Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ascheapaschewinggum
May 27, 2010

i hate myself and want to zizek
I was thinking about this service earlier.

Going by the pay-per-play figures that Holy Roar claim (£0.06p, which is the highest estimate I've heard), if you listened to a playlist of songs by the same artist for an entire year solid without pausing they'd earn about £79. That's 8675 hours of solid music. Less money when you factor in the advert time.

I'm disabling last.fm, leaving mine on mute playing a few songs from labels I like on repeat and I hope the £6-7 a month I generate by playing their music 24/7 pays for three copies of an album to be pressed or something. Sort of like Folding@Home for independent music.

It's amazing how little money reaches the labels. There are bands on here I've spent more money buying drinks for than I would have generated if I listened to them exclusively on Spotify. It'd take three or four years for me to generate the same revenue on Spotify as I would by buying a single disc, and that's bands I listen to quite a lot.

I suppose it's different for major labels but I assumed a lot more advertising money reached the artists than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread