Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

So, I finally got my first street bike today - ZZR250R (which I believe (from all my research) is basically an old version of the Ninja 250, 1991 model). Hopefully you guys will let me post here!

Completely over the moon about finally getting a street bike, had my bike Ls for 2 weeks now and it's been killing me that the only bikes we have are a Ninja 650 and a VF1000F (neither of which I can ride as a learner in Australia). I've been riding dirt bikes for about 4 months now and was getting bored (except for fanging around in mud). Riding a street bike has been my dream for a long time, I never really felt like acting on it until I started riding dirt bikes.

I'll grab some pictures in the morning, and if you guys are interested I might put some up - it's just had its 40k service, new tires and basically everything - runs perfect. Are there any quirks I should be on the lookout for on this bike?

Anyway, just wanted to share - haven't been able to sleep the last few nights from excitement of finally getting a bike >.>

I'm one of those people who really analyse things so the more info I could get on riding these the better :)

Psyched to finally join the riding community! :D

e: 2 weeks isn't long I know, but I've been itching for this since I first sat on a dirt bike.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

deadlinguo posted:

In my opinion, it's way worse. I park my bike and my car in the same space, and was super distracted today when I was in a rush parking the car. You can figure out the rest. The damage to my ego is probably worse than the damage to the bike, unless that bolt was meant to hold onto something really important.

You're right, that is way worse.

I always park my bike at the street side of a parking space just to make sure everyone can see it before they go to turn into the space.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

sildargod posted:

I don't know if this is the right place for it to go, but it is a 250 so it's kind of appropriate.

Jonway, oh how I hate Jonway.

I have a Jonway Bashan 250r which is nothing more than a hopped up scooter really, (it develops NINE killowatts watson!) which is my introduction into the wonderful world of motorbikering. I love it. I love the machine, I love the fact that my commute is down from 3 hours in each direction to less than an hour and I love the various stresses the road offers.

I don't love the quality of the workmanship however. Quality control is not so much lax as non-existant. It started with a missing bolt on the gear shift, compensated for by overtightening of the remaining bolt in the pair. Halfway through my evening commute, the lever started flopping about as opposed to the satisfying clunk of an upshift that I'm used to. Then, I realised yesterday, my exhaust was no longer attached to anything... The bolt holding that in place was also gone and the clips had perished and snapped. Figuring I should get going with my 2000km service (Yes, the bike hasn't even hit 2000km - 1200 miles) I removed the faring covering the sparkplug. The engine doesn't fit the body.

While unscrewing the oil top-up cap, half a turn in I saw that the cap wasn't able to be removed as it was turning straight into part of the chassis. I resolved this by sawing away portions of it that were causing the block (portions of the cap, not the chassis) and was able to top my oil up. Going around to the petrol filter only revealed that the petrol line is completely frayed and I would have needed to replace it altogether if I so much as breathed on it.

Reassembling the fairings put me in a position to see that where the exhaust enters the engine itself was also missing bolts to keep the exhaust gasket in place. The exhaust had actually created a seal due to it's hanging on for dear life the way it was and being reattached to the bike had loosened the seal and shown the gasket to be completely perished.

So my commute in to work was hampered slightly by a severe loss of horsepower due to this, and by severe I mean I'm probably running on all of 6kw now and it's frightening.

As I say, I love the bike, it's been a perfect introduction to biking and it really wasn't expensive - I got it for around $900, which was what I could afford at the time. The lady that owned it put less than 100 miles on it before buying a Yamaha r6, and it's sat since. It's just such a shame that the quality control on the bike is a total disaster because it's lots of fun and doesn't look half bad either.

My question now is what to do with it? Should I trade it in on a cbr250r or a Ninja 250r? I've ridden 1000 miles on it, mostly in rush-hour traffic but some on glorious open road and minor twisties in the areas around me. My big concern is how will the Honda or the Kawasaki do with my 100 mile all highway commute? The poor Bashan does me no favours when I need to overtake slow-moving trucks but it handles the distances very well. Should I look at something like a SV650?

Thank you fellow 250-goons!

I've done a 300km trip on my ZZR-250 (which is the old model of the current Ninja 250 line) without any issues - more than enough power to stay safe, maintain highway speeds and be comfortable. I can only imagine the new models would be even better.

A friend of mine had a CBR250R, 2009 model I think and he quite enjoyed it, it was a bit wide for my tastes, but to each their own. Should note that I'm 6"1 and still find my little Kawa comfortable.

