Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is there somewhere that keeps track of things coming and going from Spotify?

I just went to listen to Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted, and it's totally gone :(

I know it used to be up, and they've still got two other Pavement albums up but not that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Is there somewhere that keeps track of things coming and going from Spotify?

I just went to listen to Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted, and it's totally gone :(

I know it used to be up, and they've still got two other Pavement albums up but not that one.

Just following up to this. Slanted and Enchanted is finally back on there today, after being gone for nearly a month. Along with 5 or 6 more Pavement albums. Have no idea what was up with that, given all of their stuff is on Matador.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't know what the hell happened with Pink Floyd.

Their discography was absolutely on there yesterday. I listened to Meddle and Wish You Were Here in my car while running my errands.

Then today, they're gone on both the desktop and the mobile app.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
...don't click shuffle? It will play playlist songs in order unless you specifically hit shuffle.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
You don't even have to hit the button. If you just tap on the album cover of what you're currently listening to it will show that same menu.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
This is probably a label issue, but it's taking for-loving-ever to get new albums on Spotify lately. I've been waiting on the new National and Vampire Weekend albums for a week.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Eegah posted:

These both just showed up.

They went up a few days after I posted that. The new Queens of the Stone Age album, on the other hand, went up the second it came out.

It's just a label issue I guess. I almost understand the strategy.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ihmemies posted:

So how Discover is supposed to work anyways? I've been listening to hundreds of tracks from Iron Maiden and Spotify keeps on recommending trance? :(

They've since fixed it, and I wished I took a screenshot, but Discover used to have a little block telling me "Hey, you listened to 2 CHAINZ. You might like Tity Boi aka 2 CHAINZ"

Captioned with a picture of Lil Wayne.

That's pretty much Discover in a nutshell.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The new iOS app is terrible. People have brought up the tiny buttons already, but it takes for loving ever to load the album art / info for a new song.

This is really only a big deal in play offline playlists, because the song will start playing ~5 seconds before the app visually indicates a new song has started. If you try to skip the song in that window the app freaks out.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Eegah posted:

I mean look at this poo poo

When you hit the (...) button it brings that thing up. To go to the artist page you have to scroll to the bottom of the list. But the whole list could fit on the screen without scrolling so I guess they did this to make room for... The blue-black gradient at the top? Why did they do this

My guess is that these buttons are less moronic looking on an iPad? I really have no idea. I have tiny, girlish hands and even I'm struggling to hit the right button to shuffle or pull up artist information.

They 100% fixed something that wasn't broken by breaking it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The visual lag when playing an offline playlist is brutal for when I'm working out. The new app has also hosed up the ability to control pause / play / skip from the iOS control panel.

Here's an example from last night.

For almost 30 seconds, this is what the in-app display showed:

Here is what the iOS control panel displayed:

Here is the song that was actually playing that entire time:

http://youtu.be/psB0cidB5bg

As you can tell, that isn't either of those songs.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Really disappointed that they didn't mention the lag in the iOS version at all.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't understand why collections, "starred" or "saved" music is such a big deal, so count me in that number.

I have a number of playlists dedicated to certain artists or genres. If I want to listen to a specific album I just... search for it.

It's not like I'm ever just shuffling through ALL of the music I listen to, that would be really jarring to jump from like a KISS song to Miles Davis.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

queertea posted:

Search functionality, which should have never been removed in the first place, will be back in the next version of the client. Some people have it already.
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-Windows/Feedback-Needed-Filtering-your-Playlists/td-p/1135956

Thank gently caress. This basically rendered the desktop version of Spotify useless for me. I tend to make huge playlists / save a lot of songs and then ctrl+f to filter to the stuff I want to listen to at the moment.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Malcolm XML posted:

imo this green sucks

bring on apple music

the green is great you tasteless gently caress

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Spotify has also removed artists for manipulating the system in the past. There was some band that has a 1 second silent song that they told their fans to stream overnight, and then were punished for doing that.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If anything it would cause Spotify to increase the amount of time you have to listen to a track for it to register as a stream, thus decreasing revenue access the board for artists.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Skeezy posted:

AC/DC is putting up their albums on Spotify, Rdio, and Apple Music starting today. I don't think any of their stuff is up yet but we'll see how true it is. http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/29/8865187/ac-dc-streaming-spotify-rdio-apple-music

Edit. It's true, the albums are up already. That's awesome.

gently caress yeah, finally. Between this and The Chronic going up on Apple Music, there aren't many big name white whales left. The Beatles, who I imagine will be holdouts for years to come.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Skeezy posted:

Can I stream Beatles stuff with Apple Music? Have they said anything about that or what.

Nope; if you already have the albums in iTunes you'll likely be able to pull it up but it won't be there for streaming.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/8/8745963/the-beatles-apple-music

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I have nearly 500 saved tracks by Elvis Presley alone. 10,000 total isn't as crazy as it seems.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

What? 500 Elvis songs saved is even crazier than it seems

The man recorded a lot of soundtracks to terrible movies that I find endearing for whatever reason. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Prince actually pulled all of his music off Spotify and put it exclusively on Tidal. :banjo:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My Discover playlist recommended a song called "Ghost With a Boner", which makes it an unmitigated success as I have dramatically increased my knowledge of songs called "Ghost with a Boner".

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Eight Is Legend posted:

For some reason, the iOS app decided to remove all my saved albums. I can still see them in the OS X app, however.

I've tried logging out and in again, no dice - anyone else experienced this?

I did. Delete the app and re-install, that worked for me.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's just strange to me, like is the business model of Tidal / Apple Music that much better?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

me your dad posted:

I hadn't even heard of that thing and had to Google it. Hilarious. Either way I'm happy to be able to listen to After the Gold Rush this morning :cool:

It looks like Everybody Knows This is Nowhere is missing, which is a shame.

That album is credited to Neil Young & Crazy Horse. That album and a handful of others (Rust Never Sleeps, Live Rust, Ragged Glory, etc.) are under a separate artist page on Spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/1jVuLlkfKibBT0hXDnzQjp

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

NAT-T Ice posted:

So what are you supposed to do when something that Spotify clearly had before has just disappeared into the ether presumably because of some stupid licensing deal? what.cd is dead and I've never been one for maintaining all my music collection on disk myself, but apparently some intersection of Snegiri Music and what have you has wiped out a bunch of artists I liked from the former Soviet Union. I don't really want to deal with getting a VPN so I can access Yandex Music, but if I have to, I will.

Buy the music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

cebrail posted:

On my phone I'm randomly getting Genius.com lyrics in place of the album cover, interspersed with random facts about the song

They've had this on iOS for awhile. It's only on certain songs.

• Locked thread