Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.
I don't know how many of you've seen this, but she did an absolutely amazing cover of Coldplay's Viva La Vida: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uFRg2epy-w

I generally dislike Coldplay, and this song is no exception, but she really does it justice.

e: Well, I guess except for the 3 times she messes it up, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Malaleb posted:

I agree with this. Her songs are fine for 80s inspired synth-pop, and I feel like there is certainly some creativity in her image, fashion, music, videos, etc, but it doesn't really seem like it is breaking any new ground. Obviously, artists don't have to be completely new and original to be good, but an outlandish image isn't very effective if you feel like you've seen it before.

I think if anything she's bringing it to a new generation, because this generation (the people that don't remember/weren't around for the 80's) doesn't have a Bowie or any other performer that wants their image to be something other than skimpy clothing. The closest we had was Bjork, but she didn't captivate a Western audience as thoroughly as Lady Gaga is doing.

Of course you could pick apart her image and every photoshoot she does and find the references, but it doesn't really matter: her image is the most unique and original thing out there in pop music right now.

Now, the music itself is just good pop. That's been around for a long long time. :v:

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

angerbotSD posted:

New single & Bad Romance video teaser
:toot::dance:

So you're on ONTD too, huh? :v:

I'm really excited about that Bad Romance clip. I was hoping she was going to go for a darker look after her VMA performance, which I think was the first huge mainstream performance in a long time that was trying to say something.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well, I'm working on getting it out this week to coincide with the release of the "Bad Romance" video (God, when is it going to drop?), but here is a snippet:

She made a statement via Twitter/Facebook recently that it'd be Tuesday morning PST. I don't know if she means midnight or 8am. Regardless, I can't wait.

I realized that Lady Gaga is really the first pop act that I've ever been really excited about. I'm excited her new album, her new songs, her new show, etc. Before I would always think, "Oh hey, so-and-so has a new song. It's kind of catchy/whatever". I honestly never thought that I'd be waiting for a freaking music video to premiere.

Not only is she trying to do something different with her image/persona, she clearly has a concept and treats her work like art instead of looking for her next hit to get rich and famous.

E: Has anyone got their hands on a pair of Beats, whether they're Dre's or Gaga's? She made an interesting statement that music coming out of computers/iPods just sound so horrible to producers/artists because so much is compressed, and these headphones were Dre's way of trying to fix that. I thought about it because Thurston Moore recently said the same thing about his iPhone being horrible for listening music to, and as someone who only listens to music via computer/iPods, I wonder if there really is something I'm missing out on.

ArmoredBlue fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 10, 2009

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

quote:

Now, other than that, there's the ipod/computer/iphone itself. While lovely audio output hardware can negatively affect the sound you hear, and portable devices are going to struggle to drive some bigger headphones, Thurston Moore complaining about ipods "maniacally compressing" the sound is just an aging dude being cranky.

Ah, that makes sense. Good to know I should be looking at headphones and not iPods and whatnot.

angerbotSD posted:

Yeah I'm riding the GaGa train too but look at what you're posting.

Hey now, the Thurston train is what got me wondering about the whole thing. The Gaga train was just decorated better. :colbert:

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

When I saw the 30-second clip, I thought that this was going to be really intense and something to behold, but little did I know that they managed to find the most boring 30-second section of the video, and that's saying a lot. While she does have a lot of musical ability and a great voice, I think her decision to write purely pop hits allowed her to do really crazy things like this video. I cannot wait to see where she decides to take her career after this, because this is definitely a big change.

NicelyNice posted:

In the video, Gaga was wearing a Steve McQueen dress (the shimmery one with the anteater lookin' shoes) - does she usually wear other designers stuff? Who does her wardrobe?

I'd say a large portion of what she wore after Poker Face blew up is designer made, though some of her really out-there stuff (like the orbit dress for example) is made by her small fashion team called the Haus of Gaga.

