Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Bit late to this, anyone got any spare codes kicking around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Kaiho posted:

They're really changing things around.

I am still waiting for a Report song for being mistagged button though.

Or report an entire artist for being mistagged button.

It's Pan Sonic not Pansonic!!

Dude With Pants
May 29, 2010
You actually don't need any invites to sign up . The only thing you need is a vpn connection with a UK ip . There are a lot for vpn service trials you can choose from . Just sign up with a Uk ip and every two weeks you 'll have to use again the vpn connection with Spotify ;)

PS here are two invites if anyone needs them

nNCuGG8FHRSH66JK
ccrVYGegfd5TrFCT

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Dude With Pants posted:

You actually don't need any invites to sign up . The only thing you need is a vpn connection with a UK ip . There are a lot for vpn service trials you can choose from . Just sign up with a Uk ip and every two weeks you 'll have to use again the vpn connection with Spotify ;)

PS here are two invites if anyone needs them

nNCuGG8FHRSH66JK
ccrVYGegfd5TrFCT

Has anyone checked if buying premium bypasses this?

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Dude With Pants posted:

ccrVYGegfd5TrFCT

I used this one. Thanks

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Anyone have any more?
The two above are gone, I'd like to try this.

Dude With Pants
May 29, 2010

Factory posted:

Anyone have any more?
The two above are gone, I'd like to try this.

dgYPEVmpV65DLDee
aJp7YEaK2AXEfUK6
aAep5bN2aBPgF8R8

Here you are , enjoy ;)

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dude With Pants posted:

dgYPEVmpV65DLDee
aJp7YEaK2AXEfUK6
aAep5bN2aBPgF8R8

Here you are , enjoy ;)

Used this. Thanks a ton!
aJp7YEaK2AXEfUK6

crandnew
Jul 5, 2008

Too Hot for the Hot Tub
Does anybody have any more? All the ones above are taken.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Isn't this the service where Lady Gaga was paid $160 for one million plays?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Dorepoll posted:

Isn't this the service where Lady Gaga was paid $160 for one million plays?

Yes. How much did YouTube play her? Oh right.

(The big record companies did a deal with Spotify in return for equity, resulting in pretty opaque payout terms and less money for the big, signed artists than possibly could be).

tilp
Apr 7, 2010
I love Spotify: it's pretty much the only thing getting me through my masters exams. But I really wish they'd sort out that bizarre unintuitive passive/active queuing system...

edit: Also I can't get over the child-in-a-sweetshop feeling of having, say, every Neil Young album available to play when I only own one.

tilp fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 3, 2010

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Does anybody have some more invites?

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
If Spotify is giving you trouble. Grooveshark is a suitable replacement. It sucks that Lala and Imeem are gone.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Medical posted:

Grooveshark is a suitable replacement.

Sign me up for a service with hardly any complete albums, uncertain legal status and content that depends entirely on its users :)

ascheapaschewinggum
May 27, 2010

i hate myself and want to zizek
I was thinking about this service earlier.

Going by the pay-per-play figures that Holy Roar claim (£0.06p, which is the highest estimate I've heard), if you listened to a playlist of songs by the same artist for an entire year solid without pausing they'd earn about £79. That's 8675 hours of solid music. Less money when you factor in the advert time.

I'm disabling last.fm, leaving mine on mute playing a few songs from labels I like on repeat and I hope the £6-7 a month I generate by playing their music 24/7 pays for three copies of an album to be pressed or something. Sort of like Folding@Home for independent music.

It's amazing how little money reaches the labels. There are bands on here I've spent more money buying drinks for than I would have generated if I listened to them exclusively on Spotify. It'd take three or four years for me to generate the same revenue on Spotify as I would by buying a single disc, and that's bands I listen to quite a lot.

I suppose it's different for major labels but I assumed a lot more advertising money reached the artists than that.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

You can bet that they have procedures in place blocking constant listening like that from being counted.

Thing is you may have spent more money on bands' drinks, but they also got a cut of the ticket price, etc. If you compare the money artists make on radio plays in different countries it's not too far off the couple of cents a pop.

Dude With Pants
May 29, 2010

crandnew posted:

Does anybody have any more? All the ones above are taken.

Here you are ;)

fmqW7WEhpfL6nEPx
a8N8T6LUYwTJp4f9
cb2hq8am82u2kLu9
dRpzVq8HscnYWMn7

Enjoy spotify !

Happy New Year
Aug 17, 2005
Used dRpzVq8HscnYWMn7

Thanks!

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

edit

Slamma Jamma! fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 6, 2014

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Kaiho posted:

Yes. How much did YouTube play her? Oh right.

Youtube isn't trying to be replace iTunes. Spotify is marketed as a desktop media player, and is directly linked to the labels.

I see your point, but there are going to be people that use Spotify instead of iTunes because they see it as a legitimate media player that happens to have every song on it for free.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Dorepoll posted:

Youtube isn't trying to be replace iTunes. Spotify is marketed as a desktop media player, and is directly linked to the labels.

