Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

http://open.spotify.com/artist/0k17h0D3J5VfsdmQ1iZtE9

Pink Floyd is on Spotify now, although it seems to be subscriber only.

Cool. I jumped ship from MOG, where all Floyd was available.

Now they just need to bring Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath (Ozzy years) into the fold.

Edit I'm not seeing any Pink Floyd on the desktop client.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Been a while, so I thought I'd check: is there any way to delete radio stations yet?

Just checked - I can't find a way.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Is anyone's Pitchfork app acting up and not showing? All my other apps are working fine. This is browser Spotify btw.

Pitchfork within the desktop client is working fine, for what it's worth.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I got an update for the Spotify channel on my Roku 2 just now. I opened the channel, hoping for new features, and it promptly rebooted my Roku.

Does anyone know what the update contained?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm thankful to have never had that problem, but I hope this update fixed it for you.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 27, 2013

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm building a massive playlist for an upcoming beach trip. I can't be sure, but it seems the number of songs in the playlist fluctuates pretty often, as if songs are being removed from the catalog.

Assuming this is the case, will those songs appear back on my playlist automatically if they're added back in?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Yeah it's just another price paid for streaming. Stuff drops off Netflix all the time, resulting in "Recently Added" titles appearing which I watched two months prior.

I previously used MOG, and I didn't notice it with their service. But my usage didn't employ many massive playlists where it would be noticeable.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've got a playlist with 3,058 songs synced to my laptop. A couple hundred of them are imported from local files. I know Spotify has a sync limit of 3,333 songs. But do those imported songs count against that sync limit, since they are essentially already synced?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Have New Release listings been removed from the desktop client? All I get now is their useless 'Discover' page. "You listened to Quebec by Ween. Maybe you'd like Ween!"

I just want to see ALL the new releases. Not what Spotify recommends. Not what's just 'New and Popular' - all the new releases and reissues which were added to their catalog. Why is that something they wouldn't want to feature?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Spotify :downs:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

If it helps, the competition ain't so great either. I used to subscribe to MOG and they had plenty of problems too. Once Spotify brought out their Roku channel, I jumped ship, thinking Spotify would be more polished given their higher visibility in the market. Turns out they run an amateur operation too!

The two biggest recently done things that confound me as a user:

Removal of the total playlist time - why would they do this? Why remove something so useful and so unobtrusive? It's bizarre.

Replacing the 'What's New' page with the 'Discover' page - Thanks Spotify. I hated seeing new releases beyond the limited scope of what I had 'liked' in past listening. Now I have to go to Amazon or elsewhere to see new releases, and then search for them on Spotify. Insanity.

But again, having been on the other side of the fence, I know it's no better. I'd try Google's new service but I doubt they'll release a Roku channel and that's where I listen to a lot of music.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Is there a way to control the desktop client from the mini icon in the taskbar without opening the client? It's stupid. You can access player controls by right-clicking the icon, but it opens the full client window. I just want to right-click and change a song without interrupting what I'm working on.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks! I didn't know there were third party plugins. Are there any other notable ones?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

What the gently caress happened to the "New Music" tab?

New Music is a section for me (right now). They changed it a while ago to 'Discover', which was terrible. I saw lots of bitching on their feedback community. I had an update to the client a few weeks ago which brought back 'What's New'.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Newcomer to this thread!

Been using Spotify for quite a few years now, previously the free version with the ads ("Hi, this is Jonathan from Spotify!") and since the time restraints came into place (in the UK at least) I've been using Unlimited, which I'm generally fine with as it's probably saved me money. I don't really follow the community outside of the "Spotify Status" Twitter so I don't really know the criticisms in-depth. It's kind of become a significant part of my music intake so I just hope I don't become too jaded about it. :ohdear:

I've got some criticisms, but it doesn't bother me in the grand scheme. I have instant access to an incredible amount of music. I listen to music all day at work, frequently at home, and most times in the car. I came from MOG Primo service and they had their own faults as well. It was the MOG Roku channel which finally drove me away from that service. The Spotify Roku channel is nicer but still not without some problems.

I've built a massive +3k song playlist in Spotify so it's going to take a good service to draw me away from that.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Now they put me back with the 'Discover' tab :argh:

I learned you can type tag:new into the search box to bring up all additions to the catalog. It looks like no results were found but at the top it shows the albums.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Yeah the streaming services like to boast their numbers of songs, but a large mass is probably made up of karaoke and sound effect albums.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I try not to hit the Discover tab, because I don't want Spotify thinking people are using it. But I wanted to check my own recommendations and found this:

Yes. That makes perfect sense.

