Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Now that I've actually ridden one of these bikes, you are having a laugh with the thread title right? I mean, it's not fast at all but it sticks to corners on the street really well for what it is and is tiny and flickable as hell. I'm contemplating some localforum rides on the thing just to embarrass some egos, but then I worry about a moron running up the back of me :smug:

It doesn't get there quick but it can stay the pace no sweat, I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Am I one of you now? I'll have to find out later, time to put about 300 miles on it or so.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
At least hack the bottom section, the PO did on mine and it looks much better.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Apology accepted.

:stare:

The gas gauge on my '09 is just crap, even by gas gauge standards. At full tank it reads 3/4, at 3/4 it reads 1/4, and after 70 or 80 miles or so it just reads empty. Is this common, and why might it be doing this? I tend to go by mileage anyway so it's doesn't really matter to me, but it is annoying. I'm used to gauges being off but not reading empty for 140 miles or more.

Edit: Actually, I was assuming a 4 gallon tank but I just looked it up and it's 4.8, meaning at around 3.8 gallons it reads 1/4 and ten or twenty miles has it on 0.

I was skimming the thread for anyone else mentioning this cause I've yet to read the whole thing, I had a bit of deja vu with the overheard stupid motorcycle poo poo thread, except I think it was you telling me to lose some weight phil :p

frozenphil posted:

Would you guys think ill of me if I said I was dreaming about a bigger bike? I really would like a little more passing power at 70mph or so, where I spend the majority of my commute. It sucks being stuck behind some terrible drivers and having no good way to quickly get around them while at speed.

:(

blugu64 posted:

Get on a diet fatty.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 13, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I notice the gas smell from carb'd bikes more than FI but that's just anecdotal. I really only notice the smell on the 250 when it sings to me as it vents the tank.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Mine is strong enough to lock the rear when I was testing it without excessive force, so something seems not right.

Rear brake on hill starts eh? We have some nasty hills on some of the close backroads here, and I tend to keep both feet planted and use the front brake when I need to come to a complete stop.

I noticed when puttering about yesterday, after lubing my chain and changing the rear preload as an experiment (as well as adjusting everything the PO had out of whack, slopply throttle and clutch), and I noticed a hesitation/surge in the bike in the 5500-7500 rev range when cruising. Throttle was steady as far as I can tell, and there weren't really any road hazards that may have cause it.

I put it down to poorer tuning in a range where the bike isn't making much power, since it wasn't very drastic. The bike will be nearing a valve check soon so I might as well take a look at the carbs when I'm in there, but is this normal for other people?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

I'd try seafoam and copious throttle application.

:thumbsup: Don't have to tell me twice.

There's more and more evidence coming to light that the previous owners did all of nothing for maintenance for the first 6000 miles of this poor bike's life.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I have it's first valve check in 1000 miles so I'll probably wait till I have everything apart to do that. It's not like it's sputtering and dying in the street.

I've seafoamed a car before with glorious results, but it was FI. I should be fine just putting it in the tank right? Or is it worth it to find a vacuum line? I haven't even taken the plastics off yet so I haven't really seen what I'm dealing with, other than pictures on the internet.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah I wasn't planning on the oil, I meant using a vacuum line to run it direct into the carbs. I just put a half can in the gas tank, easier.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's pretty cool to read about all the new riders here.

Boss, it sounds like my first times out as well. I tried to avoid busy roads and found places like cemeteries and certain larger parks to be good places to practice. Usually there are a good number of turns, and as long as the pavement is alright they're usually not too busy and not too fast.

Ride within your limits and have fun!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sorry the supermoto thread is over that way --->

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
When an '08+ tips, what tends to get beat up? I'm going to be helping my sister get back to riding (she's done the MSF but some time ago, rode for a while then had a break) and I'm wondering if it's worth it to take the plastics off the side for her first few gos, or if I'd risk damaging something underneath worse.

For the tail plastics, I wonder if I could maybe just tape something that will wear a bit to the pointy ends...I dunno. I'm just kind of sad because the point of this bike is for her to get comfortable, but chances are it will be dropped and as of now it's undropped and pretty :(

nsaP fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 4, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Get ready for a barrage of people telling you to buy an older one, as it'll stick closer to the value you pay for it when it comes time to sell it, and you won't feel so bad when you tip it over for the first time.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I kicked the pre-load up to 4 and rode myself and a friend home from work today, the first time riding 2 on it. It was surprisingly alright, I had to rev it a bit more to get started but it felt solid for city commuting. We only made it up to about 35 or 40 and had no real surprises, so I never really went hard on the brakes or had any significant lean or anything, but it was much more capable than I expected.

