Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Another "started on a 250"er here. They're great bikes when they're running nicely. I convinced two my friends to buy bikes the right way and one has a 250 (other has gs500). The 250 was fun to ride again but it's been a bitch to get running right for someone with lack of carb knowledge. In it's current state it starts very easy and idles well with choke on some, but as it warms it wants to die.

We've:
Adjusted the valves. Bike had 11k and it probably never had been done, all valves were tight. Made starting easy but dies when hot, which, annoyingly enough, is usually touted as a symptom of tight valves.
Cleaned the carbs. And by that I mean, when we got into the carbs and they were spotlessly clean even after sitting for nearly a year with no prep. Cleaned them anyways.
New plugs and fresh gas. One of the old plugs was literally missing part of the electrode or whatever you call it, but it still sparked.
New batt, for good measure.
Nothing obvious like leaky gas from a stuck float but I can't figure out what gives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread