Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

TL posted:

So how are the WrestleMania Anthology DVDs? Are there any worthwhile extras or anything are them. I've long wanted Volume 1 and 2 of it, and I found them at an FYE earlier today. But they're 35 bucks each. Is it worth $70 for the first 10 WrestleManias on DVD?

I've got the complete boxset, and there aren't any DVD extras, just the shows. The only bonus you get is that each volume comes with a collectible card featuring a famous WrestleMania moment on a piece of film. 35 dollars doesn't sound too bad for a volume, just 7 bucks a Wrestlemania.

edit: A big drawback for them is that they change out some of the entrance themes. For example you won't hear Big Bossman's "Hard Times" or Demolition's "Here comes the Ax, here comes the Smasher".

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Umbra Dubium posted:

I hear they've edited it so that Hogan wins WrestleMania VI this time.

And they edited the Triple H/Ultimate Warrior match at Wrestlemania XII so the match ends immediately when Ultimate Warrior gets pedigreed.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't the Jackal (Cyrus on ECW, I think?) also get lowered down from the rafters playing a piano?

I can't imagine ECW affording a piano, let alone the means to lower it from the rafters.

My favorite Maestro moment was when he debuted. There was a match going on in the ring, the commentators were talking about the main event, and then out of nowhere this man playing a piano was lowered from the rafters. They went to commercials without the commentators mentioning it once.

VVVV Ahh, I misread. VVVV

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 3, 2009

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Something just occurred to me about Sheamus and his title shot. When was the last time there was a number one contender in a PPV main event that doesn't have a t-shirt or any merchandise?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Farooq, Bob Holly, and Umaga all had at least action figures before they got title shots.

Farooq's title shot was at King of the Ring 1997. He blamed the loss on the Nation of Domination and he fired Clarence, Crush, and Savio, so this toy set was from before his title shot.

Bob Holly's title shot was at Royal Rumble 2004. This action figure was from 1999.

Umaga's title shot was at Royal Rumble 2007. This action figure is from Cyber Sunday 2006 because he had his "Samoa" tattoo by Cyber Sunday 2007.

Yes I'm very bored.

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 26, 2009

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

When did Farooq Asad get a title shot?

King of the Ring 1997
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_the_Ring#1997

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

inconsequential posted:

How hilarious would that be if Bret really was harboring a grudge and decided to stretch Vince with the sharpshooter and tear his quad or break his loving leg? I'd laugh.

It would be hilarious if either one of them shot on the other.

Bret buries the hatchet with Vince and Shawn, and then goes through this whole angle and comeback to just get the chance to knock out Vince again in real life "on the biggest stage of them all". Or Vince goes to the trouble of finally talking Bret to come back to WWE just to screw him over again "on the biggest stage of them all" over 10 years later for shits and giggles.

Unfortunately I think they're too professional to do that. :sigh:

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

ChampRamp posted:

Another question. McMahon hating Savage. Is that Stef w/ Mach rumor the reason? Have either addressed it?

It's one of the great mysteries of wrestling. I don't believe it was the Slim Jim deal. Vince has done business with tons of people over the years he's had bad blood with: Hogan, Hall, Nash, Bret, Ventura. Hell they even tried to get Warrior to go in the hall of fame this year. I'd like to believe that Savage did something unspeakably horrible to Vince.

... but only Oliver knows, and apparently he isn't talking.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I honestly can't see Vince McMahon letting something as horrifying as Savage defiling his teen daughter go. I'm pretty drat sure that Vince & Linda would have insisted on having the cops involved.

Maybe it was Linda that Savage defiled. :raise:

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Jerry Flynn was a JTTS and not a true jobber like hundreds of nameless scrubs.

Jobbers to the Stars are built up to lose to the stars. Name one person Jerry Flynn beat.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Davros1 posted:

He was managed by Jimmy Hart, and later beat Ernest Miller at Uncensored.

Good for him.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Was it the original La Parka that had the Thriller entrance from the Youtube video?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I've always wondered why Finlay was called "Fit" Finlay. Was it just because he was in shape or was it some Irish thing I'm not aware of? It just seems like a lame nickname, especially for a wrestler.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He died at a dude's house (in his own vomit) because he's gay, you see

Are you sure it was "his" vomit? You can't really dust for vomit.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Graic posted:

To me, the subscription is worth it just for the newsletter and the Wrestling Observer radio show. I'm not into wrestling as much as I was a year or so ago, but their MMA coverage is top notch, and is the main reason I stay on. Newsletter gives me something to read in my down time too.

