those even under Russo's jurisdiction? He was making the TV unwatchable, but I didn't think he was responsible for signing people or negotiating their money.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

WeaselWeaz posted:

But I'm not blaming Russo for the death of WCW either. He was just another nail in the coffin and no one person is responsible for WCW's death.

Okay. That's pretty much all I was trying to say, too.

Gr1mm posted:

People seem to forget that the Wolfpac was over as gently caress.

This. Also, the Malenko/Jericho feud produced some of the loudest sustained crowd reactions I've ever heard. Malenko taking off the Ciclope mask in particular was a huge moment.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Writer Cath posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WZ_7GZgpaM

Remember how loving over Kidman was?

Yep. That's why it's a shame to see him all fat now.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Captain Charisma posted:

Regardless, it was loving stupid. They were trying to get Dr. Death, a guy who could do real wrestling, over. So they book a SHOOT tournament where you box :psypop:

Odd that Marc Mero didn't do better, considering this.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Kulex posted:

So here's a question I've always been somewhat curious about. Does anyone know why the nWo said, 'Too sweet,' the way they did? I always thought it was something peculiar.

I think they stole that from listening to Yokozuna's gangsta rap on the bus during European tours.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

HulkaMatt posted:

He was a plus for some entrances.

Then again that was a pretty great entrance for Goldberg.

Yeah, but he didn't do much for Bret Clark.

CombineThresher fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 30, 2009

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

EvilMuppet posted:

It's neither of those, it comes from one of Foley's books. He's making fun of a wrestler (whose name I can't recall)

It was Pat Patterson.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jerusalem posted:

And the joke in the book was about how when Foley was desperately hoping for a call from WWF, his Dad told him that someone called Pat Patterson had rung about a job. Foley got all excited then figured it might be a prank, so asked if the man had trouble with pluralization, and his Dad said yes. So Foley got all excited and thought Patterson was going to give him a job (and I think even called Patterson!) until he found out it was Shane Douglas, who had left a message along the lines of,"Tells Micks Foleys thats thes WWFs woulds likes tos gives hims as jobses."

Foley's telling of this story on one of the 24/7 Legends Roundtable things is really funny for two reasons; his terrible Pat Patterson impression, and Pat being right across the table from him, laughing sheepishly.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Axissillian posted:

I dunno, the longer Kurt is gone from the WWE the more batshit insane on pills he gets.

Bret is just overstating his accomplishments like every other retired wrestler, but Kurt has gone irredeemably crazy.

What's overlooked with Bret is how amazing the WWE video editing guys are, as they made him look and sound humble throughout his entire DVD set.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jerusalem posted:

You can't even say that Bret is the craziest Canadian because BAM, Chris Benoit took that bullet for him.

More like Bret gave Benoit just enough rope to...er, nevermind.

Bret is a big baby, but I'll cut him a little slack because his stroke probably affected his brain and thereby his perception of things.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

triplexpac posted:

It comes from the Monday Night Wars, I think. Bischoff was obsessed over Nitro's ratings beating Raw, and that attitude has carried over. Vince even said on the Monday Night Wars dvd that he really didn't care that much about ratings until Nitro came along.

Also, it's the only way that smarks can justify their favorite wrestlers/promotions because wrestling is fake.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Psychlone posted:

Is Abdullah the Butcher in the Hall of Fame yet? If not, he deserves to me. I'd add Ivan Koloff and Bruiser Brody to that list too.

I can't see Brody or Abby ever getting in, but Ivan Koloff is a former world champion, so he'll probably get inducted sooner or later.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Karmine posted:

Plus, and this is kinda hosed up but, Brody's story kinda makes the business look sleazy.

Look I'm a progressive guy but "got stabbed in Puerto Rico" probably doesn't send the message Vince wants to send.

Yeah, good point. Granted, the message Vince wants to send changes every month or so, and even their sugarcoated WCCW DVD was full of talented guys ODing or killing themselves, but Brody's death was too sad and divisive for him to make it in.

With Abby, I don't think Vince gives a poo poo about him, honestly. Has Vince ever shown interest in him?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Since I don't ask enough questions in this thread, here's a random one:

Has there ever been a tag team or stable based on the Baseball Furies? I've never seen one, and for some reason I think it would be awesome.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ultimateforce posted:

They would have to sell baseball bats as their weapons and it would be even worse than HHH's sledgehammer of doom.

Sting had a baseball bat and he did okay with it.

Hell, Sting was kind of a Baseball Fury in his rafter days.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Also in case you are not sped up on Hassan, the Undertaker essentially kayfabe killed him at Great American Bash '05 by Last Riding him through the stage. The guy who played him has pretty much dropped off the face of the Earth, not a peep from him that I can find since then--which suggests he either left on bad terms or decided to be a plumber or something.

Probably bad terms; according to Lance Storm, Hassan was an rear end in a top hat who couldn't wrestle and was always getting hurt, and given the short shelf life of that type of character, he didn't go out of his way to secure longterm employment for himself.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

No, that's what they pay for car insurance.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ColeM posted:

Okay I have one: What was the Katie Vick storyline?

A really, REALLY bad idea.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

WeaselWeaz posted:

Billy Gunn was a mid-carder for life, and the feud with The Rock designed to make him a main event heel was doomed from day one. Still, he had a good body and was acceptable in the ring, so they kept him around for years after that.

I think calling Gunn acceptable might be doing him a favor - he got visibly winded after like five minutes of wrestling and didn't have enough personality to make up for it. He's one of the best examples of guys being kept around purely for their look. Of course, his retarded "rear end Man" gimmick didn't do him any favors.

Still, he and Road Dogg were entertaining as hell with what little they did. They talked tons of poo poo, Road Dogg sold, and Billy got the hot tag. Sometimes that's all you need.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Karmine posted:

The hugest reaction I've ever heard for any single sound was when the glass shattered when Austin ran in on the Rock/Mankind match where Mankind first won the title.

Holy loving poo poo pops like that don't happen anymore.

I think the Austin/Dude Love match at Over the Edge '98 had amazing heat throughout, especially Austin counting the pinfall with Vince's hand.

Overall, though, there was nothing like crowds during Rock 'N Roll Express matches. Jesus Christ, the screaming would last an entire match with those two.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Gotta love his face here.

"Really, guys? REALLY?"

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jerusalem posted:

His testicles.

No wonder he died young.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

atamarav posted:

I loved the Homicide title chase storyline throughout the last half of 2006, culminating with his big emotional win at Final Battle 2006. My question is why is it that he had such a ridiculously short title reign right after?

TNA pulled all their contracted talent, including Homicide, so they had to get the belt off him, I think. Plus, some guys build more crowd support chasing the belt than holding it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

grody but still def posted:

triple h/shawn michaels

Michael Hayes and Pat Patterson have also been critical of his behavior, as have Kevin Nash and Scott Hall. They even joke about Bret specifying title reigns in his contract and taking lower pay than he was worth just so he could hold the belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Meat Recital posted:

The New Age Outlaws did too I think, but they weren't as harsh as other members of the clique and Vince's inner circle, but they did call him a mark for himself and for the belt. It's been a while since I watched that shoot though, so I'm probably a bit off.

They were pretty harsh, actually, with Road Dogg being particularly nasty about Bret's tendency to do the same thing every night. Like Road Dogg has ANY room to talk.

Honky Tonk Man has made similar criticisms, but he hates everyone so I don't know if he counts. Bad News Brown thought Bret was a mark for himself, too.