ArmoredBlue fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 11, 2009

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Her second single, Telephone, leaked recently and it sounds like it could hit number 1 quite easily: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RjOT9bybII

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

So The Fame Monster is out on Italy iTunes. I'm only halfway through and it's really good so far.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Amethyst Citrine posted:

New album just leaked.

She just keeps stepping it up.

& Speechless sounds so drat classic.

Teeth is absolutely the best way to end the album. It just makes me want to listen to it all over again.

Monster is growing on me, and So Happy I Could Die has really catchy parts. While this is short, I totally agree that the length is perfect; this is a full body of work and feels very consistent (though it could be that the rest of The Fame will always be overshadowed by the four singles).

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

Oh my God "Video Phone" is a horrible song. The lyrics sound like they were written by somebody desperately trying to be into "what those teens like!"

I think Beyonce realized how much better Telephone is going to do and that the best way for her to increase her mileage is to get Gaga on board and hopefully confuse people into listening to her song when they look for Telephone.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

So apparently the version that is available now on iTunes is censored (with the exception of Bad Romance), but her label just tweeted that they're going to release the uncensored versions soon. Just a heads up for those planning on buying it and would be annoyed (I know I would be).

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Blodskur posted:

Excellent, do you have a link for that tweet? The fact the album has been censored has been the only thing preventing me from going to the shops and buying it today. Wait, that better not just be iTunes only, I want to buy the disc of it.

Yeah, they say they're making it available asap: http://twitter.com/cherrytreerec/status/5945702666

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

Stuff about censoring

I think uncensored versions of albums take a bit longer to come out, so they probably pushed this version through to get it out before the holidays. I don't know how long an uncensored version will take. Thankfully there's only 3 tracks that really suffer from it, and it's not too much of a detraction.

quote:

I know this is late but that sample has been in tons of songs. The most recent that I can think of is 'Warp 1.9' by The Bloody Beetroots, are you thinking of that?

If I'm not mistaken that sound effect is called a "hoover" and is used a lot in rave music.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

gently caress! I bought the 2-disc version at Target, and my wife already opened it. I really would have preferred an uncensored version, but it's probably too late now. It didn't have any kind of "Censored" warning labels or anything! Do you know what the differences are?

At least one The Fame Monster, the only things that are censored are "I'm a free bitch" on Bad Romance and the intro to Dance in the Dark, and the line on Monster that (most likely goes), "We might've hosed, not really sure, don't quite recall".

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Tomorrow (well, I guess today, technically) Lady Gaga will be on Ellen, interviewing and performing Bad Romance and Speechless. If you can't be bothered to watch it live, her performance of Speechless is already up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRILEQhJqoo&feature=player_embedded

I would say it's one of my least favorite songs on The Fame Monster, but she absolutely nailed it live. It's one of those songs that benefit from the full emotion of a live performance.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Lady Gaga performed Speechless for the Queen of England today, with a very cool piano that kind me of reminds of Beksinski:

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

I don't want to post anything for fear of :filez: but uncensored versions of Monster and Dance in the Dark are acquirable.

e: And it's amazing.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

helsabot posted:

well women should stop being such babies about stuff then

...about what? Rampant sexism and heteronormative standards?

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

I want to go to this so bad...

I think Fred Phelps is only going so he can secretly sneak in and watch from the back.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Look Under The Rock posted:

I like the articles that tell me how she's an Illuminati puppet.

Half the reason I'm excited for Telephone and Alejandro to be singles is to read the inevitable Illuminati articles about the videos.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Despite being sick, she was able to interview on Oprah and perform: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTu5urB6ArA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYA1Ab2bJbc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyDjiKlmx1w
e: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ha1xw1ais&feature=related

ArmoredBlue fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 16, 2010

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

RedneckwithGuns posted:

As good as the duet with Elton was last night, it was also really cool to see the narrative Gaga is trying to weave around her music as an introduction to the duet. Kind of like what people were talking about at the very beginning of this thread, it's one of the more interesting parts about her work so far because it actually gives substance to the music rather than just "Oh hey this song is pretty catchy :dance: ". I haven't seen her in concert, which it seems to me is where most of this stuff is seen rather than just through listening to her albums, but if it was a more public part of her image it might give her a greater presence of a talented artist rather than just a pop-star. But if the "story" behind her music is any influence over this, the public thinking she's just a soulless pop-star is playing along with it.