As for what you should do with the bike - it sounds like you'll be safer getting rid of it, a shoddy workmanship bike isn't something I would want at all, I'm pretty paranoid about anything going wrong with my bike and check it over every evening when I'm home - I think I'd go insane with problems like you've mentioned.

--------

Onto my question - I got my new Rego sticker today and don't want to put it on the number plate again - I'm looking at a little screw on the front left shock - can anyone tell me what it is? It's just about the larger one. I have a feeling it's not something I could stick the plastic cover I put my sticker into on, but if I can move it there I'd much rather that. At the moment it's just inside where my left foot sits on the peg, held into place using one of the fairing screws (it's secure there as is the screw).

I'll take a picture in a second and upload it.

e: Where it is now

The little screw on top is where I'd like it if I can put it there?

e2: While I'm at it, is it an issue if there's a crack in that line in the picture above this? I assume that's the brake line and it's just the plastic that's cracked - no issues with braking or anything.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 14, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

AncientTV posted:

Shimrod, I believe that's the fork oil drain plug.

So I probably shouldn't use it then huh? :P

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Odette posted:

My 250 barely does the speed limit (100km/hr), and revving it any higher is just pissing away fuel.

What kind of 250 do you have?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

1300 is a steal for that bike, at least where I am (australia). I paid 1700 for mine and it needed repaired fairing, indicators and a few other things.

If you do get it check out ninja250.org to learn a bit about it.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Is your Air Filter ruined or just dirty? You should be able to just clean it out.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

AncientTV posted:

And then in regards to cleaning, I've never cleaned my bikes, aside from spraying them down, so can't help you there :buddy:

I didn't notice this in his post, but I just clean it with the same stuff I do a car - just make sure you don't Armorall the seat :P

(Seriously, don't do it)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

BlackLaser posted:

Is the pregen seat known to be terrible? I have no other motorcycle seat experience to compare to. I rode for around 2 hours Friday night and my rear end still hurt the next day.

We have 3 old Ninjas and I can confirm the stock seat is poo poo on them all - I got mine reupholstered by a saddler for $40 who put some sort of extra comfy foam layer on top of the new normal foam he replaced and its 10x better. I can sit on it all day now.

E: I needed it redone anyway because the leather was stuffed but id get it redone on a good seat as well now that I know how much a difference it makes.

e2: loving phone autospell

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 30, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Try playing around with your key position a little, mine does that sometimes.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Try jump starting the bike off your car or something and leaving it running? I'm not sure if it works for bikes but it should give the battery some charge after a while.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Z3n posted:

Doesn't work on most bikes...has to be at 4k+ rpm on a 250 to charge :)

Handy to know!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Congrats, bike looks nice.

If you don't mind me asking, why get your endorsement in '08 but not get it on your license or bike until now? And yeah, probably good to do a refreshed. Good luck!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Fair enough

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Haha, that's awesome.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Quick question, is it odd that the choke on my bike won't stay on unless I hold it on? It just flicks back to the off position (or whatever the default position for it is called). I can never just flick my bike on while I'm getting dressed in a morning because I need to hold the choke open to keep the bike alive initially.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I didn't even know there was supposed to be a clamp. I don't think the choke cable is hung up on anything, where would this clamp be?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Welcome to the club!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Odd problem - the speedo on my ZZR broke .. the actual needle fell into 2 pieces. I have the dial and a tiny little bit of orange needle left to guestimate my speed from. I called up Kawa to see about getting it fixed and they told me it was a sealed unit and I'd be looking at about $200 for a repair job from people that pull the whole thing apart and fix the internals or $500 for a new one. A 2nd hand one from a wrecker is about $200 as well.

Can I just take the clear plastic cover off the speedo dial and put a new needle in there or is it truly sealed? I assume you can open them up somehow if people refurbish them, but I'm not sure if I have to pull it apart from the back or if I can just get that little cover off. It's still on the bike and I need it in 1 piece to be able to get anywhere (only transportation) so I haven't dived in headfirst because I'll probably lose something/break something if I have to go in through the back of it.

