Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
My '08. Also included is my less than stellar lawn.

Bought it with in flawless condition with 1800 miles a few months ago. Put about 2k more on so far. I'm already starting to get bored with it, though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

frozenphil posted:

What do the rest of you J guys have your rear shock preload set at? I currently have mine at "3" and it has made a night and day difference from the stock "1" setting, even "2" felt like a world of difference. I'm debating on moving up to "4" as I think it may be just about perfect as it is, but I won't know until I try.
I have mine set to 1, when I bought it it was set to 5. 1 feels good to me, but I'm 5'8" 125 soo..

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah, you'll be absolutely fine. I drive on Atlanta area interstates all the time, and if you've ever commuted in Atlanta you know the traffic/drivers are absolutely loving insane. I get by fine on the 250, usually cruise around 80-85. You don't have the power on-tap to do tight passes like you would be able to on a 600, but it's fine. Your rear end does go numb though thanks to the high revs.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I'm probably going to buy a 600 from one of the big four this winter while prices are cheap, then pawn off the 250 in spring. Pretty bland and boring, but eh.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

kylej posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to buy an older F4i in the spring but I'm afraid it might be too much for me considering I only have 5,000 miles under my belt. Either that or an SV650.
If you've pushed the 250 to its limits and can't get much more out of it (I find myself wanting more throttle mid-corner in the twisties) you shouldn't have any problems. Or if you need more power for freeway commuting, passenger riding, or group riding (seriously gets annoying getting stuck behind a car or three unable to pass because of torque) I'd say go for it. A combination of all that stuff is what's pushing me to upgrade and I've got about the same number of miles as you.

I hear SV650's are badass but ugh, v-twin you will never be as sexy as an inline four :(

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Z3n posted:

Wanting more throttle isn't a sign that you're mastering the bike, only that you're comfortable with it...I was comfortable with the throttle on my 250 when I moved up, but what I didn't realize is that when you've got that comfort is when you can really start to carry cornerspeed and learn proper throttle control and technique. If you're intimidated by the throttle it's impossible to use the throttle like you should. You'll always end up being late on the gas.

After 5k you're not even close the limits of your 250. That's the thing that's so misleading about motorcycles...people feel like they're absolutely hauling rear end, but it's just their brain freaking out because it hasn't adjusted to the sensations of riding a motorcycle. If you're comfortable with the limits on a 250 you're not going to have any problems passing cars, on groups rides, or riding 2 up with it.
Well, I don't think I've mastered the bike but I've hit up Deal's Gap a few times and really went at it pretty hard with a couple seasoned riding buddies. I could probably do more on the 250, most people probably always have more to learn and improve on, but it feels like I'm at the point where something bigger would be better suited. You're obviously more experienced than I and have been through all this junk first-hand so it could be that I'm way off base. I dunno, I haven't taken a 600 out for more than a few miles so I don't know what the difference really is. Passing and riding 2 up are no big thing obviously, they're just a pain in the rear end. Sometimes you run into that pack of cars that you wish you could zip past all at once rather than squeezing in one at a time.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Z3n posted:

Well, it's really what you want out of riding. If your goal is to have fun, then you should buy bikes that you have fun on. If you're looking to improve more as a rider, then sticking with the 250 for awhile longer will be better than jumping up to a 600 as soon as you'll be safe on it.

My only goal here is to try and help give a little perspective on things. I've definitely bought bikes for grin factor alone, and if you wait until you master a bike to move up, you'll never buy anything made in the last 20 years. It's just really about what you want out of riding. The 250 will help you learn to really carry cornerspeed and help you develop good riding techniques, and the 600 will have a shitload of power, amazing brakes, and amazing suspension, look great, and you'll love it for a bunch of different reasons.

