Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
So...I did something stupid...

I decided to change my oil for the first time yesterday. Everything was going smoothly until I decided to screw the oil filter back in; the torque wrench I was using never 'clicked', so instead of screwing the filter back in at 14.5 fl lbs I just kept tightening it :(

I screwed it in by hand until I went to the wrench, but now the filter is stuck in there and I stripped the bolt. I'm looking to buy one of those gator grip tools for the bolt, but is there a chance that I did anything really bad to the bike? I'm really worried/frustrated since I've had the thing for a week and I've already hosed up an oil change. I haven't been able to screw the oil drain bolt, so I plugged that hole up with a paper towel, but the bike is just sitting in my backyard with no oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R

Shimrod posted:

e: What do you mean by stripped the bolt? The drain bolt? If so, you should be able to rethread it (if you've stripped the engine-side of it), someone else will be able to explain that, I've never done it. If it's just the bolt itself you should be able to get a "new" one from a bike shop/wreckers or something.

After I screwed everything back in I realized that twisted everything in too tight and tried to unscrew it, but the bolt head got stripped in the process.

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
The metal cover :(

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
Ok, thanks for all the advice! About to go get my torque on

e: Fixed it! And the bolt is fine, thanks a ton!

Supple Moisture fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 6, 2014

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
Would you guys say that 60% humidity in the middle of a 2 week span of 80%+ humidity grossweather would be severe enough to prevent my engine from starting? It's been gross outside for the past week or so and my bike has had some trouble starting for about that long now. It'll start to turn over, but never springs to life. Normally, if it has trouble I just let it sit for 3 mins or so and it eventually catches, but tonight it seems to be a no go.

The reason I ask is because if I do have to start doing any type of maintenance on it I'm gonna have to do some serious planning; there has been rain every other day for the past month now and it's proving difficult to find the time to do any type of bike work while not getting soaked (I have no access to a garage :().

It's a 2004 pregen.

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
1 day old, nope, probably too long, ugh.

I got the bike from a friend and was told that it was up to date with maintenance but I'm starting to think otherwise. I've had the bike for about 6 weeks now and I've been riding it around all over the place, so it hasn't been sitting around at all...but I really should do all of the work myself just to be sure. It's just been so hard with the biblical amount of rain I've been having.

I'll start clearing up free time :black101:

Supple Moisture fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 4, 2014

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
Thanks for all of the advice so far, I just feel like adding one more little note:
In the first 4 weeks that I had the bike I had 3 little spills. Somewhat recently I've noticed that if I'm at a stand still for a long time, my revs will drop a little bit and the engine will stall. Furthermore, before the falls my choke would send the rpm up to 7k-8k or so, while now it just seems to go to ~4.5k.

I was talking with one of my friends who is also a motobro and he recommended the seafoam as well, saying that some debris might have gotten dislodged and clogged a needle during one/all of the falls. So, yeah, I'll try the seafoam with maybe a little bit extra confidence tomorrow. I don't know why I'm typing this out.

Not having a garage sucks, I need to hurry up and turn into a dad already.

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
The seafoam will still be able to work even if I can't start the engine, right? The 250's fuel tank is about 4 gallons so just dump 4 oz. of seafoam in and just let it sit for a few hours?

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
Ah, I see. Well, I do happen to live in the middle of Richmond, so I'll keep you posted on how things turn out when I get off of work.

e: Looking at the DC thread I'm assuming you live in/around DC. I appreciate the offer but I don't want to make you come down I-95 just to make you look at my bike because I'm too lazy to open up my carb. For all I know it might be my spark plugs.

Supple Moisture fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 5, 2014

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R

HNasty posted:

If you really want to clean out your carbs just dump a bunch in there and let the bike idle till it gets really hot, like really hot just let it idle or keep it running for 30 mins. Heat + seafoam always does the trick for me.

My problem is that the engine cranks but I cant get ignition :/

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
Yeah, it is. The seafoam hasn't seemed to have worked. Im jump starting the bike right now with my car and it seems to be turning over a bit faster than before. I got it to sort of start. It kinda...made 2 weak combustion cycles and stopped it sounded like.

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
Once I hooked it up to my car, it started cranking faster and, after about 20 mins, I got it to start working again! Guess it was a battery problem.

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R

M42 posted:

Get a battery tender jr if you don't have one already.

e: actually, you've been riding often and the battery still isn't holding a charge well - it may be time for a new one.

Yeah I just got home from visiting my friend and I had some trouble getting it to start after it sat for about 2 hours. I have a feeling like this is a very old battery; there's no corrosion but I think it's about done.

e: Also super thank you to everyone for all of the help. This bike is very much a learning experience for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
If someone tells me the name of a product with that many random letters I feel obligated to just trust them and buy it.

• Locked thread