Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Woop woop, '06 ex250. So far, most of the modifications it's got were done by the PO. Louder horn, brake light modulator, and removing the flames. He gave me the fender eliminator kit he made, and I'll probably end up having to use it because my rear left blinker likes to fall out. gently caress.

Right now she lives under my scary stairs, I swear someone's going to die bringing furniture up or down those someday.

Recent mods include:

Dinged tank and...

...scraped and cracked fairing™, courtesy of me not knowing what the gently caress. Oh well, I know slightly more wtf now.

Oh, also a sweet new tank bag. The only trick is finding an atlas to actually fit in the drat thing. (GPS is for wienies people with money)

ninja edit: i also got bored and put stickers on it. A couple more trips on the highway and they'll all be gone it's looking like. Until then, it's the rare Kawasaki Ziljdian/ Pearl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
My bike is jealous of your stickers. She won't shut the hell up about getting her own. It's always "vroom vroom stickers vroom vroom" all drat day.

Edit: It's worth the trip way the hell out there for that pie town sticker. Was that Arizona or New mexico?

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
What's y'alls opinion on aftermarket screens? I'm 5'9" and going highway speeds is killer and I'm not looking forward to any long distance rides with the stock screen. I've been thinking of the zero gravity double bubble, but I don't want to drop 100 bucks on a screen that had this review on ninja250.org

quote:

I got the DB and it definitely makes for nicer tucking; you can stick your head down there and get out of the wind completely. You won't get too much of an improvement besides that. I'm 5'6".

edit: http://www.mikesshields.com/ the euro model is pretty tempting. Cheaper too.

Methusulah fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 7, 2009

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
And here I am being suckered into using gas!

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

frozenphil posted:

timg]https://wi.somethingawful.com/8d/8d8de0c21dec62f00c86f1300d62e8c403de8992.jpg[/timg]

These are the only flames I've ever actually liked on a bike. Probably costs way more than it would be worth to put on though.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Anybody have advice on chopping the fender of an '06? I was just about to start today, when I realized I have no idea how to get the wires to the blinkers out of the old fender, and I'd rather not cut it to pieces (just in case) The PO gave me the fender eliminator kit he made as written here (linkage- his kit also included a precut replacement fender).

It's not very clear on how to get the blinkers off, if I'm missing something let me know. I wouldn't bother doing this, but my drat blinkers keep falling out. Today I shoved a dime in the rubber...flanges (?) I guess they're called to hold them in.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
I think this got skipped over...*ahem*

Methusulah posted:

Anybody have advice on chopping the fender of an '06? I was just about to start today, when I realized I have no idea how to get the wires to the blinkers out of the old fender, and I'd rather not cut it to pieces (just in case) The PO gave me the fender eliminator kit he made as written here (linkage- his kit also included a precut replacement fender).

It's not very clear on how to get the blinkers off, if I'm missing something let me know. I wouldn't bother doing this, but my drat blinkers keep falling out. Today I shoved a dime in the rubber...flanges (?) I guess they're called to hold them in.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
The only problem I'm having is getting the blinkers (all the wires/lights out actually -ed) out of the old fender. I've got a kit and all that, but I don't really want to cut the current one if I can help it. Do you just have to take the blinkers apart to pull the wires through? I'm assuming the PO of mine ran into the same trouble which is why it isn't already chopped, because the brake light is already redone with clear plastic on the bottom for a license plate light.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
I need to check my valves this week, (desperately) what do i need to know? ninja250.org says Sears has feelers. Would autozone or o'reilly's have them? Any suggestions?

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Z3n posted:

Yup. They're just called feeler gauges, get a set that you can remove individual feelers from and that have the smallest increments available. It makes getting the feeler in a lot easier.

is it frustratingly hard to do without this special tool? They say you can use eyeglass screwdrivers and what not, which I have. Will I completely hate it, or is that plausible?

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

blugu64 posted:

Heh. No offense, but are you sure its the bikes fault?

I'm still scared to do it on my own bike. Maybe I'm just a wienie :(...

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Well, while I'm asking about valves, i guess it's prudent to ask that If my biek is shaking more and sounding rougher at lower (<5k rpm) the valves should be done? I bought it at 3150 miles, and now it's at around 4500. I figure i'll do them anyway, but those are some sure signs, eh?

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

dude... it's a ninja.

did you think it was just a name?

put in an electric motor and we could take over the world.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Aftermath of hitting a deer on an 06 ex250. I'm honestly surprised it can still stand on it's own.

The insurance company totaled it and I got my check yesterday. Fortunately current market value was about 100 bucks more than I payed for it. I'm thinking a new 250, but I really like having a centerstand and temp gauge. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Oh, and the bike in the back of the first picture was from another kid my age (21) that hit a guard rail on the same road I was on just a week later. He was killed :(

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
I would have, but I just don't have the inclination to mess with it. As far as I know, the insurance company has already towed it to wherever they do something with it. I just don't have the money for more gear or parts either, all the insurance money went to paying off school already. It's a sad situation.