If you buy a 600 though, I promise if you ever get back on a 250 you'll love the hell out of it.
Fair enough. I do appreciate it. Now I'm actually considering keeping the 250 around for commutes and weekends when I feel like flinging the poo poo out of a lightweight bike. drat it I need more money :xd:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Also, you could always consider the "sport touring" options that Kawi/Yamaha offer; ZZR600/YZF600R. The ZZR is the exact same bike performance wise as the '03 ZX6R so it is a full on supersport, but it's decently more comfortable and cheaper to insure than your standard supersport. I priced insurance on a ZZR and it was double what my 250 is, which is quite a bit cheaper than what a CBR600 would have been, but it's going to vary heavily person to person. I'd at least give it a look if you truly want a bigger bike though.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

asdfsdfg posted:

It's going good but I've found that my speedometer is out by about 10%. I have to do 120 kph if I want to be around 110. Has anyone else encountered that before?
Yeah, the stock speedo is usually off by a decent percentage.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

'08+ 250's were selling for $3500-$4000 here all summer last summer. You won't be able to find an '08+ 250 for anywhere near $2200. In the dead of winter around here they were going for around $2700 with cracked fairings. But now riding season is (nearly) here so prices are going to steadily increase.

Side note: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/1653494140.html :circlefap:

I so so so want to turn my 250 into a track bike...maybe I'll have the cash by next season.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 23, 2010

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I'm not sure what their supply is like now, but last season Kawasaki was having problems keeping the new-gen 250's in stock. That's why they literally weren't deprecating at all. Other than looks, they really didn't change much between generations. The new ones have better braking (wave rotors), slightly increased midrange power (but you could just regear an old one if you like, albeit while neutering the topend), 1" bigger rims, and they removed the centerstand which really helps with ground clearance if you're riding aggressively. Pretty much nothing important/major got changed though.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Argh, I really wish there was a bigger selection of aftermarket parts for 250's. Vortex doesn't make rearsets or frame sliders (wtf) for the 08+ and ASV doesn't make levers. I'm not a huge fan of the styling on woodcraft, but at least they make rearsets for the bike. My current wishlist (work in progress):

Galfer Stainless Lines Front & Rear
EBC Prolite Rotors Front & Rear
K&N Air Filter
Yoshi TRC Full Stainless System
Dynojet Stage 1 Kit
Woodcraft Clipons
Woodcraft Rearsets
Hotbodies Bodywork

I need to do something about the suspension but other than that it should be a pretty sweet track bike when I get it all said and done. Should only cost about ~$1300 for the whole deal. Any recommendations or anything I'm missing?

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 29, 2010

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Z3n posted:

I'd try and find nicer track plastics, and that exhaust is going to be useless if you don't get it jetted properly. Also, you talk about upgrading the braking system but don't mention new pads.
Yeah, I plan on jetting it of course (dynojet ;)). I was mostly just making a list of permanent stuff. I'd definitely be using new pads and tires for the track.

quote:

I wouldn't bother with rear lines and rotors for a trackbike, personally.
Good point.

quote:

I hate to say this, but you should just buy a different bike for track riding. An older 600, an older SV. For the price of doing your upgrades right, you should just spend a few hundred more and have a dedicated track bike. Plus if you crash your 250 it's going to be stupid expensive to get it fixed, because there's not enough bikes out there yet.

And the newer 250 doesn't have the rev range that the older one does as well. Or just find an ex 250 race bike, if you're hung up on 250s...I've seen them out there (wera forums, barf) for stupid cheap. And you've got the chance of getting kickass upgrades like weldups (proper 17 inch rims) that let you run modern rubber.
I know that it's not an ideal or typical track bike, but I'm not planning on converting it to one overnight. My idea is to progressively build it up while continuing to ride it on the street. By the end of this season or the beginning of next season it should be fully ready for the track. I should also have enough money and hopefully some more responsibility to upgrade to a bigger street bike at the same time I make the 250 a fulltime track bike (bodywork will be the last thing I buy). I was going to do it sooner but I sold my R6 because I just rode the thing too drat fast on the street.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Looks like they do make them; you'd recommend them over EBC HH pads?

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a read.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Out with the old...

BT-45's were faithful to me for over 10,500 miles, but with a new season comes new tires...

Brand new set of BT-090's. These things are absolutely ridiculous. The rubber is so soft that when I was able to completely mount the tires by hand. They literally just slid on. The difference between these and the BT-45's is completely night and day. The 45's essentially come squared off from the factory (seriously, go look at a new BT-45 rear); they're heavy and were designed for cruisers, not this bike.

With the 090's it literally feels like a completely new motorcycle. The 250 is flickable as it is, but with these tires the bike actually wants to be on its side with practically no effort. The first ride I took after I put them on I was in absolute awe..I was yelling "holy poo poo!" for a good 5 miles.

Dunno how long they'll last, I'm estimating about 4000-5000 miles right now but we'll see. But yeah, anyone looking for a performance street tire go with the 090's, no contest. The tread extends all the way to the side so they should be acceptable in the rain too, though I haven't tested that yet.

The rears are also a 140 as opposed to the stock 130 on the 250. The bike actually feels way more flickable with the 140 BT-090's than it did with the 130 BT-45's. No clearance issues, though I might trim the chain guard down a slight bit just so it doesn't rub if it vibrates during riding (it was a little close to the tire). I think the bigger tires improves on the aesthetics of the bike too.

This season is gonna rock.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Chill_Bebop posted:

Is your chain rusty?
Not rusty but it needs to be replaced in a hurry.

frozenphil posted:

What spools have you folks found that work on the new gen 250? I got a set for Christmas and they just don't fit right, even after chasing the threads.
Vortex

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

infraboy posted:

You had those BT-45s for 10500 miles? they still look decent, they don't seem to be showing any wear bars, pretty impressive. I can't be certain but I think my GS had it's original BT-45s for about 15k miles and the front was bald all over and the rear was down to its bars.
Yup. They last for-freaking-ever but I don't think I'll ever use another set of them, except maybe for cold and rainy commuting during the winter. Such a squared off tire...I was looking at the set in my living room again this afternoon and couldn't believe how squared off they come from the factory.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

-Inu- posted:

Not rusty but it needs to be replaced in a hurry.
And now it doesn't :)

And yeah, I love white bikes/cars. The 2010 SE 675 is making me water at the mouth. The gixxer exhaust really fits that 250 well too.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I saw that you're looking for a new chain. It's an RK GB520GXW. It's their top of the line chain, and it's X-ring which I prefer to O-ring (in reality for street riding there's not much of a difference though). The design of X-rings gives them multiple seals and less friction supposedly. Though I honestly just grabbed it because it was the only 520 we had in stock and I needed it that day. You would be fine with anything from DID, or RK if you want to spend a couple extra bucks. It has 120 links though, so you will have to break it down to what you need (106 links for an '08 with stock gearing, not sure about others).

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

It's a rivet master link.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Got this puppy sitting in my bedroom...haven't had a chance to put it on yet.

:flashfap:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Methusulah posted:

Holy poo poo that rules, had to cost a bit of green though eh? Totally worth it.
I think they retail for about $70. They're the same as Vortex's regular sprockets but the design is way cooler. Super high quality craftsmanship though and the thing is pretty much the same weight as the new steel JT front sprocket I got.

frozenphil posted:

You going up a tooth up front or just staying stock? I think I'm going to 15/41 when I need to change my chain. It would be nice to not sit at 10k RPM for over an hour on my commute.
Yessir I'm going to try 15/45 and see how it works. I didn't want to change the gearing too much because as much as I would love the low rpms for my commuting, I bang the thing around in the mountains way too much to justify gearing for top speed.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

It's mostly the loss of accel I'm worried about, since the 250 doesn't have much torque as it is. I work at cycle gear so I just ordered the stuff directly from Vortex and Tucker Rocky. Motorcycle superstore has a really good price on that Vortex sprocket though.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Z3n posted:

It's not gonna slow you down a lot. It'll slow you down a little, but not a huge amount.

