Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoCleverName
Nov 16, 2006

I've got a Black and Green 05 with 918 miles on it. I haven't actually ridden it yet as it's still being worked on, but I'm close now. Bought it with one broken front turn signal and a whole lot of filth throughout the internals from sitting outside for 2 years without being ridden.

In the process of taking off the wheels and getting the tires replaced with some Sport Demons. I'll grab some pictures tomorrow if I get a chance.

Edit* I've got, in PDF format, the 250 Service Manual Supplement which explains a lot of the mechanical work in much more detail than ninja250.org. I'll upload it somewhere if I can get confirmation from a mod that it doesn't count as filez.

Edit2* Anyone know whether the front axle bolt on the 250 is 22 or 23mm? The 24 I got for the back is too big and the 21 I have is too small. I can't seem to find the info on the internet anywhere.

NoCleverName fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoCleverName
Nov 16, 2006

How long does it take your Ninjettes to warm up? I don't know if I'm being impatient with the warmup time, but the first time I ride my bike after it's cooled down, it takes forever to actually get going. Letting off the clutch as slow as I can stalls the bike. Giving throttle while I'm letting off the clutch stalls the bike. Eventually I can get it going and then it will behave better from that point onwards, but that initial start is always a bitch. I had to move it today, and it took probably 10 minutes until it would move without stalling. This was several minutes after it no longer required choke to idle.

NoCleverName
Nov 16, 2006

sklnd posted:

My startup procedure is this:
Turn bike on, have choke at about half. Adjust choke as needed to keep the RPMs below 3000. Put on helmet and other gear. Start riding, turn off choke. By the time I'm at my first stoplight (half a block) its usually warm. Sometimes it take a little longer, so I just dork with the throttle until its happy.

When my valves needed to be adjusted, the thing took a long time to warm up, and was easy to kill. So, if you've put enough miles on since the last valve job, that might be worth looking into.

Bike's new to me. 2005 with ~940 miles. Is it worth trying to work on the valves myself? I've read the ninja250.org article on valve adjustment but I can't really get a grasp on how difficult it actually is. Would it also be worthwhile to sync the carbs? I've pulled and cleaned them twice since I got the bike.

NoCleverName
Nov 16, 2006

Nerobro posted:

It may be several minutes before the bike will idle on it's own. that's normal. But the bike should be "ridable" within seconds of startup. if it's not, you still have some carb cleaning to do.

"cold blooded" bikes mean "I have dirty pilot circuits" not anything inherant in the bike.

Could it be where I set my pilot screws? I did 2.5 turns which is apparently the default for the 250. I think I cleaned the carbs pretty thoroughly the last time I did it, but if it isn't the pilot screws I'll have to pull them again because something is definitely wrong right now.

NoCleverName
Nov 16, 2006

So, while sealing my gas tank I've come to learn that it leaks when upside down. Not a ton, but it's definitely noticeable. Anyone else's Ninja do this? If it's not normal, could it allow rain water into the tank? I took apart the tank cap and didn't notice anything wrong with it.

• Locked thread