Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I'd really like a Ninja 250, but I feel all folded up like a pretzel on them (and I'm only 6')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Internet_Wwwyzzerdd posted:

I am big and fat! Would I fit on a 250?

I see people significantly taller then me saying they fit okay, but I'm 6' flat and I find the Ninja 250 to be VERY uncomfortable. Most of my height is in my legs, and they feel folded up like a pretzel while on the bike. I'd probably start cramping up after a few minutes.

I'm not sure how these guys who are 6'4" do it.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

sklnd posted:

Like this

To be fair most of my height is in my torso, and I have a 34" inseam.

WTF. My inseam is only 34" as well.

Uh, now I'm wondering if it was a Ninja 250 I sat on. This was like 6 months ago, I was wandering around the shop's showroom waiting for my tires to be changed, and I tried on a little Kawasaki crotch-rocket type thing that felt absurdly light, and the sales guy said it was a 250. I assumed it was a Ninja, do they make something else that's sportbike-ish in a 250? The riding position on what I sat on was more agressive, more feet-back.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

sectoidman posted:

They changed the styling of the 2008 and later models, so you probably saw one of those.

In that case, my hope is renewed that I can join the Ninjette club. I might be moving to NYC, and I'm thinking it would make a good commuter/inner city bike.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Honestly this is probably something really simple, ninjas don't have the most complicated of wiring on the planet. Just start tracing wires to make sure nothing's broken or disconnected, but I'd still bet it's a blown main fuse.

The 30a main fuse isn't in the fuse box, it's in the starter solenoid unit next to the fuse box. Easy to overlook it if you just get focused on the fusebox itself.

*edit* http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Troubleshooting

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Your pilot jets are clogged.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_clean_the_carbs%3F

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Fresh EX250 owner here! I just took delivery of BlueBayou's cafe-racer'ed out '04 Ninjette.

She's actually customized it so much that she removed the tac. Anyone know of any cheap clip/bolt on tach that I can plug in and just clamp to the triple tree?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Pics, it was BlueBayou's bike, we had it shipped out from Cali to Chicago (Yeah it was kinda silly, but whatever)

http://rides.webshots.com/album/571085075pPpbgi

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Well it'll be Modify Evolution's call, but I think she'll want to stick with analog gauges. Can I get some sort of simple little thing for cheap that has the proper rev ranges? Everything I'm finding from google tops out at 8k, some 10k.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Wow, and yeah, $170 is well more then we want to spend. I was hoping for like $30.

I'll talk to her, see what she wants to do. Might just put a stock cluster on it.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I'll take one in black for Modify Evolution

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Weinertron posted:

This looks like a scam, is it a scam?

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1701558652.html

Not only is it sketchy, but that's a lot to pay for a bike that has been sitting/not ridden for a while, and will probably need the fuel system and all fluids thoroughly flushed and cleaned.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

frozenphil posted:

You ride a supermoto on the street? I thought they were only allowed on sidewalks and on the curvy ramps underneath bridges?

The rear wheel is allowed on the street, but the front wheel isn't.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
You need to clean the pilot jets out. Setting the fuel switch to "PRI" (prime) should get gas into the bowls.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

blugu64 posted:

I don't believe the 250 has a prime setting.

Oh, it doesn't? I thought I saw one on Modify_Evolution's bike. I also could be totally wrong.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Typik posted:

How many miles would you say a 250 would last given proper care?

60-70k miles?

It also depends which 250 you're refering to. Something low-revving like the Rebel will probably go forever, but the Ninja 250 is pretty high strung. I don't think they're going to hit 150k like some of the big twins will, or 300k like a Goldwing will.

*edit* huuur you're probably talking about the Ninja 250 because this is the Ninja 250 thread.

Tsaven Nava fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 15, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

I know a guy who rides the poo poo out of a ninja 250...it's his streetbike and he smokes literbikes on it,

. . . how the hell does that work?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Okay, so I'm dumb.

I was wiring up my Trail Tech Vapor gauge to Modify_Evolution's naked '04 EX250, and basically did a stupid and shorted out the neutral indicator light. Now the neutral indicator light doesn't work, and the bike won't run with the sidestand down, even when it is in neutral (it did before).