You listened to hippy country music and funk. How about some new wave!

loving useless.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I've actually had the discover tab throw some decent suggestions my way. Of course, I only know they're decent suggestions because I already knew and liked what it was suggesting - but spotify didn't have any way to know that.

I guess I don't see what the outrage is all about (not here specifically, but I've seen people furious about this all over the place)? Even if it doesn't work all that well for you, it doesn't seem like it's in the way to me.

I think most people are pissed that they replaced the 'New' tab with Discover. Had they pushed Discover alongside the New tab, it would be a much different opinion out there I guarantee.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I double click a track, and it plays. I double click another track, and it plays. Life is good.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

A dumb question probably, but are there any consequences to bringing a playlist back to Online mode from Offline?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Having nearly anything I could ever want to listen to, pretty much wherever I am? I would happily pay $25/month for what I'm getting out of the service. Don't tell that to Spotify though :ssh:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Does anyone know what bitrate comes through on the Roku channel?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Has the downloadable client been crashing for anyone else?

A few days ago I installed an EQ plugin, and it began crashing very frequently. I removed the .dll for the plugin, but it didn't reflect in the client that it had been removed. This morning I uninstalled the client and reinstalled but I'm still getting crashes.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I see an update is available as of 4:07 PM ET, 10/03/13. Has anyone downloaded it? Did it break the application again?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

So the latest update brought back total playlist time :toot:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Here's the app list I use:

Any Decent Music?
Highlights well-reviewed music from various sources. It's an okay app, but has some repeated content found elsewhere.

Classify
This is my most recently installed app. It's a guide to classical music. You can explore by era, theme, and all sorts of other criteria. I also use Jazzify, which is obviously its counterpart for jazz.

Hype Machine
Culls seemingly random and poorly categorized content from music blogs. I never use this and I don't know why I haven't uninstalled it.

Last.fm
I just use this to keep track of what I listen to for e-peen waving. Occasionally I'll check out their recommendations based on what I listen to, as they're pretty good.

KCRW Music Mine
Highlights eclectic picks from KCRW, a southern California radio station.

MusiXMatch
Lyric generator.

Pitchfork
Pretty good for finding reviews from the well known site of the same name.

Shuffler.fm
Like Hype Machine, this pulls in content from music blogs. I use it more than Hype Machine because there will be occasionally interesting picks.

TuneWiki
Another lyric server.

Tunigo
Was a stand-in while Spotify didn't have a new release listing. This app was bought by Spotify, and now mirrors the official 'Browse' tab. I need to remove this app.

Twitter #Music
Pretty good music finder from Twitter. Has selections from various levels of obscurity and fame.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

gently caress yeah. Now we need pre-Dio era Sabbath and the Beatles. The latter will likely never happen but it's nice to hope for.

Looks like they've begun adding them already. The first and second albums are on there now. The other albums will be released per-day I believe.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 11, 2013

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Friends Are Evil posted:

All of Black Sabbath's discography from the Ozzy era is on Spotify now.

Just thought you guys should know.

gently caress yes, thanks! Now there are really no gaping holes in the catalog for me. I own all the Beatles albums I would want so those can be added locally. Same with Tool. And AC/DC is one of my least favorite bands so that's not a hard hit.

Things will get interesting in the next few months with Beats Music coming out. I'm satisfied with Spotify, but they'll have to crank out new features if they want to stay ahead. Beats, who bought out MOG a while back, will be shutting down MOG in April. MOG users won't be able to transfer playlists to Beats so Spotify has a chance there to make a grab for audience. I'm not saying playlists can be transferred to Spotify, but maybe they can attract them in another way.

Beats will likely capture a large audience from their headphone sales. I imagine they'll be (if not already) bundling streaming plans with headphone purchases. I ride the train to work most days and it's just amazing how many pairs of their headphones you see on any given day. I'd wager many of them aren't aware of any streaming music options aside from Youtube. They will be soon.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

caiman posted:

Spotify newb here. Is there a way to check the bit rate of a song/album? I've got the premium version and the quality sounds very good, just wondering what the actual bit rate is.

Answers here: https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/faq/#!/article/What-bitrate-does-Spotify-use-for-streaming

quote:

Spotify uses 3 quality ratings for streaming, all in the Ogg Vorbis format.