It's all really :2bong:

I really like the performance art aspect to her shows, and I took it to mean that many people perceive her just as another soulless pop star that will go away in a year ("I got another Lady Gaga!"), but when the real deal finally came along, it was blowing all the competition out of the water, and though they try to get rid of her, she just comes straight back with the support of her fans.

I interpret it as she intends to be around for a long, long time which I am more than happy with. :)

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Crowbear posted:

That was one of the best music videos I have ever seen. I... I just... I'm so blown away.

I wonder if it will be a song from Fame Monster or one off her next album that's the sequel to the video.

Her next confirmed single is Alejandro, and while I wouldn't be surprised if the "To Be Continued..." is not genuine, I'd like to think they flee to Mexico and meet up with some Mexican guys with names that end in the letter "o".

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Sgt Karate Chop posted:

e: also the dude talkin into bread like a phone.

Right when that part starts there's a guy in front of her that's listening to a head of lettuce and it's funny every time I see it.

e: This one: http://i43.tinypic.com/1gizr.gif

quote:

Is this her sister?

While I don't have a solid source, LJ tells me it is. Looks just like her!

Also, the Virgin Mobile ad placement makes sense, because earlier they had a deal where if you volunteered at a homeless shelter you'd get free VIP tickets to her show.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

I love the commentary about Fame, crime, and consumption in this video. If you're rich and famous, another rich and famous person can bail you out with no problem, even if you did get convicted of murder.

I think the diner scene was, in part, about American diets killing us (we're literally eating poison and by the time we realize it, it's already too late), but I can't help but feel she's talking about herself and the pop world: pop stars and the media come from a dark, selfish place, and if you consume it too fast without question, they'll just dance on your corpse and move on without remorse. When the police are after her and Beyonce at the end, who's to say that another rich and famous perosn won't bail her out again?

I'd say it's also a commentary about how when celebrities do something bad, they are easily forgiven as long as they make music and headlines and whatnot.

I don't know if I'm reading too much into this, but either way, she's gotten me thinking a lot about fame and pop culture, and I'd say that's good enough for me.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

combee posted:

Saw her on Wednesday night. Show owned. So many weird rear end loving outfits. My favourite was her get-up for Alejandro.

Also does anybody actually like "Money Honey"? Everybody I've spoken to hates that song.

I love Money Honey, it's one of my favorite non-singles tracks from The Fame.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Here's a video of US soldiers in Afghanistan dancing to Telephone: http://www.mediaite.com/online/u-s-soldiers-in-afghanistan-remake-lady-gagas-telephone-music-video/

There's a Don't Ask, Don't Tell joke in here somewhere.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

machchunk posted:

Yea, they usually just move on as soon as each single starts dropping, if they're smart. However, both Telephone and Alejandro were getting buzz before their adds dates. Telephone was in the top 20, I think, for part of Bad Romance's run at #1, and they eventually met in the top 3.

She also said Alejandro was her favorite song off this album, and it seems like shes' anxious to get it out there and perform it live. She hasn't performed Telephone live in the US and she's doing Bad Romance/Alejandro on American Idol on Wednesday.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Hasn't Gaga played Future Love live during the Monster Ball in Europe? If so I can't wait to see it live

I don't know if she's played it at the Monster Ball, but she's definitely done it on the Fame Ball tour. I personally love it and am glad there's finally a clear studio demo of it.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

A few other demos leaked along with Future Love:

Ribbons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N5Px8J6Prk&feature=player_embedded
Oh Well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UGYZLGP9nI&feature=player_embedded
Sexy Ugly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpzVFAPlRRA&feature=player_embedded
Blueberry Kisses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loirws1e5vE&feature=player_embedded

...and what sounds like an early demo of Eh, Eh with totally different lyrics, called Sometimes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ruVYdurI_k&feature=player_embedded#at=56

I think Ribbons is kind of cute, Oh Well really grew on me halfway through the song and is my favorite, and the other two are good, just not amazing.

e: Oh never mind, they're all old. I wish Future Love had made the cut.

