Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It seems like they just arbitrarily replaced starring songs with what amounts to the same thing with the Songs playlist. It's great that you can add stuff to it from the discover menu now and all, that was really stupid that you couldn't before, but why replace starring songs with literally the exact same thing? :psyduck: Mostly it's just annoying because that was my big unsorted playlist and now I'll have two unless I just ignore the slightly more convenient option. I don't get this change.

edit: At least now when you leave the Discover page it doesn't reload every time you come back.

edit 2: nevermind, yes it does if you aren't leaving your own playlists :v:

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You mean the Songs playlist that replaces Starred (Starred is now just a regular playlist, it doesn't go away if that's what you mean)? Maybe I'm blind but I don't see a way to add a playlist to another without going in and adding each song one by one. Which is less than ideal if you have several thousand songs in that playlist like I do. :sigh:

edit: I feel like I'm making this out to be a huge deal, but it's not. It's just a minor inconvenience and doesn't make much sense.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 11, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah I don't get why they took starring out. I used my starred list mostly for the car where I want a string of "stuff I like" for forever.

I mean you can still add thing to the playlist, but it's just not the same.

That's what's so weird, the Songs playlist is functionally identical to the way starring stuff used to work. Why replace what was there with something functionally identical? :iiam: Hell, it's actually a little worse since it was easier to tell when you had a song starred than what's there now.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 11, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

While I hate the new look, I don't really care about starred tracks and collections. Am I the only one who just goes directly to artist pages?

Sure, if I've never heard the artist before. But then I add the songs I like to a playlist because searching for the artist every time is silly.

Blast Fantasto posted:

It's not like I'm ever just shuffling through ALL of the music I listen to, that would be really jarring to jump from like a KISS song to Miles Davis.

I do actually do just that so it's not like nobody does. I don't find going from one genre to another to be jarring.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Some people like variety. You don't have to remember every note to like a song.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

Where? I don't see it. :(

Next to the big green PLAY button at the top.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That or they haven't pushed this update to Mac yet. I'm on Windows.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spotify stops playing whenever I launch TF2. I have no clue why.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samopsa posted:

Go check your communication options in windows (control panel -> Sound -> Communications tab). There are some options to dim all sounds except the program you use for voice communication; as TF2 uses voice chat by default windows sees it as something like Skype or something.

I have voice chat turned off and Skype/mumble have never interfered with it. It only started recently. Kinda weird but not a huge deal I guess.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Junk that no one listens to? That's me.

I'm the same. I like having access to a bunch of stuff I've never even heard of before. Obviously that would still happen in Amazon's service, but it wouldn't be as frequent. The discover feature is kinda garbage sometimes but I still like having it for when it actually does send cool stuff your way.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I use that and Pandora as well sometimes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's also annoying when Spotify fills it with artists you already have in your library.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Didn't Spotify start outside of the US and then move over here in like 2011? So Spotify.

Spotify is a Swedish company. It isn't available everywhere, even in Europe though from what I understand.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dexter6 posted:

I have a bunch of saved albums and artists. When I try to play an album or artist in the iPhone app, it randomly shuffles them. Even if I tap a song it will go to a random song from that list, not the next one.

I feel like this only started recently; I've been using Spotify for a while.

Anyone else having this problem?

I think you can only do shuffle play on phones? It's always done that for me, anyway. The dumbest thing is when you want to listen to a playlist with less than 20ish songs, then Spotify just adds poo poo of it's own accord. Plus you can't listen to the stuff from Your Music and sometimes it hiccups when your connection fluctuates and stops for minutes at a time unless you just restart your phone. The phone app can be kinda bad in general, really.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't.

edit: though that could be that guy's problem, or else his premium lapsed and he didn't notice

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 3, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Is google play free or is it strictly a subscription service? I let my spotify premium run out when I'm not doing so well on cash, so if google absolutely requires a membership then I'll pass for now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah I'm gonna be pretty irritated if they remove the starred playlist because it is way too late for me to be migrating all that poo poo somewhere else.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah normal playlists have a song limit and the starred one doesn't. It's just that when you already have a ton of music in a spot, it gets to the point where you can't easily transition somewhere else. I really doubt the playlist itself is going anywhere (why would it?) but if for some insane reason they gave it the axe, that's hundreds or even thousands of songs just gone.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

Did Spotify change something in how Discover lists are generated this week? After months of repeated songs and Spotify insisting that I would love white boys rapping about steampunk and every single identical faux-80s synthy poser, this week my list is full of absolute gems and songs that I've loved for years but haven't listened to in forever. Same with my wife's list. Everything is fresh and far more relevant to what we actually like.

mine's still the same stuff it always gives me, repeats included. it loves recommending me music that it's already recommended before and that I've already got in a playlist

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just following an artist doesn't add their entire discography to your library or anything, so you'd have to manually add them for that to work. that's as simple as hitting save on all of the albums but it might take a while. you could do that same with with a playlist but adding everything would get tedious and they do cap out at 10k songs (which is generous but something to keep in mind)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

It seems if you load your Discovery Weekly playlist on desktop, you now have like and dislike buttons. If you hover over a track they'll appear to the right of the album title.
Edit: Clicking on dislike will give you a choice: "I don't like this song" or "I don't like this artist".

that's great. they love to recommend the same song over and over again. next they should make it so discover can't recommend songs that you already have in a playlist

• Locked thread