Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I passed the MSP almost a month ago and my girlfriend's dad keeps asking if I've found a bike yet. No, dude, I'm broke. :(

I almost considered selling my AR-15 to fund a 250. Almost.

Edit: Why the gently caress does someone think this is worth that much I do not understand it and I am frustrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Hate to break it to you, but that's a fair price.
Yeah, I suppose you're right. I guess "Runs." just made me a little leery. That's the best deal I've seen yet in my area, after watching Craigslist from my phone during every class since January.

Loucks posted:

Do it. I ride my bike nearly every day. How often do you shoot your AR? Hell, I'm trying to figure out which guns to sell to upgrade to something with decent suspension.
If I ever get my great-grandfather's Garand, I'm selling my own Garand in a heartbeat. So that's about $700 right there. I can't part with the AR, though. I built it into exactly what I wanted and I still love it even though I don't shoot often enough.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Where the gently caress are the $100 Ninja 250s around me. :(

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

timn posted:

So I was practicing clutch control at <5 mph in a parking lot and noticed that when held at a certain point in the friction zone for long enough, the bike starts to rhythmically 'thump'. At first it's only a small vibration, and then it becomes gradually more and more forceful to the point that the whole is shaken by it. What the heck?
Heh, this happens when I get lazy with my truck's clutch too (98 Ranger). Cold or hot, long drive or short, if I leave it in the friction point too long it's as if the whole truck starts to hop.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Where the gently caress are deals like that around me. :(

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Looking back on my MSF experience, I agree with darkhand and Fixed Gear Guy. After completing the course, I was legally certified to operate a motorcycle on the streets... But I still don't think I'm ready. It's a big confidence issue and I want to get it worked out before I start riding on the street. Most of this, like FGG said, is the pacing. I was the only student in the class with no prior experience. I kept up pretty well, but I can't help but feel the last half of the class was a blur with no real time for the skills to set in. I haven't ridden since as I don't own a bike yet, but I feel like I'm going to need a serious refresher before I buy one.

Edit: I should note, in fairness, that the MSF was still really fun and it solidified my fascination with bikes. I just don't feel it closed the deal on making me a competent rider.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

Also, you're already +10 cool for being on a motorcycle / being a superhero, so when you do something you only go down to +6 or +8 cool, so compared to the average joe, you're still awesome.

:goonsay:
This is absolutely the truth. When I was first getting interested in learning to ride, I witnessed a dude on a sweet old UJM stall out on a hill at a stoplight. Nobody behind him, nobody in front of him. He looked around real quick to see if anybody noticed, and made eye contact with me. I just smiled and gave a friendly thumbs-up. My thought was, "well, that sucks to be him and it's kind of funny, but he's the one who knows how to ride and owns a bike... :smith:"

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

28_days posted:

It was recently brought to my attention that my foot placement was wrong. Over the last few days I've been trying to relearn, putting the balls of my feet on the pegs (not under the gearshift lever and to the side of the rear brake as I was doing before).
Woah, I had no idea about this. They never went over that at the MSF.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

A dude was rolling up to the motorcycle parking spots as I was walking in to work the other day on a Ninjette. I stopped complimented the bike, and he said he picked it up for $1k with 265 miles on it! I told him to get in touch with me if he ever wanted to sell it, and he said "sure!"

I forgot to give him my name. :smithicide:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Finally found a decent deal on a Ninjette in my area. What questions should I ask the guy before I go to look at it? Already asked about the title, it's clear. Gonna ask if it was ever laid down, valves adjusted... anything else?

Edit: 2.2k on the bike, so the valves needn't be adjusted at this point, right?