My boss also mentioned the possibility of the frame being bent. Is that likely?

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Pretty much, I'm fairly certain that bike was just cursed. Didn't help the VIN ended in 666. The biggest problem is craigslist around here is all harleys, dirt bikes, and 4 wheelers. A "wicked fast GIIIXXXXXAAAA!" will show up every once in a while, but it just seems a slim used market for my tastes. Oh well, I've got plenty of time to find something else. It's the waiting that kills me though.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

sirbeefalot posted:

Man, I think I agree about the cursed bit. How long did you have that bike? Couple months? Its a shame, it was in super shape when you first posted about it.

Yeah, got it in july, started riding mid august. This was the third accident i've had on it. The first two were just inexperience, this was just some loving poo poo. I feel pretty bad about loving up the bike so quick, but that's how it goes. There's a couple at the kawa dealer here I might be able to get a deal on. I didn't even think to go there today. They've actually got an ex500 too. I might have to check that out.

The biggest pain in the rear end is that I was planning on taking a trip to the west coast with my brother in the summer, and taking it to Ohio for all my AWCI classes (provided I actually got in). My car won't last much longer and the bike would have been perfect.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Pvt. Public posted:

What bikes are you interested in? I'll keep my eyes peeled at the one dealer on this side of the state to see what used bikes creep into their showroom.

I'm thinking an 08+ 250 or an ex500. I saw a super-bitchen-sweet r6 at the yamaha dealer that's actually the mechanics', has the goofy fender eliminated and is priced to own (6k) but then Z3n mentioned earlier about being comfortable on a bike, and I realize I'm not. cornering still gives me some trouble, and I'd like to stay on a 250, at least until i'm 25 and insurance goes down a bit. Full coverage on my ex250 was 16 bucks a month, and that gives my inner Clark Howard a hard on.

So anyway, i'm basically looking for another 250. An '08 would be nice, but I'm really not picky, as long as it runs. I'd really appreciate any help, I get a little jittery thinking about buying a bike from some random guy. I bought my first one from a friend. Sorry for the long rant, i'm pretty drunk, so in summation, you guys rock. And shoot an email to chemoandreasen at gmail if you find anything super-bitchin-awesome.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

-Inu- posted:

Also, you could always consider the "sport touring" options that Kawi/Yamaha offer; ZZR600/YZF600R. The ZZR is the exact same bike performance wise as the '03 ZX6R so it is a full on supersport, but it's decently more comfortable and cheaper to insure than your standard supersport. I priced insurance on a ZZR and it was double what my 250 is, which is quite a bit cheaper than what a CBR600 would have been, but it's going to vary heavily person to person. I'd at least give it a look if you truly want a bigger bike though.

That sounds really awesome actually. Yamaha had the fz6 here [wait, is that what we're talking about? -ed], and I really couldn't figure the difference between it and the R6 besides slight differences in the looks. I had never really thought about it, but that makes more sense. The worst part is that I can't even think about a bike right now because of other expenses that may or may not come up. Unless I find a good answer on financing, or get a substantial raise, I'm stuck dreaming again. Of course i got my first bike because my brother basically bullied me into it, I'm just too frugal sometimes. Hopefully he'll be back from New Zealand in time to give me some more irresponsible advice.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Shibaku posted:

My buddy bought a 250R a while ago and I brought it home from the dealer for him. It's tough when you get beat off the line by an SUV that didn't even know you wanted to race.

That, and the bike won't do clutchless upshifts.

After riding this bike once I no longer recommend it as a starter bike.

If he doesn't want it, I've got a 100 bucks and 2 pounds of pork chops with his name on it!

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Cablekid posted:

Just picked up my 2010 Ninjette. The color looks just absolutely amazing in person.

Some of you may recognize the other bike as Cabledude's from the crash report thread.

aaaagh i hate you. I was turned down on financing for a new bike (not enough credit history, sucks being young), or I would have one right now. But then I couldn't ride it because I can't afford the gear. But I guess a Corona wife beater and flip flops aren't too expensive...

I'm partial to red myself, haven't seen the blue in person though.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

-Inu- posted:

And now it doesn't :)

And yeah, I love white bikes/cars. The 2010 SE 675 is making me water at the mouth. The gixxer exhaust really fits that 250 well too.

Good lookin chain, details?

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
What kind of master link does it have? I'm looking for a rivet type, and dennis kirk isn't telling me what I need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Holy poo poo that rules, had to cost a bit of green though eh? Totally worth it.

• Locked thread