The biggest problem was my pillion freaking out about braking and upcoming road hazards (I guess he wonders how I make it home everyday? He'd be going "red light, red light!" more than 2x as far away as my normal braking start, chuckles), and turning the bike for me a bit. Once I realized he'd be giving me slight adjustments it was fine for city commuting.

Has anyone ran 2 on the highway? He suggested taking the highway but I thought it'd be terrifying. Perhaps with a pillion that's more of a backpack, but even then I feel like acceleration and top speed would take a hit.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I put a Wolo Bad Boy on the ninja today, trying to use the stock horn mount. No dice. It's got way too much play in it for the added weight, and was bouncing around on the test ride I took it out for. Anyone else put a little air horn on a ninja, and what did you use to mount/where did you mount it?

It was a tight squeeze at the front, trying to avoid the speedo and brake lines. Since the stock mount isn't going to work, I'd like to put it on the side somewhere, as there's a ton of empty space between the fairings and the frame.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
How do they get off charging more in premiums for a year than the bike is worth? I can't imagine paying that much with the same variables here, even with topped out liability and comprehensive coverage.

Edit: My cripes you poor bastards, on my dad's (admittedly great state farm) coverage 6 months of comprehensive is like 38 bucks with tax :911:...VVVV

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 13, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The new owner appreciates your sacrifice.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Please recruit someone to videotape this.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If a bike gave me that much trouble I'd sell it the way it was and buy a new 250 before motor swapping.

"Help me sell my broken bike"
"Nah just swap the motor"

:bang:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Videos of morons make the rounds on the internet, not sure why you're so surprised. I didn't even think it was a video worth sharing with other forums unless they know you, it's not even bad enough or funny enough.

Just sad. They'll probably use your new video as justification for why a driver hitting and killing you on the motorway wasn't at fault.

Edit: lol

Alex posted:

That's the thing about being dumb. You're too dumb to realize that you're dumb, causing your dumbness to be unknowingly displayed over and over again. In the age of youtube, someone that dumb has the ability to broadcast their exquisite dumbness to millions of viewers who can all point at the screen in unison, saying "what a dumbass."

Poor Triumph.

I gave them an update so you don't have to mootmoot :wink:

nsaP fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 23, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was talking to my dad about how the break ins for newer things aren't as strict as they used to be, and went to look up the ninja break in to show him, thinking it would be around 6-7k. I found the same thing you did, it said don't go above 4.

Everyone involved in that has to know it's bullshit. I rev to 4k to get it rolling and it barely makes enough power to keep itself going at that speed. I don't get how lugging your motor for hundreds of miles is good for it's extended life.

I'd agree with the above advice.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
No, the tender should charge it from being dead, it sounds like it's not connected properly. I would check the battery and make sure the tender cables have a good connection and that they aren't backwards.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You can rev it higher than that as long as it's up to temperature. Try to not stay at one engine speed too long. I might not wind it all the way out but going up to 8k or so isn't going to kill it.

What's going to be annoying for your MSF instructor is trying to break you of all the bad habits you're forming riding around now. I'm sure it's hard to not ride, but it'll be easier to learn in 2 weeks if you don't putter about.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah he omitted a few negatives of the pre and positives of the post 08, but its whatever. Not worth a fight and they aren't that different.

The old ones are ugly as gently caress tho.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

BlueBayou posted:

Oh sure, pick the ugliest color scheme for the pregens

I agree and in my defense it wasn't my bias, someone else made the image and I found it on google. I was going to put some pics of them side by side but I went with that pic when I found it because :effort:

The Yellow one above looks p. good.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
In the little guy's defense they sound better at higher revs, you just don't normally hear it as a rider. I agree it sounds awful at idle and I make fun of it too, but it's not so bad. Do what you feel but aftermarket exhausts on a bike like a 250 is funny to me.

Unless you're in KKKalifornia I don't know if I've ever heard of someone getting nabbed for an exhaust, tho z3n is right in that any modification is illegal most places. I know Kentucky says that you can't modify it to make it louder at least.

