Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
It's the trail force that's the important factor in keeping the bike upright, and this factor doesn't exist without friction coming from the front wheel. So it is a big deal.

The gyroscopic forces are minimal, and bikes have been successfully ridden with them minimized (tiny wheels) or not present (same size wheel spinning opposite direction of the front wheel).

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19325892.700
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19225812.400
http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~hemh/gyrobike.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

NoCleverName posted:

How long does it take your Ninjettes to warm up? I don't know if I'm being impatient with the warmup time, but the first time I ride my bike after it's cooled down, it takes forever to actually get going. Letting off the clutch as slow as I can stalls the bike. Giving throttle while I'm letting off the clutch stalls the bike. Eventually I can get it going and then it will behave better from that point onwards, but that initial start is always a bitch. I had to move it today, and it took probably 10 minutes until it would move without stalling. This was several minutes after it no longer required choke to idle.
My fiancee's bike does this as well.. Needs to idle roughly 5-10 minutes (especially if it's been sitting for a few days) or it has ZERO power. My buddies 250 doesn't though, and he says he only lets his idle about 30 seconds, and it's fine soo... *shrug* carb issue, I assume?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Fiancee ditched her old-gen 250 for a 2009 slightly-used one. It's got about 1900 on it, full Yoshimura exhaust (good for 2.3hp or something - no joke) with jet kit (~.75hp or something), but it sounds pretty good, and she loves the everliving poo poo out of it already. She's very impressed with the better mid-range power, and increased throttle response, too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Methusulah posted:

I'm thinking an 08+ 250 or an ex500. I saw a super-bitchen-sweet r6 at the yamaha dealer that's actually the mechanics', has the goofy fender eliminated and is priced to own (6k) but then Z3n mentioned earlier about being comfortable on a bike, and I realize I'm not. cornering still gives me some trouble, and I'd like to stay on a 250, at least until i'm 25 and insurance goes down a bit. Full coverage on my ex250 was 16 bucks a month, and that gives my inner Clark Howard a hard on.

So anyway, i'm basically looking for another 250. An '08 would be nice, but I'm really not picky, as long as it runs. I'd really appreciate any help, I get a little jittery thinking about buying a bike from some random guy. I bought my first one from a friend. Sorry for the long rant, i'm pretty drunk, so in summation, you guys rock. And shoot an email to chemoandreasen at gmail if you find anything super-bitchin-awesome.
If you'd like something faster, there are options which won't completely rape you for insurance. The R6/R1 and their comparable Kawi/Suzuki/Honda equivalents will be more expensive to insure than most because they're fast as gently caress and lots of squids crash them, which then the insurance company has to pay for the fairings (at least) to be replaced.

My old Buell XB12 was like $250/yr, my current Speed Triple is like $300/yr (both full coverage). Things like an SV650 or FZ6 aren't too bad insurance wise, but few will be down in the vicinity of your 250.

If you're looking for a faster bike that won't be a mint to insure, look beyond the R6.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Guys with the newer version 250's, does yours 'wheeze' occasionally? I think the tank is just venting, but my wifes wheezes out of the tank every.. oh, hour, I'd say. It's a weird noise, and there's no performance problems or anything, just a weird quirk.

• Locked thread