But really you should just...

no, not going to say it
I can't afford a bigger bike :(

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Everyone who owns this bike should go out and regear to 15/45 right now. I just got done swapping my sprockets and it feels like completely new bike. Cruising rpms are so much more pleasant at 80-90mph and downshifting to 5th still gives you some passing power. First gear is actually usable now, whereas before taking a turn from a stop would leave you redlining or having to shift mid turn. Consequently, downshifting from 2->1 doesn't feel like the rear is going to lock up anymore.

There is a slight loss of acceleration but the bike is much more rideable now. It's noticeable but it isn't a deal breaker. You can actually cruise in the power band instead of having to basically click past every gear to get to 5th or 6th.

frozenphil, I'm not sure if I'd personally do 41 teeth or not. Based off the feel of 15/45, I think 15/41 would turn the bike into a total dog. I only took the bike out for a 5 minute ride around the block so I can't comment on how much different it feels during a long commute, but I think 15/45 might be enough of an rpm drop. If you do wind up going 15/41 please post a trip report though! I'm curious how the bike will feel with that gearing.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Z3n posted:

I wasn't aware the 250 used a better system than the typical 80 foot pound countershaft nut :)
New gens use this. Had to use a 4 foot fuckoff pipe as a breaker bar while my roommate stood on the rear brake with the bike in gear to get it off.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

frozenphil posted:

Don't you own an impact? If not, why not?
I don't have any tools..all of my stuff got stolen a couple years back and I haven't gotten around to replacing much of it. Hell I only have one torque wrench and it only goes up to 90ftlb.

frozenphil posted:

I ordered the JT 15t front sprocket last night. Amazon, of all places, is the only place I found that carries the correct JT part number (JTF 1539.xx) for the '08+ Nina 250.
When I was buying my JT the tucker rocky book said '08s use the same countershaft sprocket as old gens

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

frozenphil posted:

Hey everyone, go swap in a 15t front sprocket on your bike right now. These drat things should have come from the factory with one. I was hoping for more than a 500 RPM drop in cruising engine speed, but that is easily rectified with a smaller rear sprocket. At any rate, I can now use gears other than 6th for more than just getting to 6th gear.
Amen brother.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

One other thing about going up one tooth in the front: I've had 2 or 3 fillups and I'm seeing about a 5-10mpg increase. Went from low-mid 40's to low 50's. I do a large portion of my riding on the highway though, so the drop in rpms has a more noticeable impact on my gas.

Edit:

Gas receipt from 3/15/10 (stock gearing): 138.7 miles/3.256 gallons = 42.60 MPG

Gas reciept from 4/30/10 (+1 front): 158.5 miles/3.078 gallons = 51.49 MPG

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 4, 2010

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

frozenphil posted:

I thought I was getting poor mileage at 49mpg, mostly highway. Do you just sit on the rev limiter all day or something because I used to basically never be below 10k RPM.
Yeah. Highway cruising never below 11k and in-town shifting between 10-11k and 3/4 throttle-WOT most of the time. I like to ride my slow bike fast.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Painted my windscreen a couple days ago, I think it greatly improved the aesthetics of the bike.

Painted the back of it with matte black krylon fusion, total cost about 8 bucks. Only downside is you can't see out of the windscreen anymore, but I don't full tuck my ninja 250 often enough to care..

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Fantastipotamus posted:

Guys with the newer version 250's, does yours 'wheeze' occasionally? I think the tank is just venting, but my wifes wheezes out of the tank every.. oh, hour, I'd say. It's a weird noise, and there's no performance problems or anything, just a weird quirk.
Yup. It's just releasing pressure. If you open your gas cap while it's squealing it will release all the pressure and shut up for a short while.

edit: Just got some new toys for the 250 today :)

Also went back to stock gearing (was +1 front before). Going up was nice for commuting but it just kills the bikes power. I'll go back to +1 and BT45's for the winter.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 22, 2010

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

frozenphil posted:

Gimme dat ride report. I like my Sport Demons, but a modern tire that doesn't squirm so much when leaned over would be super.
I feel ya on the 15t front sprocket. It's nice around town and on long commutes, but it really kills the bike on mountain roads when you want to have fun. Yeah, downshifting fixes it, but sitting at 12k RPM in 4th doing 55mph isn't exactly blowing my skirt up any more.
Even with downshifting the bike has almost no torque with 15t, especially going uphill. I had a chance to hit up my favorite road (US19) for a little bit Thursday and between the sprocket change and the new tire I was having a blast.

I'm running a 003 just in the rear because my old 090 picked up a nail and was at the wear bars in the center anyway. So my experience is with a 090 front and 003 rear. I've only put a couple hundred miles on the 003 and less than a hundred up in the twisties (still knobbies on my tire) but god drat it's an incredible difference even coming from the 090. I think one of my forks is tweaked, so the bike isn't completely stable and it was was kind of unsettling on the 090. The 003 on the other hand feels completely planted, and I'm not sure if I've even hit the outermost compound yet (triple compound tires IIRC). Heat up quickly. I got about 4500 miles out of my 090 rear but I'm not sure if the 003 will be more or less than that. It's a stickier tire but it also has multiple compounds whereas the 090 didn't. Fake edit: Bridgestone says more miles than 090. Sweet.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I'll give ya a trip report next time it rains around here. Unless they're instant death...in which case you can take my lack of future posting as a negative testimonial in that regard.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I've heard of people running 150 BT016's in the rear and a 120 up front, but there's no point. You could probably squeeze a 150 on but you would have to cut/remove the chain guard and even then it would be a very tight fit and would really destroy your turnin. Same for a 120 in front -- it will fit, but it's not going to help you any.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

-Inu- posted:

I had a chance to hit up my favorite road (US19) for a little bit Thursday Monday and between the sprocket change and the new tire I was having a blast. in a huge fuckoff thunderstorm.
Tires preformed well. I wasn't trying to drag a knee or anything but they held their grip and never completely lost traction. At moderate lean angles you could feel where the tread pattern gets sparse and the tire would feel a little squirmy. Overall though it held up to a few hours on wet twisty roads and I never felt uncomfortable on it. Great tire.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

frozenphil posted:

Inu, you need to raise the price on your bike so you don't depress the market in the Atlanta/Birmingham area when I go to sell my bike you big jerk! :mad:
Hahah sorry. I just need it gone ASAP! Surprisingly no one has bit even for $2500. Used bike market blows right now.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

frozenphil posted:

In your market you need to lower it, chrome it, and stretch it.
Yeah, I've grown to hate 95% of motorcycle riders around here. Pretty much everyone is a squid and/or has a blinged out stretched bike. You do have a point though, I should be able to increase resale value by approximately $1500 by getting an extended chrome swingarm and green LEDs :whatup:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Bye bye little ninja :(

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Synonamess Botch posted:

But again, I also want to start doing track days, and I think a 250 will be a perfect first track bike.
You know, I've given this a lot of though personally and I've come to the conclusion that it isn't an ideal first trackbike. The thing that I've noticed is that most of the people who describe the 250 as a blast to ride around the track are usually stepping down -- they're used to riding on 600 I4's, SV's, etc. The 250 can carry amazing corner speed, no doubt. The problem that I've come across personally is that the 250 can carry corner speed -- it doesn't have the power to create very much speed as you're going through the corner. This means you have to be a whole lot more comfortable entering the corner fast...whereas on a bigger bike you can enter slower but exit faster. Also, the 250 feels really unstable in corners (in my opinion) compared to a heavier bike. This may be due to the fact that I weigh 130lbs soaking wet in full leathers so the bike just gets pushed around, though.

The 250 definitely fits in your price range, but honestly I don't think it fits your other criteria. I could never imagine riding 2 up on the 250 unless the girl resembled a twig. An SV would fulfill everything you need except for the price:age thing, though you could probably find one that was <10 yrs for pretty drat cheap.

Edit: figures, z3n beat me to the punch!

• Locked thread