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 4, 2012

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Make sure that he doesn't start it before you arrive. Check to be sure that it cold-starts alright.
Thanks for the tip. I'd almost forgotten that point.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Okay, so, I'm now the proud owner of an '01 Ninjette. Lime green, of course. It runs fine once it's started, but it's barely been ridden, and probably sat for a while with old gas in the tank, etc. The return from revved to idle is unpredictable on it, and it's probably in sore need of a workover. I picked it up for $1050, though, so I'm comfortable putting at least a few hundred into it to get it running right. I'm all but certain the carbs will need cleaned and synced, at the very least. My mechanic brother also theorized a slight vacuum leak somewhere, too.

As someone with zero mechanical background, am I better off trying to buy tools and memorize the Ninja 250 Wiki to fix this poo poo on my own, or just take it to a local shop and have them look at it for starters? I fully intend to wrench on it myself in the future, but part of me feels I'd be better off letting professionals handle the initial tune-up. Any thoughts?

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 8, 2012

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Valid points. Wish I had more space at my parents' house (or future apartment) to work, though. :smith:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

When accelerating past 7-8k RPM with moderate, steady throttle, the bike acts like I'm randomly rolling off the throttle and back on again, in a jerky kind of motion. The issue isn't as obvious at lower or higher engine speeds. If it's still there at those speeds, I'm not feeling it.

I'm not too familiar with engines- is this a miss, or what?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Angryboot posted:

Whoa wha

Supposedly it's the version that was just unveiled in Indonesia. Fuel injected, ABS option, 5k starting price in Indonesia. I wonder how much it'll be when it comes to the US.

Good looking bike though, guess I'll see about getting one and hand the 2012 I have to my fiance.
Foreign 250Rs already have fuel injection.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I can't find the date code on my Dunlop tires. What the hell.

They probably need replaced, but I don't want to if I don't have to.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I need a phone mount for a Droid Incredible. Google seems to yield DIY solutions- I guess there isn't a market for this sort of thing, or what?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a weak man. I took the bike to the mechanic rather than buy tools, this time around. But it runs LIKE A loving DREAM. I never realized how uneven the application of power was before. The mech just cleaned the carbs, but I still think the valves and idle mixture could use adjusted. The bike is amazing once it's warmed up, but it idles low to the point of almost dying when it's cold and smells like gas when I finish riding.

Oh well! Motorcycles are awesome.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 12, 2012

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

What should happen if I choke the engine while idling after a ride? Logically, if the choke is restricting air and possibly adding a little throttle, the engine should sputter and possibly die. Am I correct in thinking this?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yeah, the revs shot to about 6k, but it didn't die down at all. I only left it like that for a few seconds, though.

Only reason I ask is the bike had trouble starting this morning, cold and humid. I never have any trouble when it's warm and dry out. I'm wondering if the choke is functioning properly.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

ButtFaceMcCrackin posted:

Also you should gradually apply choke as opposed to just flipping it on.
This is complete news to me. While cranking the engine to start in the morning?

Addendum: Bike had trouble starting again. The hell, bike.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Well I tried the gradual choke thing this morning and it worked like a goddamn miracle. The bike took a bit to warm up, but no worse than I would expect for an 11-year-old bike in the morning. Guess I've just been flooding it this whole time. We'll see how it starts tomorrow.

Thank you, internet people.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I ran out of gas coming home from work the other day.

In the rain.

I noticed I was close to empty on the way out of the parking lot, and switched to reserve. Work's about fifteen miles from home.

Ten miles later the bike quit on me. The heck? I know the reserve is supposed to hold more than that, right? Is something clogged?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I've recently noticed that my choke doesn't produce any appreciable difference in engine speed or behavior until it's about 3/4ths of the way applied (engaged, on, whatever). Does this imply it's out of adjustment or broken or something? It could also explain why the bike has so much trouble starting in the cold.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Is there a preferred online site for ordering tires? Specifically, Pirelli Sport Demons?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks for the heads-up. Pirelli doesn't list any compatible tires.

I'd like to make a few points, if I may.

1: If you ever decide to buy a Ninjette and you think you want to change the oil at 6PM in January, don't. I don't care how nice the weather is when you start. Just don't.

