Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

This is my first time going through the process of figuring out why my '04 250 isn't starting after winter so I've just got a couple of questions. Keep in mind that I have never worked on any automotive poo poo before. Also, the bike always did take a little to get started since I bought it from its second owner and I almost always had to start the bike with the choke on all the way.

The starter cranks the engine but after 3-4 times of holding the starter for like 5 seconds I need to throw the battery on the charger again. Is this an indication that the battery needs to be replaced?

I took off the tank (drained it too) and checked the plugs. From comparing them to pics online they look fine. I'll probably just replace them anyway since they're 2 bucks or whatever but here's a pic just to be sure.

I'm a little hesitant to try and clean the carbs since even after reading the guide on ninja250.org I'm still confused. I began by draining the float bowls and something I noticed when I did this was that next to nothing came out of one of the bowls and about 1oz came out of the other. I'm assuming this is bad and means I need to just suck it up and take the carbs off for a cleaning. If my bike starts using starter fluid this is definitely it then, yeah?

punch drunk fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Forgot to update after the forums went down but I replaced the battery and put new gas in and after a bit it sputtered to life. As far as winterizing I just threw some Stabil in the tank and drained the bowls. I'm guessing the battery went because I just stored it in the basement over the winter and I never put it on a charger plus being a couple years old. Does leaving it on the tender the whole winter really make a significant difference?

punch drunk fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 5, 2014

• Locked thread