Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Does anyone know if its possible to rent a 250 around the Seattle area? I want to ride one around for a weekend of something to see how they are. All my friends ride sportsters / cafe racer types so they are no help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Wow that seems like a great deal. I've been lookin in the Seattle are for a while now and and can't find anything like that!

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

revmoo posted:

Shopping 250's right now :D :D

Why do I see so many used 250's priced ABOVE new prices?

Haha and here I thought I was the only one. Looking through the Seattle CL I saw an 08 SE for $4900. I sent him a friendly email letting him know that at Renton Moto you can get a brand new 2010 out the door for $4700 and he might want to revise his pricing. Shockingly he didn't send a thank you card. I mean I know they are popular and everything, but asking above the new price seems a bit strange to me.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

giundy posted:

In total it took 1.25 hours, this includes going to the parts store, getting a spark plug gapper, going home, taking the tank and plug wires off, cursing extensively realizing about my deep socket set only go up to 15mm, go back to the parts store, realizing the socket I just bought doesn't grab my plugs, improvising with duct tape, put new plugs in, putting the tank back on, dropping tank bolt into air box, opening air box, losing bolt in tool box, putting everything back together and putting away tools.

So it sounds like next time it should take like 5 min :)

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

nsaP posted:

Sorry the supermoto thread is over that way --->

HAHA I was thinking the same thing. "wow some of that was some rough riding / swimming"

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Fifty Three posted:

Where the gently caress are the $100 Ninja 250s around me. :(

Yeah no kidding. Holy poo poo is that a good deal!

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

FieryMatrix posted:

Does anyone have experience with dual headlights on an '88-'07? I have an '07 I'd like to put dual headlights on (like the Dominator assembly).

Alternatively, I see older FZR, ZX7, or Buell lights might be cheaper, similar options. In this case, do you need to do anything special with the wiring aside from an appropriate harness to split the connector (if this is even possible)? Is that even worth my time?

The closest I found in CA was Dial M for MURDER's thread here where he used ZX7 lights. He doesn't have PMs, so I figured I'd ask here.

I don't know if you got your questions answered or not, but I didn't do anything special. Just got a wire splice-in connector that just kinda pokes into the existing wire, for all three leading into the existing headlight. The bulb pluging I got at Big Wheel (automotive store) had 3 wires coming out and bam, good to go.

The only wierd thing is I can't turn on my brights, if I switch back and forth too fast, it pops the fuse, but with the added light I figure its a net gain. Probably too much power for the existing system with brights or something.

If you have questions ask here or email me at haschen117 at yahoo dot com

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
There is also a nice diagram on customfighters.com for how to wire in a relay so that it can handle the draw needed for two lights. I'll see if I can find the right thread.

Edit: Here it is. http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48236

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 2, 2011

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
This is a long shot but if anyone has a Ninja 250 muffler (right side,black) in the Seattle area they are trying to get rid off let me know. I can pay or have a left side Chrome to trade. I figured posting this here would be better than the sell thread, but if not let me know.

Edit: There are a ton on eBay, but I hate to pay $25 in shipping for a ~$20 part.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Yeah man that would be amazing! I don't have PM's but my email is haschen117 at y a h o o dot com. :hfive:

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I used a battery tender plus to charge a brand new battery to full, so it definitely can charge a dead battery. Is it ran from an extension cord? I've seen various devices have trouble because of that.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I don't know if you are dead set on those tires, but if you aren't I just bought a set of Pirelli MT75's for $122 shipped from Ronayers.com They take a while for shipping though, so if this is something you need now then maybe ronayers isn't the way to go.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
That's awesome! I need to follow your lead. I took my MSF and bought my bike last year, but now I haven't gotten to ride for the last ~5 months. Best idea would be for me to ride to where I took the MSF (big parking lot with MSF lines sprayed on the ground) and dink around there for a bit to shake off a little bit of my own rust.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I just cleaned my carbs and put them back in, but for the life of me I can't figure out how the choke wire is held in place. When I pull the lever the wire just moves, rather than pulling the slide on the carb. Can someone tell or show me how its secured?