Besides ROH and their iPPVs, I've pretty much given up on current televised wrestling. I'm just not entertained by WWE or TNA's product anymore, but earlier this week I just resubscribed to F4W for another three months. I still love wrestling and hearing about it. Their audio shows are great for me to listen to at work, and they have a new one just about every day.

I wrote on the Board a few weeks ago that I feel like I pay Dave, Bryan, and Vinny every month to watch all the poo poo for me and then tell me about it.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

El Duke posted:

This will always be my favorite:

Here Comes the Shovel.

This will always be my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTPsZUJtwPw

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

The appeal of Sabu has always been how unpredictable he was, which leads to him also being greatly inconsistent.

Mikey Whipwreck was on F4W Daily about a month or two ago, and he said that Sabu would often botch on purpose. Sabu's reasoning was that if the matches were real, the moves would be botched sometimes. I don't know if that's really true, or if that was just Sabu's way of saving face.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Is there any dream match in the world right now that WWE can be build up for 3 weeks that can save Bragging Rights from doing a total poo poo buyrate?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Moose Bigelow posted:

Which wrestlers have the biggest penises? Which ones are on the Hulkamatt end of the scale?

This is the kind of question Dave Meltzer should answer.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

In his book Mick Foley said that 2 Cold Scorpio has a massive wang.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Don't forget about Matt Striker.

Babysnakes! posted:

Is wrestling real?

Please don't clog up this thread with stupid questions.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

My vote goes to the Rock, like everything else he does it with a great deal of rhythm and charisma and makes it look so effortless and athletic at the same time.

I always thought the Rock did the worst Sharpshooter. He never seemed to put pressure on the guy. He just squatted slightly, leaned his head back, and opened his mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WasZTh75hCY

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

The ring steps are part of the ring even though they aren't attached. So it is the same as slamming someone into the turnbuckles or post.

The announce table is part of the ring side area, so you can generally use it the same way you can use the guard rail. If you slam someone into it, or do moves involving it, fine. It is just part of the environment. But if you pick something up and use it as a weapon, especially in the ring that is illegal. It is no longer a passive part of the ring side area, it is now an active weapon.

How about exposed turnbuckles?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

The more I think about that Hell in a Cell match, the more baffled I am that they were allowed to do that. There is always a level of danger in a wrestling match, in particular gimmick matches, but that match was over the top ridiculous.

Could you imagine if Foley died? They were able to settle out of court with Martha Hart because Owen's fall was an accident (even though I still feel they were responsible), but how would they have been able to defend this? These were planned parts in a match.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Arn ruins every DVD he's been in by talking in kayfabe, gently caress Arn Anderson.

I'd like to think that Ric Flair has been pranking Arn his whole wrestling career into thinking it's all real, and everyone else just follows along with it when he's around.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

Would someone explain the nWo Wulfpac? How it formed, who was in it, interesting storylines, etc.? I have heard it was the beginning of the downfall of the nWo/WCW, but I remember it being crazily popular with my elementary school peers. It was big about a year before I got into wrestling, so I don't know much about it outside it involved Hall, Nash, and that "Wulfpac sumthing sumthing mass destruction" theme.

It was an offshoot of the original NWO. Going off the top of my head, after Starrcade 97 there was an NWO power struggle with Randy Savage and Kevin Nash each wanting to take the leadership from Hogan. They wound up joining together to form the NWO Wolfpac. Konnan, Curt Hennig, and Rick Rude followed them and I believe Lugar was WCW when he joined. Hennig and Rude soon turned on the Wolfpac and went back to the original NWO. Then for some reason both NWOs started vying for Sting, even though Sting was the main enemy of the NWO and the main babyface of WCW. After a Nitro main event, Sting came down from the rafters and unbuttoned his shirt to reveal the black and white NWO shirt to the delight of Hogan, but when he turned around Sting took off the shirt to reveal the red and black shirt and beat the crap out of him.

The two NWOs feuded for a while until the fingerpoke of doom when both factions joined back together. Since the red and black NWO gang was seen as "cooler", that was adopted as the main colors for the main team, and the NWO B-Team was stuck with the black and white.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

The nWo silver was later on and headed up by Jarrett right?

Not originally. NWO silver was created during Russo's first WCW booking run and it was formed at Starrade 99. It was formed when Jeff Jarrett (US Champ), Kevin Nash and Scott Hall (Tag Champs) helped Bret Hart win the World Championship from Goldberg (the match that gave Hart the career ending concussion). A week or two later Scott Steiner joined.

That didn't last long because Hart had to retire, and then Jarrett turned on Hall & Nash, so the NWO wound up being just Jarrett, Steiner, the Harris Brothers, and the NWO girls.

