Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I was under the impression they removed that five times limit when they chopped the amount of free music you can listen to on a weekly basis in half. Or maybe they just reset the limits whenever your account switches between free-paid and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You can also listen to an unlimited amount of music on a tablet or phone with a free account now. You still get ads every couple of songs and mobile devices can only shuffle playlists, but it's still pretty drat nice. Especially since most countries with Spotify don't (didn't?) have a Free account with unlimited listening like the US has.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It's a bit embarrassing that someone whipped that up and there's still no support for playing FLAC when it comes to local files.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

me your dad posted:

I dunno man. I just tried remembering 1,000 songs and I got to 999 and then hit a total wall. Dude may be onto something.

You forgot The Safety Dance, there's always room in your noggin for The Safety Dance.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Apparently there is a limit of 10.000 songs for a single playlist and there's no error message whatsoever that you've reached it. You just have to think "wow, exactly ten thousand songs, what are the odds" and then notice that it's not been adding more songs. I had to create a "Album Dump 2016" playlist (named such because it'll take until then for me to actually start listening to it... perhaps)

I guess that also explains the limit for Your Music.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think Canada is the next country they're launching in. It would certainly make sense, now that they've got most of Europe and the Americas covered.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I don't think I have the latest update to Spotify yet, but I am amazed that they're still pretending most of the Edit menu functions are supposed to do something. I don't know how you gently caress up basic things like copy, paste and select all but they've found a way.

Also: The lack of FLAC support for local files. It's not some obscure format at this point and it can't be that hard to be implement.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

My biggest complaint about the latest version(s) of Spotify is when you copy a whole bunch of albums from an existing playlist to new one it will sort them in a completely nonsensical order. It's not the order that they were in when I selected them, not alphabetical, not by album, not by length and not by date added. It would almost be random if it didn't have the habit of grouping songs of from an album together, but it never does this to entire albums. Sorting by album will also not order them by proper track numbers.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Huh, that actually somewhat works. Thanks for the tip.

So I guess now my biggest complaint is that when selecting songs in a playlist for deletion with shift+arrow keys it doesn't actually delete all the songs unless I remove them a second time.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Reading this thread makes me glad that 90% of the music I listen to is stuff I haven't heard before, so I don't care much about rating stuff beyond starring occasional songs.

The downside is that I've got two maxed playlists of new stuff which translates to about two months of non-stop music #firstworldproblems

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Free account.

So dumb. It's fine if you do it with bonus tracks, but not when it's a (ten minute!) song that is clearly an essential part of the album.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 6, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

is there any way to see the like "new album alert" poo poo on ios? alerts section just has like, messages people have sent me

There is an option for push notifications for it, but no dropdown section/button like the client. The new album alerts are crap anyway, because if multiple albums get added they'll just mention a single album by name. Not very useful if it's an artist you recently discovered or one that has a huge amount of vocal-less albums.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 19, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I believe Your Music has a limit of 10.000 songs, just like regular playlists have. There have been people in this thread who have said they have way more than 10.000 Starred songs.

If you put those two together then it's a simple case of them not being able to convert those Starred playlists when they introduced Your Music, not without pissing off hardcore Spotify users. They had to keep it around.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

who even remembers more than 10000 songs lol amirite

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It's hard to switch instantly when you mostly use it to discover music and you have a backlog of two maxed out playlists.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

That may depend on you region/country. Mine offers a decent mixture. I don't know if it's tuned to your preferences, because mine had Deep Focus and 88 Keys from the main Spotify account and both of those have music I listen to a lot. I was surprised I wasn't subscribed to the second one yet (it's minimal/piano-heavy alternative music).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I have yet to get the discover weekly playlist. Dammit Spotify, I know I ain't paying you but could you bump my spot up already?!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Clearly their playlist generator has problems parsing the sheer amount of gabber, schlager and symphonic metal we are feeding it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Yes, it popped up for me in the past 24 hours. It also should be in the main playlist directory, where it dumps all the new playlists you follow.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

cebrail posted:

Can't wait for Marshmallow permissions. iOS already has some kind of case-by-case permission functionality iirc?

Yeah, an app has to ask when it wants to use location services (GPS), your photo album, your camera and such. I don't think the current iteration of the iOS app has ever asked for any of those. It knows what country I am from but I assume that's because it's tied to my Spotify account.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Not as far as I know. Following an artist on Spotify is not much help either, since it frequently won't notify you about a new release. Or an artist will have multiple new releases and it will just tell you the title of one of them. Good luck finding out what the other thing was! It's really a mess with the way albums come and go, albums being released on multiple labels or the new release just being a remastered version of the album.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

That's cool. It would be awesome if there was some way to integrate that directly into Spotify... if only there was a way!

