Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Just got it on iOS a few hours ago. It's been pretty great so far. Good mix of old/new/unheard songs.

I love what Spotify is doing with their discovery stuff. In my experience their computer generated ones are way better than Apple's curated ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The last update for Spotify on iOS was a week ago. There is no new update you need to download for the daily mix.

Edit: I long for the day the "hide unplayable songs" toggle keeps enabling itself...

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 28, 2016

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Oh, got it now. I just force quit the app and reloaded. I like that it gives me four different playlists which seem to be themed by the different types of music I listen to on Spotify, too. Good job!

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

With all these song suggestion options I'm barely listening to the music I already know. I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of the time I'm listening to something I hadn't heard before. Even in the days of P2P music downloading I could have never imagined having access to this much music. I've pretty much stopped listening to podcasts, it was getting in the way of my music way too much :v:

This is me now, last couple of months I have just been listening to the Discover Weekly playlist on shuffle each week and then dipping into full albums of artists I have really liked. Barely touched my actual saved library. Only this week was Discover a bit iffy but still had some good stuff.

Really liking the new daily mixes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Is that new playlist feature not available for desktop or Android yet or am I just a dummy?

EDIT: I'm a dummy is the answer.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 28, 2016

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I got a bit nostalgic for the previous year and tried to use Spotifys "Year in Music" to see what I had listened to in 2015. But when I login it seems to freeze up and nothing happens. Is it busted for anyone else?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Lamquin posted:

I got a bit nostalgic for the previous year and tried to use Spotifys "Year in Music" to see what I had listened to in 2015. But when I login it seems to freeze up and nothing happens. Is it busted for anyone else?

It does something that seems to be very heavy lifting for the browser. It was a while since I tried it but I think it took some time to load and then was a bit sluggish. Fresh browser / fewer tabs / something to give browser more oumpf is what I'd try.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Apparently the Daily Mix is only for Android/iOS? Spotify is so weird.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

totalnewbie posted:

Apparently the Daily Mix is only for Android/iOS? Spotify is so weird.

Should be coming to desktop later.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I'm sure this is super obvious, but don't forget you can get the mix going on your phone and then play/control it from the desktop.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is there a way to save daily mix to your phone? Would be nice to use it in airplane mode.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I haven't figured out a way to do so other than adding the tracks to a separate playlist and then making that one available offline.

Not exactly convenient, but it works. (New thread title?)

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet
Daily mix seems really good. It's made one metal mix, one EDM and one chilled out electronic music, which is just the sort of "mood" playlist I want, rather than a weird mix of Slayer and Skrillex.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm curious how long it'll take them before they fix the bug with the desktop program where after an advertisement the progress bar and current song no longer update. It actually seems to have gotten worse, I just had a situation where the next/previous song buttons didn't work either and I had to restart to change songs.

I've seen the desktop version get worse and worse throughout the years, but it's still baffling at how terrible it is at times. How long has the bug been there where using the mouse scrollwheel will snap the position to the top of the playlist? 4 months at least? These kind of things are why I don't subscribe to premium all the time.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 11, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Well, looks like the last couple of updates have actually fixed all the above desktop issues. The song progress bar still freezes occasionally, but it seems I no longer have to restart to fix it.

It's also nice that with the updated interface they've giving the scroll-bar some contrast so you can actually see where you are while scrolling.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

The whole Neil Young discography just got added. I'm surprised they aren't making a bigger deal about that.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

It has only been unavailable for a year, it's probably just him realizing that nobody will ever buy a Pono.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I hadn't even heard of that thing and had to Google it. Hilarious. Either way I'm happy to be able to listen to After the Gold Rush this morning :cool:

It looks like Everybody Knows This is Nowhere is missing, which is a shame.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

me your dad posted:

I hadn't even heard of that thing and had to Google it. Hilarious. Either way I'm happy to be able to listen to After the Gold Rush this morning :cool:

It looks like Everybody Knows This is Nowhere is missing, which is a shame.

That album is credited to Neil Young & Crazy Horse. That album and a handful of others (Rust Never Sleeps, Live Rust, Ragged Glory, etc.) are under a separate artist page on Spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/1jVuLlkfKibBT0hXDnzQjp

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Ah thanks :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, holy poo poo. I'm a bad canadian, and I'm not really into Neil Young, so until you posted this, I thought that Moltar was just really, really weird (go to 8:40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18i30Kmx5R0

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
What the gently caress, Spotify? Usually my Discover Weekly is spot on, but this week, I find myself skipping more than I'm listening to when I usually don't skip at all. Mike Posner and Idina loving Menzel? I need to rethink my listening habits if this is what a week of piano and country gets me.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

D34THROW posted:

What the gently caress, Spotify? Usually my Discover Weekly is spot on, but this week, I find myself skipping more than I'm listening to when I usually don't skip at all. Mike Posner and Idina loving Menzel? I need to rethink my listening habits if this is what a week of piano and country gets me.

