Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
You can download it without using a proxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Well, the first backlash has arrived: an artist claiming the amount he gets paid isnt worth the trouble:

quote:

I’d Rather Be Raped By Pirate Bay Than Go With Spotify
Written by enigmax on August 13, 2009
Swedish artist and composer Magnus Uggla has launched a scathing attack on the owners of Spotify. After discovering that Sony BMG is a shareholder and after receiving virtually no payment from his music being played there, he has withdrawn his tracks from the service declaring, “I’d rather be raped by The Pirate Bay.”

For many years now the media has been filled with the industry line that the operators of The Pirate Bay are little more than thieves, handing out other people’s content without ensuring creators get paid. Few have been more vocal than the music industry, who time and again distill the situation down to a simple, easily palatable ‘truth’ – The Pirate Bay is evil because the artists don’t get paid.

But where are the alternatives? If someone created a service to compete with pirates, everything could improve. Sites like The Pirate Bay would cease to exist and users would flood to legal services where not only could they avoid being sued, but the artists would get paid too.

It seems that just about everyone who has tried it absolutely loves Spotify. It has in excess of 3.5 million tracks available, all for free (if you chose that option), all funded by advertising. And of course, for those wishing to champion the morality of paying artists, this is dealt with too. This week it was revealed that the major labels all have fingers in the Spotify pie – surely paying the artists would be a foregone conclusion?

Not according to Swedish noble, artist and composer Magnus Uggla, who has launched a scathing attack on the fledgling streaming service, branding it as dishonest.

Writing on his blog he says that Spotify is a really incredible, fantastic service which offers everything – for free too. But, he writes, it’s too good to be true. Like thousands of other artists, Uggla’s work is available via Spotify and, due to involvement of the major labels and a lack of involvement from the local torrent site operators, he of course expects to get paid a reasonable amount. Not so.

Uggla says that when he received his first earnings statement from Spotify it became apparent that he “earned as much in six months as a BUSKER could earn in a day.” Ouch.

Understandably upset, Uggla raised the issue in a long discussion with Sony boss Hasse Breitholtz but came away feeling that he should trust in the man and the service.

However, Uggla was as surprised as most people when he learned last week that the major labels, including Sony, all have a stake in Spotify. A mere 30,000 kroner ($4,000) investment bought the company 5.8% of the service now valued at around 1.8 billion kroner ($251m).

Referring to the valuation, Uggla questions how this company can do so well – and comes to the conclusion that it’s at the artist’s expense. He says that Sony Music, after “suing the poo poo out of The Pirate Bay” is acting just like them by not paying the artists.

“I would rather be raped by Pirate Bay than by Hasse Breitholtz and Sony Music and will remove all of my songs from Spotify pending an honest service,” he says.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

yeah, i would love to use this, but they wont even allow me to give them money for the premium account because i live in the Netherlands. Why wont you take my money damnit! :(

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Iphone update with support for background listening has been released.

While i love Spotify, they really need to work some more on the UI. I got a shitload of playlists and it's getting a bit unorganized. It would help if, for example, it would be possible to create maps in which to place playlists, like Itunes supports.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Det_no posted:

Doesn't make sense to me, at all. I'd imagine the money they'll lose on quitters no longer listening to ads will not be recovered by people actually signing up for premium accounts (who have no ads either so there goes that) AND the five listens per song makes it nearly worthless for the free users and the artists. Not to mention that even if you DO pay they also remove songs here and there sometimes.

I think they are both trying to fool themselves when it comes to how many users this will affect and vastly overestimating the number of people that would sign up for the service.
I wouldnt be surprised if they actually lose money on the free users. The whole idea of free is going to turn into a taste of what you can get, not something to use indefinitely. Cant say i blame them, as people should stop being such cheapasses and just pay the few pounds/euros/dollars it costs a month.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

One thing i really do not like about spotify is how a lot of songs which are longer than 10 minutes are blocked by the label/artist. Wanted to listen to some Explosions in the Sky and 3 out of 5 albums miss one song because of its length. :argh:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Another Person posted:

Am I the only one still using Spotify now then? I am on the Unlimited deal for the time being because I am lazy.
No, have had unlimited for months now. It owns, especially when used mobile. I dont get why people object so much against paying 5 dollar/euro/mooncurrency for it. I had a lunch today that was more expensive than that and way less enjoyable.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

I just signed up in the US. Anyone care to post some dope playlists?
http://sharemyplaylists.com/ for loads of playlists

http://www.bbcify.co.uk/ - playlists based on what the different BBC radio shows play

http://www.bbcify.co.uk/lastify/ - playlist based on your last.fm recommendations

http://spotibot.com/playlist/ - give it an artist and it makes a playlist based on it's related artists on last.fm

http://www.biblify.com/ - "biblify searches the web every night for the latest album reviews from the greatest sites (including The Guardian, NME, Pitchfork, Uncut, Drowned In Sound, The Fly and the BBC), works out the average score and provides links to the album on Spotify."

http://www.spotifyclassical.com/ - classical music on spotify

and two applications:

http://cheese.freshmeat.se/index.php - fills a playlist automatically with songs which are alike to the ones you listen. Requires to either have the website up or use a small desktop application.

http://www.equalify.me/ - an equalizer (still in beta).

9-Volt Assault fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 14, 2011

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Harminoff posted:

I'd really like to know the reasons they block specific songs. For example, the entire Slim Shady lp is available except for Guilty Conscience.
Get used to that. A lot of songs over 10 minutes are also blocked for some reason. No clue why the label/artist would do that, but yeah, its pretty retarded. But we're talking about record labels, so its to be expected that they do stupid stuff. :downs:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

keyframe posted:

Is there a proxy that works with the US spotify? hotspot shield is not working :(

edit: Can someone please tell me this:

If I get my friend in states to buy a premium account to me can I use it it canada just fine without jumping through hoops thanks to that "unlimited travel" thing?
Im pretty sure that works, yes. Although i think that one of your US friends has to login every once in a while.

*edit* or not according to their site.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Snagged this one. I'm interested to see how this compared to Google Music Beta.
They're not really comparable, as google music only plays your own music.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Three articles with a bunch of tips about Spotify.

http://pansentient.com/2011/02/ten-top-spotify-tips/
http://pansentient.com/2011/05/another-ten-top-spotify-tips/
http://pansentient.com/2011/07/ten-more-top-spotify-tips

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Easier sharing of songs/playlists?
Slightly larger library?
Inclusion of local files?

I'm kind of lke you, mostly baffled at the amount of praise Spotify gets. Maybe a couple of years ago I could see it, but now I just don't get it. I feel like I'm missing something key, but it's not revealing itself.
A lot of praise for Spotify problaby comes from European users, where we dont have access to comparable services like Pandora or Rdio. It's pretty unique in its kind here.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Flushmonkii posted:

I noticed that a Pandoraesque "artist radio" feature is available to US residents now. I'm liking it, has anyone seen if they have other type or radio features like by genre?
In Europe we have radio by genre and/or decade, so i guess its disabled in America. It isnt that great to be honest, especially not compared to Pandora.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Drifter287 posted:

Wish granted?
Oh gently caress yes. Its not perfect yet (used it this morning and between song switches it would play a random song of the last opened playlist for a second or two), but compared to the build-in radio it's such an improvement.

9-Volt Assault fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 19, 2011

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Yeah, it now has facebook integration.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Spotify is a better use of :10bux: than pretty much anything i can think of.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Does spotify allow account sharing within the same household on the unlimited or premium versions? I don't think I could justify getting both my wife and I a subscription, but if we could share one and use it at the same time we probably would. The free version stops playback on one machine if another starts playing with the same account; do the pay versions do likewise?
The desktop version stops playing when you start the mobile version, so i would guess the same would be true for two desktop accounts.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

They finally upgraded the radio:

quote:

Discover the new Spotify Radio
December 9, 2011, 04:07
Get ready for an amazing radio experience. Unlimited stations, unlimited skips – that’s the new Spotify Radio.

You can be the DJ and skip between stations and tracks, or choose a station and just go with the flow. If you like what you hear, you can save the song to a playlist or play it again on demand.