Anyone got any idea about this?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Off the top of my head Diablo Rossos are a fairly sporty tyre, how quickly do they wear vs a more sport touring tyre such as the Battlax?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Might as well just use this one.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Don't quote me on it, but sounds like it's dragging a little and/or you were on a hill?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Could strap it to the pillion seat if the helmet lock under the seat isn't working for you.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I can't remember - do you have a pre-gen or new bike? If its a pregen you could just try shortening to chin strap on one side of the helmet/hang it on the other side, might have a bit more room. I'm not sure what its like where you are but unless I'm in a big shopping centre or something its pretty safe leaving my helmet on the handlebars.

I can't even remember the last time I used the helmet lock. I just carry it with me :/ its handy for holding small stuff :D

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Hmm, mine has plenty of room on the hook when I use it. Try flipping it?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

On another note, my 250 could be gone tomorrow :3: Someone's coming to have a look at it and possibly buy it :O Don't leave me!

e: by the way, that picture was a reference for you.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

tzam posted:

Thanks, though that looks very different to the arrangement on my bike, the centre stand on mine comes up much higher, to the point where the pad on the end of the stand is nearly in contact with the chain. Is that a zzr250?

Yeah, although the Ninja is the same bike just with different stickers/fairing, unless it's a new one, I thought '04 was still old generation? Even then I don't think they changed it a huge amount.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

tzam posted:

I have an old gen. The frame in that picture looks almost completely different tho, maybe different rear suspension geometry?

Hmm, maybe, I thought they were the same :/

theperminator posted:

Why? did you get a new bike? if so, what?

Dude didn't end up having enough money for what I was willing to accept so it's still with me for a bit longer.

Plan was to sell it and either pick up a ZZR600 from 40 mins down the highway or just finish off the FZR and find something else in the meantime.

As of Monday I start a new job though that is pretty good money so I might just save up for a month or two and buy a new ZX6R. Or Daytona .. I really want a Daytona :/ If I go that route I'll just sell the FZR and pick up my brothers R6 in the meantime.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Do you mean the wires that go to the cap that goes over the spark plug?

with any wire you should be able to plug it back how it was, one way or another.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'd say he's just streetfightered it, has two nice cars in the background that look fairly good condition - I wouldn't be too worried. Definitely worth having a look at it.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Able to post a picture of it? The wires / connection and that soldering job would be handy.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

When you press the starter button is there a clicking noise or anything? At a guess I'd say your battery is done*, a clicking noise will pretty much guarantee that. To get it home you could bump start it (put it in second, hold the clutch in, get someone to push you/roll downhill or something and then dump the clutch).

*It'll hold enough charge to get lights, etc working but not enough to start the bike.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Hmm, I had a similar problem with my 600 I just picked up and it turned out to be one of the wires coming from the starter button had crapped itself. It would start sometimes and not others, was fine once it ran. Try fiddling around with the wires going to the starter and see if you can get it to want to go by having them in different positions? Some contact cleaner might help out as well.

e: From my understanding unless the battery is making that clicking sound it should be fine.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

nsaP posted:

Rode that home for my friend yesterday. It's got a few dings on one side from being dropped in a parking lot or something similar but mechanically and cosmetically was the best one we could find. The suspension was a lot softer than the 09 I've ridden but it was still a lot of fun. His motor seemed to have a bit more kick too but that could just be in my head. I gotta get my 09 on the road again.

ed: wow didn't notice how lovely the pic was on my phone

Off the top of my head, pregens have more top end, newer ones have a bit more grunt mid-rev range.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

How big is the oil leak/where is it?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I think that's normal - the one on my 600 doesn't come on until the bike is turned on. I think my 250 had the Off-On switch under the High/Low which let me turn it on before the bike was on, if it doesn't have that, it shouldn't come on until it's running.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Older ones, the new ones (even the 300s) are tiny as gently caress and your knees wont fit around the tank properly.

Honestly probably better off with a larger bike though, I'm 6'1 and wish I'd got a physically larger bike now that I'm on a bigger one.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I really like that green. The paint, not the horrible seat. Stretch makes me laugh.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

To get the filter out just ram a flathead screwdriver through it and twist. Pull out and repeat until you can undo it by hand.

New filter is like $10. I doubt you did any damage to the actual part of the bike it screws into, more like just damaged the filter. They're only tin.

e: What do you mean by stripped the bolt? The drain bolt? If so, you should be able to rethread it (if you've stripped the engine-side of it), someone else will be able to explain that, I've never done it. If it's just the bolt itself you should be able to get a "new" one from a bike shop/wreckers or something.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. Try the vice grips and pull as you undo it.

• Locked thread