So Russo booked a super heel group that held all the titles at the conclusion of a tournament. It was combination of the only booking ideas he ever has.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Suben posted:

So what are some examples of wrestlers screwing up pushes?

Mr. Kennedy hosed up at least three times.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Lance Storm is doing pretty good. He runs a wrestling school and only wrestles when he wants to, but then again Lance Storm has got to be one the most straight laced and responsible guys in wrestling. I'd like to know if he has any vices at all.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Savage and Elizabeth stayed together in real life after the split on TV in the 80s.

And then they wound up getting back together on TV after being split in real life in the 90s.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

What bought X-Pac back from WCW to WWF?

He seems like the kind of guy who'd prefer the lax WCW environment.

From Wikipedia:

During that October Waltman injured his neck and was forced out of action, but continued to appear on camera for several weeks after. While recuperating from his injury, Waltman was fired by then WCW President Eric Bischoff as a show of force to keep Hall and Nash in check due to locker room instability caused by the three, as well as Waltman's lack of commitment. Bischoff claimed that Waltman was a competent performer "when sober," but that these periods were "few and far between." He asserted that "in many ways, Sean was lucky to even have a job."

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Well, there were fuckload more people than that.

Andre was, at this point, probably over 10 feet tall and a half-ton or more in weight. Hulkster pressed him overhead (tearing his entire left side in the process) and threw him to the mat, before crushing Andre's larynx with the Big Leg. This was all a shoot, as Andre was refusing to cooperate with Hulk, and Hogan, a former shooter in his New Japan days, had to take care of business the hard way.

At least that's the way I always heard it.

Basically this,

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Chunky Delight posted:

What caused MVP to go from one of the hottest superstars in the WWE to essentially a joke before he finally got future endeavored?
I am not saying MVP was ever going to main event but I could of seen him as a lifelong Upper Midcarder that gets a world title reign or two as a thank you for your years of service. Sure MVP wasn't the most technical wrestler but he could put on decent to good matches on a regular basis. He was a great promo as a heel and acceptable as a face. So what happened?

How is MVP doing in Japan?

He talked poo poo to the guy giving him a piss test, so they gave him a losing streak. Also he didn't get fired, he asked for his release because he wanted to work in Japan because that was always his dream.

If you want to know more, check out Dave Lagana's "I Want Wrestling" podcast. He interviews him for almost 2 hours.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Suben posted:

They also gave him the losing streak in order to get fan sympathy for him and turn him face with the idea of giving him a big push (I believe) out of it.

I know MVP said he got fan sympathy, but I don't believe that WWE actually jobbed him out get fan sympathy. I think they were punishing him, and he got the sympathy on his own because he connects with the crowd.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

I'd like an example of the last time a losing streak didn't lead to a guy getting buried and/or released since WH seems to love saying it leads to a huge push

The only examples I can think of are Mikey Whipwreck and Chris Jericho, but those losing streaks had a purpose that led to something important happening to the character. (Whipwreck getting the tag belt, Jericho turning heel)

Some guy losing for 6 months for no reason and no payoff does no favors to that guy at all, and it just makes him look like a loser to fans.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

Triple H: Do I get my win back?
Warrior: No.
*both phones hang up at the same time*

I want them to edit future releases of that Wrestlemania to where the match ends right after the pedigree, and it just goes directly to the next match.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

One of my favorite memories of that time period was when Stephanie had Steve Blackman help Kurt Angle cheat to win his matches. Then Triple H threatened Blackman to not attack Angle's opponent tonight. So Blackman comes out to the ring and whacks Angle with the kendo stick in front of the referee so Angle won by DQ.

I thought that was clever.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

The Shaman of Cum posted:

i don't know any specifics but there's stories about people congratulating him after a match if they see him after the show, "great match" that kind of poo poo and he'll be like "how do you know its a great match?" and interrogate the guy about it or something. he's real weird

A year or two ago after the Wrestlemania weekend shows, Bryan Alvarez was out at a bar with a lot of the ROH guys. He approached Aries who I think was drunk, telling him how much he enjoyed his match, and Aries starting being a dick to him saying "What makes you think you can judge matches?" and stuff like that.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Phenix Rising posted:

I'm with you here. And so what if he IS a dick? Some people are, some people aren't. He's awesome at his job, so I don't need to like him in real life. If he really is an rear end in a top hat, he'd be like the reverse John Cena - awesome in the ring, not so much in real life.

From what I heard, being a dick backstage is what cost him his job with ROH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

It spins now, doesn't it?

It's always been able to spin. Hell, Miz spun it around to make the W a M.

edit:

AkumaHokoru posted:

no its locked now

This. They just lock it unless they want it to spin, but it can still spin.