I checked the fuses, and nothing is blown. What did I break, and how do I fix it?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

Probably burned up the wire on the indicator. Are you getting continuity from the wiring harness at the gauge connector to the neutral sensor on by the countershaft sprocket cover?

And it won't run with the sidestand down because the bike has a safety cutout to prevent you from riding away with the sidestand down. You could just jump it though, so it always thinks the sidestand is up.

I'll check continuity.

As for the safety, previously it would run with the sidestand down in neutral. And in gear as long as the clutch was in.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Checked continuity on the wire, it tests fine all the way from the gauge connector/bulb socket to the neutral sensor. No visible damage to the wire at either end. What else could be wrong?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

Probably somehow roasted the sensor then. Do you know how the sensor works? Does it provide a ground when you're in neutral or what?

Yeah, I figure the sensor is just roasted. 5-7 days to get one from the dealer, going to see if I can get one from a local boneyard.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Honestly, I'm suprised it's not more common for riders to have a basic knowlage of ASL or something. I've been a SCUBA diver for many years so we've got our own set of signals that we use, it's pretty useful.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Ah, thanks Z3n. I wasn't sure what the safety ranges were, so I set the yellow and red warning lights at 215 and 225 degrees. I'll re-adjust them, and make sure that the fan is coming on when it's supposed to as well.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

the walkin dude posted:

I was supposed to go to Chicago next week with that Ninja, but now... this. :sigh:

Aw man, you should have swung by to say hi, Modify_Evolution and you could have gone out for a Ninja 250 ride together. But we're actually going to be in Glacier NP next week :\

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Mutar posted:

2009 250 and his helmet for $2000.

If you don't put that bike into your garage right now, I will come over and kick you in the nuts. And then put the bike in my garage.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

Only problem is they have a pretty tall seat, but the upside is if you drop it it's really not a big deal.

And that the seat feels like sitting on a goddamn 2x4

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
The way I see it, she just saved you the trouble of having to remove all that unnecessary plastic yourself.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

sectoidman posted:

I've seen ones in similar condition going for $800 in my area. It's amazing wonderful how much the price has dropped on the pre-2008 ninjas.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Synonamess Botch posted:

tl;dr I want a bike that's relatively new and reliable but still low budget, my wife thinks a 250 won't be enough bike. Is a 250r the right bike for me?

You can probably find a SV650 at the top end of your budget. Or a Ninja 500, which a lot of people rag on for being a lousy comprimise bike but they're usually not much more expensive then a 250, and will do highways and 2-up a lot better.

Hell, wait a couple months and I might be able to give you a screaming deal on a V-Strom 650 with all the farkles and hard bags!* ;)

*and it has never ever been crashed or raced and it has very few miles on it

*edit* dammit, beaten to the "Get an SV650" bandwagon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Over the weekend Modify_Evolution let me take her streetfightered 250 our for a few hours on some proper sportbike roads over in southwest Wisconsin, despite my checkered history of not always keeping her bike upright :)

Guys, anyone who's never ridden a lightweight, low-power bike on some proper twisty roads REALLY needs to try it out at some point. It was a BLAST, I've been over those roads many times but it was a totally different experience on the Ninja. The shear speed that I could enter corners with blew me away. I know people always extol the virtues of this all the time, but to actually experience it is incredible. I was coming into corners hotter then I would have dared attempt on my Wee-Strom, and once I got over the OH poo poo TOO FAST instinct I realized that I was using hardly any lean angle and could probably have carried even MORE speed.

That's not to say the bike is perfect. The suspension is low-rate and easily unsettled by even minor bumps, and the bars felt really heavy at speed. It took a surprising amount of pressure on them to actually initiate more lean, especially when the bike was already over. The front suspension isn't great, but I felt the rear was a bigger problem, it felt VERY hard and un-compliant. I'm only about 160lbs, and Modify_Evolution is 140, and I think the stock is designed for someone much heavier then either of us.

If I was staying in the US, I would totally buy my own EX250, and then spend some time building the suspension and really setting it up for me. I mean, sure it's struggling to get above 80mph, but holy poo poo is the bike fun :D

• Locked thread