I see your point, but there are going to be people that use Spotify instead of iTunes because they see it as a legitimate media player that happens to have every song on it for free.

Artists are free to take issue with the payment model with their labels then, considering those labels have large equity shares in Spotify inc LLC whateveritis. They're the ones to talk to. Individual artists repping themselves and putting their material available on Spotify can and do negotiate their own rates.

And people listen to music off of YouTube a lot more than you think they do.

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!
Some more invites coming up!

bMydNqFbDD9GxAPN
frG22g6tBYCK3f4B
d85z3fBmbYe23CPJ
fcttPV89CKkS6MaR
aJCS2JTC8ZBpGSNf

Enjoy. :)

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Shadowborn posted:

bMydNqFbDD9GxAPN
Thanks dude!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Shadowborn posted:

Some more invites coming up!

bMydNqFbDD9GxAPN
frG22g6tBYCK3f4B
d85z3fBmbYe23CPJ
fcttPV89CKkS6MaR
aJCS2JTC8ZBpGSNf

Enjoy. :)

All of these are used. Thanks for posting that you took them, everyone... :rolleyes:

Anyone have any invites around?

TIA.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice
Spotify Open is available without invites, but limited to 20 hours of music per month (which sucks if you're like me and listens to music continously while at work).

Invite time!
bPBma4Ssx3YhL76K
fe3MBJadUYHTXm79
cCkSKxYdeNEzarUF
aCP4zV4pJUSSV8fk

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?
Now that iPhone OS 4 / iOS4 is coming out in a few days, does anyone know if the Spotify app will support multitasking?

UnlikelyHero
Dec 8, 2007

Fat Friend Fiesta

Dr. Awesome Beard posted:

Spotify Open is available without invites, but limited to 20 hours of music per month (which sucks if you're like me and listens to music continously while at work).

Invite time!
bPBma4Ssx3YhL76K
fe3MBJadUYHTXm79
cCkSKxYdeNEzarUF
aCP4zV4pJUSSV8fk

I used this code, thanks!

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
Americans, we might have our answer to Spotify.

http://www.rdio.com/

Tony SpaZ
Dec 17, 2009

Medical posted:

Americans, we might have our answer to Spotify.

http://www.rdio.com/

Consider me cynically excited and signed up. Have you gotten into the closed beta (I assume it's beta?) and, if so, how's it look/act in relation to the aforementioned services?

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!

micropenis posted:

Now that iPhone OS 4 / iOS4 is coming out in a few days, does anyone know if the Spotify app will support multitasking?

I hear it does. CNet wrote something about being able to listen to Spotify while surfing the web a while back.

Edit: And the Spotify site says they're working hard on an OS4 release.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?

Shadowborn posted:

I hear it does. CNet wrote something about being able to listen to Spotify while surfing the web a while back.

Edit: And the Spotify site says they're working hard on an OS4 release.

Gave it a shot and it's not working, although on their support site they say they are working on it. I bit too vague for my liking since I already bought a premium subscription in the hopes that they will have released an updated.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Dr. Awesome Beard posted:

Invite time!
bPBma4Ssx3YhL76K
fe3MBJadUYHTXm79
cCkSKxYdeNEzarUF
aCP4zV4pJUSSV8fk

Goddammit, these are all taken - fuckin' post if you're taking them.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I can renew my premium if you're still reading and want a key!

got 2 keys, post emails and i'll send them out.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 24, 2010

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine

Tony SpaZ posted:

Consider me cynically excited and signed up. Have you gotten into the closed beta (I assume it's beta?) and, if so, how's it look/act in relation to the aforementioned services?

Nope, but you can read about it here.
http://www.absolutepunk.net/journal.php?do=showentry&e=290122

Hugmonster VIII
Jan 5, 2008

i think that turtle
want to race us!

Medical posted:

Nope, but you can read about it here.
http://www.absolutepunk.net/journal.php?do=showentry&e=290122

Or in this topic that I posted a while ago and nobody saw.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
If you're outside the allowed countries, do you still have to login via proxy every 14 days? If so, does premium remove that? I just noticed that you can gift codes online now and if anyone's interested we can try that.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Iphone update with support for background listening has been released.

While i love Spotify, they really need to work some more on the UI. I got a shitload of playlists and it's getting a bit unorganized. It would help if, for example, it would be possible to create maps in which to place playlists, like Itunes supports.

Elected by Dogs
Apr 20, 2006

Tony SpaZ posted:

If anything based on the press releases/site/whatever, it just syncs your local mp3s to the "cloud" and gives you access to them versus giving you a massive collection of music like spotify

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynes
Dec 23, 2002

^^^ This isn't true at all. You can listen to whatever is in their collection. No syncing of your library required (though it is a thing you can do).

Biiaru posted:

Or in this topic that I posted a while ago and nobody saw.

Yeah, I've been loving Rdio. I just started using it recently but the web interface and iPhone app are great; being able to cache music for offline listening is a big plus. I'd still like to try Spotify, primarily to compare the libraries of the two. Rdio is good but incomplete at points, which is to be expected.

• Locked thread