~96 kbps
Normal quality on mobile.
~160 kbps
Desktop and web player standard quality.
High quality on mobile.
~320 kbps (only available to Premium subscribers)
Desktop high quality.
Extreme quality on mobile.

"Extreme"

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

het posted:

It's so disappointing that they're still clinging to integer bitrates for conveying quality; I understand why they do it, but it's really aggravating because it just persists stupid beliefs about lossy audio encoding

Care to elaborate on this?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

het posted:

Everyone gets stuck on these perceptions of bitrates from like 10 years ago where they always refer to Average Bitrate or Constant Bitrate when anyone doing this seriously should be using VBR profiles (and I assume spotify is doing so behind the scenes but "-q 3" is less meaningful to people than "~160kbps")

Don't get me wrong, I realize it's difficult to actually get the subtlety across, I'm just sick of talking to people who express mp3 encoding quality in terms of 128/160/192/256/320

Hush you!

I still have no idea what you're talking about but that's fine. As long as the number is bigger I am satisfied. What's better than 320? Will we see 460!?

I'd like to see Spotify introduce a feature that would let you see how big (file size) a playlist is if it's in offline mode. I suppose I can dig into my file system in Android once it's synched to my phone but I'd much rather know before hand. I guess I could also roughly calculate it based on its bitrate (eek!) and length.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 9, 2014

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

illcendiary posted:

I tried Beats Music for the seven day trial and man, their library function makes Spotify's lack of one so drat glaring.

What is the library function?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

illcendiary posted:

Basically, if I like a song or album by an artist, I can add the song or entire album to my "library" for easy access at a later date. Then I can just go to my library and sort by artist, album or song (like in any music player, basically). It makes it feel more like I have a collection of music versus Spotify, where I have to either create a single playlist for an album or access it under "starred" songs, both of which are massively cumbersome in my opinion.

Hmmm yeah I don't get how it's different. 99% of the time I shuffle through my gigantic playlist which is my 'music library' and personal radio station of sorts. When I see something I like, or something interesting I'll throw it into the playlist. I can sort and filter as needed.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Charlie Mopps posted:

The Spotify library is a piece of poo poo and no excuses can be made for it. Rdio's Collection feature does it so much better:

It has all your artists, albums and songs, you can remove things from here and you can see what albums you've got synced to your mobile. Spotify's playlist based method is just clunky compared to how Rdio does it. Spotify has been working on this same feature for the past 1,5 year and still hasnt managed to release it for some reason.

And Spotify is also great at removing things like view album covers from playlists, which was a helpful feature given the lack of a Collection like Rdio has. They said they were working on some 'cool new things' for their collection feature, and that's why they removed it, but that was in april 2013 so :lol:.

I'll preface this by saying I am no fanboy loyalist to Spotify. I'd jump ship the moment something better came along. I did that with MOG when Spotify came out because Spotify seemed to offer more.

That said, I still don't see a major difference in your screenshot and what Spotify offers. In my Playlist ("Collection") I can sort by artists. How is that different than what you posted? The album covers? Are they really that important?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Eight Is Legend posted:

You can't sort by artist on mobile.

:v:

me your dad fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 19, 2014

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Honestly what the gently caress were they thinking with this new update.

I haven't been pissed until now. For some stupid reason they removed the ability to shift-click multiple songs from the 'Top Songs' section of an artist page. I use that so often to grab poo poo into a playlist if I'm interested in checking out a band. Now you can't do that, and you can't even loving drag a single item from that list into a playlist.

Seriously what the gently caress why would they do this?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

scroogle nmaps posted:

I really do wonder what their developer culture is like.

I'm guessing it involves lots of drinking and crying. Reviews on Glassdoor are good though, so maybe they're all just delusional.

What's strange is that several of their developers frequent /r/Spotify and comment, so they are well aware of things.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

inSTAALed posted:

I pretty much exclusively star full albums to shuffle like a radio station of bands I like. I don't care if I have any of the songs memorized, I just like variety.

Same. Anything I like or am interested in checking out goes into a single gigantic playlist always set on shuffle. It's very rare for me to just play a whole album these days. It'll take me a while to hit any limit since I'm at 5,005 songs after a year and the additions come slowly now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

slowdave posted:

Sounds like you should unsubscribe from Spotify and sign up for some cognitive rehabilitation therapy instead because that's the weirdest claim I've read this year.

I dunno man. I just tried remembering 1,000 songs and I got to 999 and then hit a total wall. Dude may be onto something.

• Locked thread