You should also take a look at any playlists you follow. I like some Spanish language music, but my DW list started getting overwhelmed. Turned out I'd subscribed to three or four Spanish playlists that were dominating my collection, even though I only listened to any of them once in a while.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Do the Daily Mix playlists change at all? I feel like it's the same playlist every day. I have a huge library.

Humphrey Appleby
Oct 30, 2013

Knowledge only means complicity in guilt; ignorance has a certain dignity.

89 posted:

Do the Daily Mix playlists change at all? I feel like it's the same playlist every day. I have a huge library.

I've noticed this as a large flaw. Mine changes only incredibly slightly and slowly. I can't tell if it's intended but I think it should be a lot more aggressive in removing/adding songs.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
So what are you supposed to do when something that Spotify clearly had before has just disappeared into the ether presumably because of some stupid licensing deal? what.cd is dead and I've never been one for maintaining all my music collection on disk myself, but apparently some intersection of Snegiri Music and what have you has wiped out a bunch of artists I liked from the former Soviet Union. I don't really want to deal with getting a VPN so I can access Yandex Music, but if I have to, I will.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

NAT-T Ice posted:

So what are you supposed to do when something that Spotify clearly had before has just disappeared into the ether presumably because of some stupid licensing deal? what.cd is dead and I've never been one for maintaining all my music collection on disk myself, but apparently some intersection of Snegiri Music and what have you has wiped out a bunch of artists I liked from the former Soviet Union. I don't really want to deal with getting a VPN so I can access Yandex Music, but if I have to, I will.

Buy the music?

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

NAT-T Ice posted:

Soulseek.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Looks like whatever tiny deals various services had with Spotify are drying up and withering away/those services themselves are dying. Kind of a shame.

Aw well, I guess it's time to evangelize bandcamp whenever possible for indies so I can actually own albums digitally rather than being beholden to whatever stupid licensing aggreement was made last week.

Seems like it's now affecting poo poo outside my weird Russian/CIS music sphere though: for whatever reason gently caress Buttons' Street Horrrsing (their first album) isn't available anymore, but Slow Focus and Tarot Sport are.

Is there any good place to check the availability of an album across services short of installing every single store app?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I just got an add for 3 months of Spotify Premium for :10bux:. Those usually are just for new members, but this one is available as long as you didn't cancel Premium after 21 October. I think they had the same deal last year?
https://www.spotify.com/comeback/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mierenneuker posted:

I just got an add for 3 months of Spotify Premium for :10bux:. Those usually are just for new members, but this one is available as long as you didn't cancel Premium after 21 October. I think they had the same deal last year?
https://www.spotify.com/comeback/

I'm eyeing switching from Apple music, know if there's an ability to get the same deal for their family plan, but for $15? After signing back up do you see any option to upgrade cheaply?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
So is the Spotify family thing dead? I miss having Premium but don't really want to pay 10 bucks a month.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
No, I subscribe to premium for family. It's 14.99/mo, gives you 5 extra slots.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

cryme posted:

No, I subscribe to premium for family. It's 14.99/mo, gives you 5 extra slots.

I meant more the goon thing of signing up 5 people. But a lovely lady at my office added me to her plan for free.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Does anyone else have any issues with Spotify randomly deleting offline songs from their phone? I'll check my albums and find all but two of my songs are missing in some cases.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

plz dont pull out posted:

Does anyone else have any issues with Spotify randomly deleting offline songs from their phone? I'll check my albums and find all but two of my songs are missing in some cases.

It's happened to me once or twice, but usually it's all offline songs that it then redownloads.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Flaggy posted:

So is the Spotify family thing dead? I miss having Premium but don't really want to pay 10 bucks a month.

There are a couple of threads in SA Mart with people putting together family accounts. I'm looking for a couple of people if anyone is interested in joining.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808518

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I seem to see people refer to the web player more than the desktop client. Is there a specific reason for this other than maybe they're at work and their IT department won't install it or something? Am I missing anything using the desktop client over the web version? The latter seems to get more updates too that piss people off.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

me your dad posted:

I seem to see people refer to the web player more than the desktop client. Is there a specific reason for this other than maybe they're at work and their IT department won't install it or something? Am I missing anything using the desktop client over the web version? The latter seems to get more updates too that piss people off.

Personally, with microsoft outlook (ugh), chrome, and one or two design programs open, my computer starts to run like poo poo if i use the spotify client, especially if I have both InDesign and Photoshop open. It seems much easier on my system to have spotify running in a tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Does listening to stuff on Discovery Weekly or Daily Mixes affect future content on these lists? At some point Spotify decided I liked 10 minute long shoegazey metal songs and I've been getting more and more of them every week.

• Locked thread