Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not to rain on your parade, blugu, but from what I've read (not experience), it's better to put the DS tire on the front, and use a road tire on the back, if you're only doing one. That way the front is supposed to track accurately in the loose stuff, and the back end can do whatever it wants as long as it's vaguely pushing forward.

Of course that may change for the beach, given that you need to keep speed up. Also for what you can find available in 250-size tires of course.

Also if Tsaven can ride a Virago to the north slope pretty much any bike can go drat near anywhere so don't take me too seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sloppy posted:

I've always heard/read that you can slide the rear around, but if the front washes out, you're on your rear end, is this not true? Also, I think he's talking about dirt, not asphalt.

Basically that's the way I understood it, and Hough seems to support that though he doesn't make any mention of tire selection. The idea is that in a turn on the dirt, sliding the rear in a controlled fashion can help to steer the bike. Once you're on the street, it's nice to have something less knobby in the rear to help maintain traction at that end. Of course, if you're going to be dedicated riding in the dirt, knobbies at both ends will work better. And for sand like at the beach (Blugu), you definitely want knobs in the back, because street tires will have a hard time getting enough traction to keep the front floating rather than plowing.

I could be wrong, if the danger of washing out a street tire on the front is minimal compared to the danger of oversliding a street rear.

Blaster, you don't get a vector diagram because you didn't smile when you said please.
[/derail]

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

all we know is, he's called the sklnd.

We start that, everyone in CA's gonna want to do it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
From here, it looks like... trail mix? :psyduck:

• Locked thread