I looked it up to shut up my dad who was giving me endless poo poo and warnings about how I was going to be hassled by cops for having 1 mirror. Nevermind that I looked up the law and 1 mirror is 100% legal here. Meanwhile he farts around on a loud as poo poo bike with a barely visible license plate and those stupid taillights that flash designs all of the time (don't get me started on those....makes the brake lights worthless). I don't know how he thought I'd attract more attention, but like I said I've never had trouble or even heard of someone having trouble for equipment.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh, I forgot to say I looked into this and neither of the bike specific forums had anything before buying a slip on.

Don't forget it'll probably need the jetting adjusted or it'll run worse.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Put your feet whatever is comfortable so long as they don't get in the way. I use different placement on different bikes and depending on the situation.

You can adjust for turns or whatever.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

blue squares posted:

What are some fun and cheap things to do/add to a Ninja 250? I love mine but don't want to invest a ton of money into it.

I have a lot of fun on my ninja putting gas in the tank. If you don't want to spend money just ride it and upgrade it in a bit. If you end up wanting to dump money into it ninjette.org and ninja250.org should have a lot of inspiration.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Have you tried moving your hand closer to the edge of the bar in the meantime?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
My '09 reads about 3/4 when it's full and reads empty from a half tank down. I averaged out the mileage after a few rides and go by that in general.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Ram mounts are the poo poo and worth the price.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's your bike so you do what you feel, I'd save that for my next bike tho.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Their gas gauge is also awful. That seems like your mileage is pretty poo poo.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I ended up taking my sister's 250 to a mechanic instead of trying to do it myself, and if it's any consolation to you he told me to sell it before it needs another one done. I guess it's easier on a Hyabusa.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So my sister's 250 has been collecting dust for a while and now it won't hold idle. I think she's one of those people that likes the idea of riding more than riding, so the thing just sits here. I rode it last year a lot and got a lot more comfortable riding on it so it was nice for that, but now the poor thing just sits. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAnyway.

The last time it was run was super warm for sure, and I was trying to start it last night at around 45-50 degrees. First it took a while to even fire, but would eventually fire and run with full choke. Even after I let it warm a while(10-15 minutes I was fiddling with it) it would just die after taking the choke off. I fiddled with the idle adjustment screw a bit but couldn't get it to make a difference. Eventually I just gave up and rode to where I was going on my EFI bike, gently caress yah.

So today I thought I'd mess with it again when it was warmer. Well, I'm an idiot because I had the idle adjustment screw turned way out and I ended up completely unscrewing it about 2 minutes after trying to mess with it today, so now I get to take the fairings off and fix that. Before I do any more damage, what should be the steps I take to fix this guy up? Start with it all the way tight and work out, or what?

It also had a slight miss but I'm not worrying about that much yet since it's not been run in a while.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 6, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

Pilot jet is clogged. Backing the screw out didn't do any damage but you'll need to reinstall it, and if it has a lock spring, make sure that gets on there too. If you can get it to idle with the idle screw turned all the way in, then the pilot jet is still clogged. Those 250 jets clog drat near instantly, the passages for the pilots are tiny.

Also put fresh gas in it and make sure the battery is topped off.

Yeah, a spring and washer came off with it, I have them. Tendered the battery after last night but swapping the gas is a good idea. So I should start with it turned all the way in then?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

Better to have it turned in too far than not far enough. That screw just opens the throttle slightly. Too much and it'll just rev high, too little, and it will have a lot of difficulty starting.

Yeah I never looked at what it did before, putting it back on it's pretty simple there.

It was warmer tonight so I put some fresh gas and sea foam in it. All the way in revved it to about 5k lol, but with a bit of playing it's running better. I took it for an Italian tune up and it seems to be doing alright, I'll ride it around in a few days and see. Gotta get new tires too...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Resource posted:

Is there anywhere to get cheap not broken original handlebars for the pregen 250? I can't seem to find a good condition bar for less than 40 dollars shipped. Which seems like a lot for a metal tube.
Ah but it is a bent tube.

Er wait, the old ones had clip ons too didn't it? Are you getting the hardware too?

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

SaNChEzZ posted:

Just take it all off, naked.

I told him but he wasn't listening.

Tho I'll say, that gen isn't particularly pretty underneath the fairings. Skinny funny looking exhaust pipes and a coolant reservoir hanging out, along with some other stuff that looks better behind fairings.

• Locked thread