Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
I'm seriously considering converting my Ninja 250 from carbs to EFI. There's a kit from Ecotron available for $699.00, but if there's a better kit or a better deal I'd like to have a look. Is there discussion in this thread already about doing this kind of conversion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
Why? I need a vehicle that I can rely on fairly regularly during the winter, and this ninja 250 won't start below 55 degrees F, never has (I'm near Seattle where ice and snow are infrequent). Google-fu suggests the carbs are the problem: they're designed to run too lean for reliable cold weather starting. EFI is supposed to improve that.

I've hosed with the carbs on this bike for years trying to make it run better when it's colder, and it's not something I intend to keep doing this winter. And while I can stretch to spend maybe up to a grand getting this bike going, buying any bike with factory EFI is gonna cost me a lot more than that.

It comes down to an EFI kit, or the bus.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
I've taken it to shops before. This has been an ongoing problem for the last 12 years. Of course, when I can get it to start is when the weather is warm and the problem isn't happening, and the shop says "It starts fine and there's nothing wrong that we can find" and nothing gets solved. Then temps drop and the goddamned thing won't start and I can't take it anywhere to get looked at so I drain it and store it for another winter.

It's not just me that has this problem. There are at least a dozen threads elsewhere with other people bitching about having trouble getting their Ninja 250s to start and stay running in cold temps, and changing to EFI has given some of them relief. If no one here's had to deal with a 250 that won't start, then I'd just like to know if anyone's done the EFI conversion. I'm sick of taking it places and hearing the same old "your bike is fine!" bullshit from mechanics.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

captainOrbital posted:

My ninjette doesn't start well when it's cold, but it does start at least.

"My bike won't start"
"Well, let me take a look at her...uh where is it?"
"It's at home, you see. It wouldn't start"

Yes. This does make it hard to get the problem solved. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread