Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Rontalvos posted:

Not a 250, but a 500. Crossposting from the "what bike to buy" thread.

I test drove an 87 Ninja 500 (in the dark, thanks DST) last week, 14000 miles, it started cold no problem and runs smoothly like a dream, it was pretty comfortable and in not bad shape. The guy wants 1500 and says he 'won't go much lower because he can get that much easy during riding season.' I live in Los Angeles so it's always riding season.

It has a slightly leaky fork seal, a cracked fairing which is making one of the front turn signals droop, may need a new battery, and wiggles slightly around slow corners (which may just be an underinflated tire)

My dad said don't buy it if he won't take a grand. I was prepared to be a little more generous and say 1100, especially since blue book is like $1270 in good condition. It's not perfect shape cosmetically but I want it just for commuting and maybe some longer rides on the weekends, and to re-learn my skills as I spent a year and a half on a 1980 Honda 750 and now haven't ridden for almost 3 years.

I was planning on checking it out in the daylight tomorrow, what says the goon hivemind?

Easy fixers and getting a used bike for re-learning or are there better deals to be had?

Anecdotal but I picked up an 03' 250 with a scuffed exhaust and a scratch on the right fairing with 5k miles for $1600 (and doesn't need any other work). I wouldn't offer the guy more than $1000 but that's me.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Spray a whole can of Ether in the gas tank.

• Locked thread