ArmoredBlue fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 8, 2010

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

If you've ever wanted to see Gaga sing "Don't Stop Believing" with Elton John, Sting, Springsteen, and others, your wish has come true! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcIEEdTiNak

Note that there are probably better versions of this if you look around.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

She said in her Larry King interview that her new album isn't coming out until next year, so I think there's at least 2 more singles she could use. And, if I'm not mistaken, she said at a show recently that Dance in the Dark would be the next single, which I hope is true.

As for the music video, I think it showcases her fears nicely, in the way I read it. I thought Bad Romance was overall about her breaking out of the music industry mold, Telephone was about how she can get away with anything as a celebrity, and Alejandro revealed that she's aware and afraid that her fans who have vaulted her into fame can take her down just as easily if they don't like what she's doing.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Gup posted:

I'm wondering what your guys favorite demo/unreleased song by her is. Mine definitely is No way. I'm sure you can find it on youtube :)!
url]

I'm absolutely in love with Sexy Ugly, Future Love, and Wonderful. Future Love makes me want to learn piano so I can play it loud and sing obnoxiously all day long.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

slow hands posted:

It's good, but it's not flooring me. :(

At the same time...it's new gaga :unsmith:

I feel the same way; it could be because I loved Bad Romance from the first listen and still listen to it now. But yeah, I'm sure it'll grow on me, and it's new Gaga, which means new videos and new live performances.

Also still disappointed over the chola/orient lines. :(

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

What?

I don't even know what to say right now.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Regarding the use of "Orient", here's a helpful wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism#Edward_Said_and_.22Orientalism.22

Basically, the idea is that it refers to the way the West/white people view people of the area (also, as someone said, defining them from the Western point of view). Specifically, the area/people have been portrayed as "exotic" and "barbaric" and have been reduced down to a 1001 Arabian Nights stereotype (think Aladdin), but more recently as "brown people = terorrism and jihad". You never hear many good humanitarian stories coming from the area, do you?

It is, at the least, ignorant (along with chola, which I'm sure is not referring to the dynasty) and unfortunate. :( :(

ANYWAY, I like the video after letting it sink it and seeing it again. :)

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

Your Wikipedia link isn't any more valid to this than the other 10 links posted.

I didn't see any other links other than the ones abouts cholas, which is a different thing? :confused:

quote:

I've searched through my history and can't find it, but I read an article shortly after the single was released that mentioned the "Lebanese" and "Orient" references. The author pointed to them both being references to their "lesbian" and "orientation" pun counterparts. I had a bit of a smack-my-forehead-duh moment when I read it.

I'm hoping this was the intention, but unfortunately intention is largely irrelevant. I'm kind of surprised she hasn't said anything about it (or perhaps no one's said anything to her about it).

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

I like every part except the chorus, but it's definitely grown on me over a few listens. Can't wait for the video and any live performances of this.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

HookShot posted:

I didn't love or hate Judas on first listen, but on the second liked it 300% more and now I'm on the third listen and I don't think I'm going to ever stop listening to this song.

Which is basically my exact emotional progression when Bad Romance leaked.

This is exactly what happened to me. I've been listening to it on repeat for so long, and it just gets better at the gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Soundboz posted:

She's performing at Radio1's Big Weekend right now, here's a stream if anyone's interested
http://www.justin.tv/wmc_tv

e: she just came out of a coffin with a leather-covered baby bump... oh

I thought this was one of her best Judas performances. It sounds like she finally got the live vocals/harmonies right.

• Locked thread