Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Am I the only one still using Spotify now then? I am on the Unlimited deal for the time being because I am lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Good to know I am not the only one then, my friends/family all look at me like I just took a dump on their carpet when I tell them I still use it and am paying for it. The convenience and enjoyment I get out of it way offsets the five pounds I put aside for it.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Apart from the already posted issues with the new update, I also think that the new update's artist page is hellishly ugly. Their sudden jump from dark grey's to a bright dirty white is nothing if not jarring, especially since both shades are on screen at the same time, stressing the ugly combo. It looked nicer in the muted, dark colours. Add into that the awful iTunes style 'Top 10' list which is two columns of five as well as the lag I seem to be experiencing and you just have a whole slew of dumb design decisions. I hope in their next update they take notice of the three issues raised earlier, as mine are less likely to be recognised as problems.

Edit: Why can't I drag tracks from their artist page and drop them into a playlist? That is a bit of an odd omission. I now have to right click and add through that menu, which is just dumb when such a better alternative already exists. It is even dumber when they still allow you to add local tracks by dragging and dropping, just not from the artist page. This update is loving dumb, I've been using Spotify since '09, which really, is a long time, and in that time this is easily the worst update for silly little oversights.

Edit 2: This drag'n'drop thing definitely has to be an oversight, because you can add tracks to playlists from album pages too. It is just the artist one which is fussy. Hope they fix it soon, it is disorientating after using the same method for so long.

I also think the track counter on playlists no longer counts the actual tracks as soon as they are added, it just seems to guess for a while. Then, after an hour it might update. For example, I have been working on this playlist which had 130ish tracks and added nine or so more tracks, only for it to tell me I still only had 130. Then, in the time since this was originally posted, it has jumped to 10, then down to 139. Weird.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 7, 2013

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

het posted:

I'm always reluctant to trash a new interface right away because people tend to react negatively to things they're unfamiliar with, but I have to agree that having the middle pane be light and the outer panes be dark seems just like an unquestionably bad decision. I don't really mind the top tracks thing and I definitely like the vertical ordering of related artists much better than the old way (though I wish it listed more).

Most of my spotted flaws are pretty petty and of the 'grrrr don't like change variety', which are also things I am slowly getting used to as well. I'm getting used to the iTunes column things already, for example. However, the colours still look terrible.

I don't think I will ever get used to the removal of drag'n'drop in certain situations and not in others though. Do other people actually experience this, or is it just me?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
They seem to have fixed the drag and drop issue, my life is in balance once again.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Sorry for the double post, but does anyone here use the Chromebook Spotify app? If so, does it still have the function that allows you to put music onto your iPod on it, via syncing with Spotify rather than iTunes? It seems unlikely, but I am hoping so.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Chicolini posted:

No kidding. None of this is intuitive. Did they remove control+F to find a song on an artist's page? There's no way to change the bright white background on there?

They did remove CTRL+F. The business mind inside of me tells me that labels are the reason (it allows you jump straight to what you want, instead of going through and forcing yourself to see the other songs, possibly making you want to listen), but I can't be certain. For all we know, this might just be the beginning of another update to the player, which works differently.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

I recently noticed that Four Tet isn't on Spotify anymore :(

That happened about two months ago.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, the artist is supposedly the one that suffers. I've read reports of them getting back pennies on the pound for thousands and thousands of streams, and I know a small group of artists who have sworn off of it because of the low returns. Four Tet tweets every now and then of his hate for the service. I remember a couple of years ago reading about how Flying Lotus also does not like the service, alongside other streaming systems, like Pandora.

Just a quick google search of 'artists that hate spotify' got me this article. A lot of people don't like it.

But supposedly, not even the business itself is profitable. I have to wonder how long it can last.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
E: ^^^ I agree with you entirely, Telex. I was just posting what I had gathered from the reports I'd read.^^^

precision posted:

There are also artists that do like it because it's better than nothing. By that I mean, pennies on the pound is much better than literally nothing, which these days is what a very large number of people are willing to pay for music. Even the biggest fans of bands are always downloading the album leak instead of waiting for the release and buying it.

It makes me feel old and sad. I actually own a lot of what I listen to on Spotify, for me it's just "easier than finding the record/CD" and hey it gives someone, somewhere a little bit more money than I already paid.

Yeah, I have the same feeling about it which makes me feel conflicted about the likes of Thom Yorke leading a coup over it. Aside from the pennies paid per the thousand listens compared to the nothing they receive from a torrent, there are a lot of artists who I would never have known had it not been for Spotify. These days I follow IDM and regularly listen to artists within the genre, whilst also pursuing many other genres with a lesser, but still strong interest.

I don't read music journalism (lol its poo poo) and only in the past year and a half have taken a real interest in following it on here with any dedication. The only way I got into these genres is through Spotify, as many artists inside my current genres find no mainstream commercial attention. The 'Related Artists' column has probably had the single biggest impact on my listening habits in the past three or four years, as that was the only means I had to get exposed to them. They weren't local, they typically are not popular and in many cases are not even current. Spotify is the single straightest path to finding new music for me.

As such, while I understand Yorke gripes with the service, I am also annoyed with him somewhat. He doesn't need the attention that smaller artists receive from Spotify and really, he never did. Major label, MTV and mainstream radio attention, 22 on the charts and platinum soon after. That is just for Pablo Honey. There are artists who are well into their career with strong material consisting of multiple albums and EPs who for whatever reason, be it circumstance or a personal choice, do not get that attention they might deserve for their creative abilities.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 4, 2013

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Telex posted:

I don't know your experience with the software has gone, but mine always recommends the dumbest loving most mainstream stuff and has been totally useless for discovery.

that's really the argument. It's a way to avoid buying music for pennies on the dollar and also avoids noticing any new music at all if you're not actively going to find it on purpose. The whole thing probably needs a revamp conceptually, otherwise I don't see Spotify or the rest sticking around since there's nothing in it for the artists that need it.

I do use it to find new music with purpose, and I find it works pretty well for doing that. You just click the recommended names that you don't recognise. It does me well for that. Once you break past the mainstream artists within a genre, you will find less and less recommendations that take you back to the tip of the iceberg, or so I find.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I agree. It should cost more, but they already started charging at the current price. People would throw a fit if it suddenly went up.

Really, they also need a new tier to charge (logically, $15) for as well, but I cannot think of what that tier would get you. They kind of need to if they plan to continue working. Maybe split Premium up into other things.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 12, 2013

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I really want them to add in a feature to the browser based version that allows you to move tracks around on playlists. You can add to playlists, but now move them up and down the playlist, which doesn't make sense.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Some I have from this subforum...

https://play.spotify.com/user/mmd3/playlist/4xMCwePRXs9pqyJkCkDKiY

https://play.spotify.com/user/moscowcentre/playlist/5vHRRCIC9vd0ZLEhgH61An

E: Not too sure about upbeat, though.

E: Some other good stuff...

Moon Soundtrack
https://play.spotify.com/album/0ux9vxJhJoFKaD66UH3160

Deus Ex Soundtrack
https://play.spotify.com/album/4LuVQCHTgUZjuWgUQ7lQbl

Another Person fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 30, 2013

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, Offline mode is really useful for if you plan on being somewhere without wifi or 3G connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I thought that a few weeks ago, but I'm sure they would run into some issues somewhere legally. I don't know why I think that, I just do.

• Locked thread