To get started
Starting a radio station is easy. Click “Start Artist Radio” at the top of any artist page or just drag a track to “Radio” in the left sidebar. Spotify will make a radio station of similar music. Then sit back. Or dance about. Your station will keep playing music based on your initial choice, it’s endless. And there’s no limit to the number of stations you can create.

A unique radio experience
Thanks to our all-new intelligent recommendation engine and multi-million track library, Spotify Radio is a music discovery experience without equal.

Unlimited skips
Don’t like a track? Skip it. You can skip as many times as you like. It’s your radio station.

We’ll be starting to roll out this brand new radio along with Spotify Apps in the next few days. Can’t wait? Then we have a preview version available for you here.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I'm testing the new radio right now but they have to tweak it a bit. Made a station based on The Mama's & The Papa's - California Dreaming, but it gave me certain songs multiple times within an hour of listening, like Bowie's Life on Mars, Simon & Garfunkels Sound of Silence and the Beach Boys' God Only Knows. Skipping through the songs gives me actually quite a limited selection of songs it just repeats.

Maybe it's because i made the station based on one song instead of an artist, but at the moment its perhaps an improvement over their earlier radio, but in no way a replacement of Pandora. But it's still in beta, so i hope they'll improve it before the official release.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Im unable to hear any difference between the high quality streaming Spotify offers and LAME v0-encoded mp3's. Guess i just have lovely ears. :shobon:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

het posted:

What they really need (and I'm guessing someone is probably working on this as a Spotify App because it's pretty obvious) is something akin to turntable.fm, I would kill for that.
I think the Soundrop app is supposed to become that.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

They were a bit too happy with showing every single song i listen to on my facebook and my friends' wall. I really do not like apps or sites to spam my facebook, no matter how much they try to push it.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I, too, hate paying for services i want to use.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I have a Nokia phone and have the same problem with Spotify not removing tracks that i've deleted from my phone. Only resetting the app seems to fix it, but you lose any offline playlists you had synced.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

My desktop spotify keeps redownloading a bunch of songs i've made available offline every time i start the program. And a small number of songs simply refuse to be downloaded, but can be streamed just fine. :psyduck:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Reason posted:

Has anyone been logging in to find a bunch of weird songs added to their spotify playlists? I'm wondering if Spotify is doing this or someone else is adding them.
You should be able to see who added them.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Reason posted:

Where do I look to see who is adding songs to my starred stuff? I even went so far as to change my password. So anyone can just add stuff to my starred songs?

VVV -- Nope. I've got no collaborative playlists and nothing is listed in my inbox as having been sent any songs. I guess to clarify. None of this music was in any of my playlists, just listed as in my starred music as if I'd favorited it.
Oh, your starred items? You cant see who added it because it should be only you. Are you sure you arent just misclicking things?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

13 new apps have been released today:

quote:

Today we’re excited to present the latest, greatest batch of hot new apps. A total of 13 fantastic apps, brought to you from music labels including Universal, Sony, Warner, EMI, LEGACY, Def Jam, Domino, Matador, PIAS and X5.

Want to check out complete album booklets? Personalise playlists based on your Facebook likes? Delve more deeply into the history of legendary artists? Listen to the most popular songs being talked about on Twitter? All this and much, much more is coming to Spotify…

New apps include:

The Complete Collection: Browse rich images, lyrics, and liner notes to learn about iconic artists while listening to their music. Always wanted to know who wrote that Eminem song? Looking for the producer of your favourite beat? Curious who took those amazing Lady Gaga photos? Use The Complete Collection to immerse yourself in the music history while listening to legends you love!

Tweetvine: TweetVine is a perfectly formed little app that listens to all the tweets on Twitter with the hashtag #NowPlaying and creates charts from the results!

Classify: Classify opens the doors to the world of classical music. Browse by composers, eras, moods, instruments or genres. Our vast library of classical music is now intelligently organised for your listening pleasure.

The Legacy Of: A visual feast. Dig deeper into some of the world’s most acclaimed artists with hi-res photos, curated playlists, handpicked albums, biographies and more.