Also, I put fresh gas in it and got it going, but it is a fight to rev it. Using the choke I eventually got it up to 4k, but it wouldn't go any higher. When I try to use the throttle the rpm's rise, but slowly fall all the way back down to almost die. Is this a symptoms of sitting since last October? Do I need to change to oil ( did it about 200 mi ago in October)

Edit: Or do I just need to let it run for a bit to work itself out?

DE: Just to clarify, I have the choke cable hooked up to the slide. When I pull the choke lever, slack tightened up in the cable rather than pulling the slide.

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 7, 2012

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Awesome! I see how it goes now, thanks. I was trying to remember how it was when I took it apart, but no luck, and I didn't understand the diagram.

I am 100% sure the carb is clean. I took it apart twice just to make sure and went through it part by part with wire and spray.

Just to make sure I have the config right for the needles. I have the needle through the plastic piece, feet side down. Then the spring over it, attached to the circle on the plastic covers. Does that sound right? Edit: Reading your description again makes me think I have it configured wrong. I have the needle run through the hole in the plastic piece. I am getting the impression that the needle just sits below the plastic piece.

I talked to our shop mechanic, (doesn't know much about motorcycles but being an overall decent mechanic) he said to let it run for a bit just to see if that solves the problem. I only got to run it for maybe 5 minutes yesterday, so I'll see if that solves the issue or not and report back.

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 7, 2012

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Yeah I just got home and switched it around. Once fuel got to the carb it started and ran fine no choke even needed :D

Then when I slowly took off...something is off. My back end wanted to come around to my right and the ride was bumpy for no reason. I went around the block slowly hoping it was just oil or something from my garage. Nope, shits hosed. So I still can't ride yet :smith:

I figure either the back wheel isn't aligned with the front or isn't pointed in the right direction. If I had to guess I would think the second option. I measured the distance from edge of the swing ARM cover like it recommends on ninja250.org, but I must have measured wrong I guess.

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 8, 2012

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Not since I mounted the tires, do maybe 3 weeks. I'll go downstairs when I take the dogs out before bed and see how they look.

Edit: Yup, I'm an idiot. Rear tire was way low. Time to get a pressure gauge after work :). God I hope this is it.

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 8, 2012

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Fifty Three posted:

Okay, so, I'm now the proud owner of an '01 Ninjette. Lime green, of course. It runs fine once it's started, but it's barely been ridden, and probably sat for a while with old gas in the tank, etc. The return from revved to idle is unpredictable on it, and it's probably in sore need of a workover. I picked it up for $1050, though, so I'm comfortable putting at least a few hundred into it to get it running right. I'm all but certain the carbs will need cleaned and synced, at the very least. My mechanic brother also theorized a slight vacuum leak somewhere, too.

As someone with zero mechanical background, am I better off trying to buy tools and memorize the Ninja 250 Wiki to fix this poo poo on my own, or just take it to a local shop and have them look at it for starters? I fully intend to wrench on it myself in the future, but part of me feels I'd be better off letting professionals handle the initial tune-up. Any thoughts?

No time like the present! I don't have much practical mechanical experience either, but between the ninja250.org and SA, it's pretty hard to go wrong.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I took my tank and off to clean the carbs a couple months ago but only just got around to it. I finished putting it back together, but I noticed the nozzle for the second opening on the petcock is gone. Not the bigger one that runs from the far left of the carb, the smaller one that sitting under the "off" position of the switch. Is this something that can fall out? The tank just sat. Do I have to get a new petcock?

Either way...gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Hmmmm, that sucks. One of the hoses that I was reconnecting on the top left of the carb, that run down into the middle had a metal piece in it. I assumed it was supposed to be there because it it fit the carb top left opening nozzle. Could there be a chance I mixed up my hoses and that one originally ran to the petcock? Or does that one always have metal end, I'm having a hard time finding it on the parts diagram.

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 10, 2014

• Locked thread