B: Factory oil filters do not come with o-rings, leaving you confused as to where the gently caress the small one went and you will install it wrong and COMPLETELY STOP CARING when you realize your mistake. In summary, gently caress Kawasaki factory oil filters.

4: If the temperature drops below 32F, ice will form. Make note of this.

VI: Do not attempt to use your personal vehicle's headlights to illuminate your workspace. See point A.

Seven: If you decide to disregard points 1 and VI, please ensure that the booster pack you rely on is fully charged before you begin, because your vehicle's battery will quickly die due to neglect over the years and you will be forced to charge the booster pack before starting your personal vehicle again.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

My bike still has a lot of trouble starting in anything under 50F. It's cranking at a normal speed and I can hear the cylinders firing but it just never catches. Where do I start looking to alleviate this? Battery? Plugs? Valves? Carbs, again?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I tried the gradual application thing, and it helps, but it's still a bitch.

I should also mention that until I've been riding for four or five minutes the bike will die under load at less than 5-6k rpm. Again, this is only in cold weather.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

You're telling me to... ride it fast? Boy, I don't know if I can manage that.

I'll try that, thanks for the advice.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I'm surprised at the top speed numbers for the Ninja 300 and 500- I've managed 105 in a full tuck on my 250. Is that unusual?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ya'll live in terrible areas. I took my Ninjette to a small local shop to get it inspected and one of the local ancient Harley guys who lived close wandered over to compliment it. "Man that's a neat lookin' bike! And you could teach a lady to ride on it too!"

Sure, it was a jab, but a light-hearted one and he genuinely liked the bike. :shobon:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

An excellent addition to the OP.

I've had my Ninja 250 for almost nine months now and I'm still in love. It's faster than any other vehicle I've ever owned and exactly one thousand times more fun. I've come close to dropping it during newbie mistakes, and (thus far) I've been lucky enough to just muscle it upright each time. It's a wonderful little bike.

It hates starting in the cold, but I would too so I can't blame it. :v:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

While washing my bike the other day I discovered that my lower fairing is hanging loose on the right side of the bike. The tabs overlapping with the upper fairing are both broken, with the fairing bolts screwed into the broken tabs through the upper fairing. I don't know when this happened, and for all I know I bought the bike like that and just never noticed until I cleaned it. This is a bummer. :smith:

Edit: Actually I can't remember whether the tabs used to be on the upper or lower fairing but whatever it's broken.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

How am I supposed to attach my helmet in such a way that it doesn't melt on the exhaust pipe? :(

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yeah, that's my issue. I want to lock it in some way but the helmet lock leaves it hanging in contact with the pipe. If theft wasn't an issue I'd just strap it to the pillion seat... handle... thing.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

It's an '01, old style. Usually when I have to use the strap I'm in downtown Pittsburgh (or Oakland, Shadyside etc) and I just don't trust jerks. Crowded bars or restaurants make taking in the helmet a pain. I'll have to experiment with shortening the strap or positioning it differently, it just seems like this would be a common issue so I wondered if there was a magic step I was missing.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

I've had some success with popping the passenger peg out on that side and fiddling with the way the helmet hangs until it leans on the peg and doesn't touch the pipe.
Update on this: I'm not entirely sure on the process I used to accomplish it, but I managed to get the helmet in the helmet lock and over the passenger peg. Works like a charm! Now I need to practice it so it doesn't take two minutes every time. :downs:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

At some point during the first half of my valve job, I accidentally pulled one of the spark plug boots off of the wire. :negative:

Am I boned or can I just shove that sucker back in there?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks guys. It was getting dark and I didn't even bother to look at it. I know nothing about spark plugs, or the associated wires and boots. Just saw it disconnected, said "gently caress it", and called it a night. Time to tackle that bastard of a front engine mount bolt first thing in the morning. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Sorry, my post was ambiguous. I'm in the middle of a valve adjustment and that was my next step for reassembly. Didn't directly have anything to do with the boot, just the last straw.

• Locked thread