Filtr: Filtr is a playlist app, which allows you to build playlists based on the music tastes of your Facebook friends, people who’ve accepted invitations to Facebook events, music genres, your Spotify playlists and favourite artists. On top of generating awesome playlists, Filtr also recommends existing and live updated editorial playlists based on what you like.

Def Jam: For over 26 years, Def Jam Recordings has shaped culture and lifestyles by creating the very best in hip-hop, rap, R&B, and pop music. Def Jam’s new app enables an entirely new way to make your lives better through new experiences in music discovery and curation.

Domino: The Domino app is a discovery and listening destination for fans of Domino artists, the Domino label and the larger independent music community.

Warner Sound: Warner Sound features songs, albums, and playlists from Warner Music Group’s outstanding roster of artists including Green Day, Bruno Mars, Linkin Park, and Cee Lo Green, hot and emerging artists like Wiz Khalifa, Ed Sheeran, Kimbra, Birdy, and Fun., as well as legendary acts like The Doors, Grateful Dead, and Aretha Franklin.

Hot or not: Hot or not? You decide. Cast your vote on one of the two songs in the battle, either based on what you think is the most popular or what you wish to make popular. You’ll be rewarded with points and can earn badges as well as track your progress. Your voting will also contribute to the ‘Taste Maker’ top list based on users with the highest points score.

Digster: Digster has fresh playlists updated weekly. You can browse playlists by category, find playlists made by artists and match Digster playlists to your listening history and Facebook likes.

[PIAS]: The [PIAS] app helps music lovers discover the very best new albums and expertly curated playlists. Updated weekly, users can now rely on trusted voices to introduce and recommend great music to them, both past and present.

Matador: Matador’s app gives you the ultimate experience in new releases, tour dates, playlists and more. As well as keeping you clued up on Matador’s latest releases and tour dates, you can browse through the history of releases from Matador since 1992 - an interactive guide to music from the New York indie label.

The apps will be rolled out today – you can find them, along with the rest of our apps, in the App Finder.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Its probably a local thing. The Dutch Spotify still has that album.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I hate it so much that all the alternatives arent available in Europe. I want to give the record industry money but they wont take it. :argh:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Look at that, an Ipad app: http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/02/its-finally-here-spotify-launches-its-long-awaited-ipad-app/

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Is the Android beta version really missing the option to play your own mp3 files? :psyduck:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

But still no support for local files it seems? Even the Symbian version supported local mp3 files.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

€10 is what i pay for 4 beers in the pub, so its not like its that expensive.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Quandary posted:

If I add my local files to spotify on my PC is there any way I can get spotify to upload them and allow me to play them on my other computer/phone/whatever?
No.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

One thing i still really miss is album shuffle.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How often do your top artists/songs get updated? Because my top artist and all my top songs have been Grimes for like forever and I'm pretty sure I dont listen to her *that* much.
I think it only counts plays from the actual artist/album pages. So playlists dont count. My top pages are completely wrong as well.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Spotify is not doing too well, despite increasing subscriber numbers: http://www.businessinsider.com/spotify-revenue-2012-10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

New changes coming early next year: http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/6/3736018/spotify-debuts-new-discovery-engine-collection-and-follow-which-lets

quote:

Some examples of content boxes on the new Discover page are "You listen to David Guetta and Skrillex. You might like Avicii," and "Since you follow The Knife, we recommend Deep Cuts for your collection." The recommendation engine works based on music you've listened to in the past, as well as based on artists you follow. There also appears to be a recommendation engine for showing you artists that are touring near you.

quote:

Spotify's new Collection feature is a new section in its app that lets you keep your music in one place, instead of in a variety of playlists in a sidebar like before. [...] A fundamental behavior on Spotify is that people listen to whole albums. A third of all playlists on Spotify are just albums people have saved. It was clear people want to listen to albums and wanted an easy way to save them, so for us [Collection view] is just about making it easier for users to save music the way they wanted.

quote:

Spotify also announced Follow, a new section in its app that lets you follow friends, celebrities like Shakira and Ashton Kutcher, Barack Obama, and others. Once you follow some people, the music they're listening to and playlists they're creating populate your Discovery feed.

• Locked thread