On a less sarcastic note, I like how my Discover Weekly playlist has adapted to the genres I've been listening to in the past couple of weeks. I think I'm going to start saving a copy of each one to a playlist so I can look back and see the changes in my listening habits over time.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I was one of the first to discover Major Lazer...... in 2013*. You know, you could have just told me I have no noteworthy discoveries. No need for pity results :colbert:

*Pon de Floor and their first album were released in 2009.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think the latest update just broke the buttons in the top-right of the screen :thumbsup:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

me your dad posted:

Which buttons?

Upgrade, new album, notifications, inbox, profile, menu. Not minimize, windowed and exit, those still work.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Might be a Windows 8.1 thing then. Either way, hope it'll be fixed in the next update.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It also gives you a custom playlist at the end (Play It Forward). No idea how it's generated, it wasn't as great as Discovery Weekly for me.

I was pleasantly surprised by their current 3-for-1 deal. They've done those in previous years but those were only available to people who never subscribed to premium (something they didn't even mention until the small print). This year it's available if you weren't subscribed before November.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 11, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Hey Spotify, stop reseting the "hide unplayable songs" toggle. I like knowing when a song is no longer available.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Hmm, I might have to activate my Apple Music trial to listen to this Apple music.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It's pretty funny seeing the list of most popular songs on their artist profile and all of them being <1000. Hah, that will not last long.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 24, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Ringo should have hired a botnet to push Don't Pass Me By to the top.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

They do have Daydreaming on there, so perhaps it's just a matter of time.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I can live with the removal if they actually improve notifications so they (A) actually notify you of every new release by an artist you follow instead of occasionally telling you, and (B) notify you of every individual release instead of "release X by artist Y is now available as well as two new other things, have fun finding out which!".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I don't now if it shows up for premium customers (it probably does), but here's a screenshot taken after I clicked on one of the icons.

It links to an external store/site, which I imagine is different for every artist. It's not just albums, it'll also show shirts and other merch. Not that big of a deal.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Rick's Cleaners is my favorite steaming service.

Joking aside, I am currently trying a two month trial for Google Play (it was a PayPal promo a while back) and their catalogues are really similar. I tried to recreate a playlist with 60 different artists and it had everything outside of two songs (one did have a slightly different version instead). They are definite differences between the two, but I think neither is far worse than the other. Both have various methods of music discovery, but I'm not really capable of making a solid compatison between both services (I like Google's radio feature, but I have never bothered with Spotify's). A lot comes down to personal preference (and in my case I've been using Spotify so long that migrating would be a bitch).

Spotify can be used free (with advertising every 15 minutes, you can only shuffle playlists on mobile) and they frequently have deals. 0.99 cents for 3 months is apparently something they have for new users sometimes.

Google Play has no free membership, but there is a one month free trial. Perhaps there are more occasional two month deals, so you could try looking around.

So yeah, I'm going to take the easy way out and say you should try both of them.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 15, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I've only tried the mobile app of Google Play and it might have less features, but on a whole it seems that Spotify has a stronger social aspect. Collaborative playlists, the ability to see someone's profile and their public playlists, sharing songs directly with other users, etcetera. You can also follow artists on Spotify and be notified of new releases (although the notifications are inconsistent and need improvement). I see no such thing on Google Play.

Google Play seems fine if you mainly use a radio function or want listen to a specific song/album. If you want to build big playlists with a huge variety of artists, then Spotify might be better.

Again, I've been using Spotify for years so I'm firmly entrenched with it. I'm not the most biased fellow on this subject.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 15, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Seems they rolled out a new feature on the desktop app. Scrolling down to the bottom of a playlist will give you song suggestions with the option to refresh them.

It doesn't appear for all my playlists. I did create a temporary playlist just featuring a compilation album half a day ago and it has the feature active, so it's not just a matter of time.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 20, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I remember once reading that their shuffle function wasn't entirely random since it was biased/weighted against playing the same artist. It became like that since people complained that true random wasn't random enough (basically confirmation bias). In my own experience that doesn't seem to be the case these days since I recently had a 300+ song playlist with about 240 different artists (rough guess) and it managed to play multiple songs by a single artist from one album in close proximity.

Maybe I was the victim of confirmation bias there?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 24, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It's essentially a replacement for the old feature where you could "star" songs. The advantage is that it's easier to sort by artist and album. The disadvantage is that there is a 10.000 song limit.

It's pretty half-assed, making it a perfect fit for the desktop app!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You were able to star songs and it would automatically add to a list of starred songs with no song limit. It was essentially a straight-forward list of favorites.

The way you use Your Music is up to you. You could use it a selection of favorites, you could use it as "listen to this later" playlist. The main advantage over a regular playlist is that it's more convenient to sort by artist and album.

I don't use the feature, for a variety of personal reasons (90% I listen to is "new" music, no local files, I enjoy making playlists).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 23, 2016

• Locked thread