Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm lead to believe that when you're a Spotify premium member you can download music rather than just stream it? I think it's pretty kool but if you have to stream everything then it's not worth much to me as I have very little 3G data out and about. How does this work?

Can you download as normal files that other players can read? I would prefer to use Foobar rather than the Spotify player.

How does the integration with your current music collection work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Apparently they removed the ability to save your playlist's sorting preference as a 'feature' and the community has to vote it back up as something they want :psyduck:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don't care about the ads all that much and the service around here sucks too much to use it on my phone, so I don't see the point.

You can download tracks to your phone by the way, that way you don't need mobile streaming at all.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
A new spotify bug: I got a few local folders chosen as my Local Files. However for some reason now they don't show up, there is a random selection of greyed out tracks instead. This of course used to work. If I try and play one these random tracks it tells me I can import them....great.]

EDIT: Restarting Spotify and disabling and enabling those folders again seems to have fixed it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

2* is for songs that are alright but really only listen to as part of an album. 1* is never ever again.

If Apple's new streaming service works with their smart playlist features and 5 stars, it would be great. You could have a 5* playlist with all your favorite songs, and a 4-5* when you want a little more variety but something you still like.

With the thumb system you get three choices though. Thumb down is bad, nothing is average, thumb up is good. It doesn't force you to up or down it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is Play All Access better at local files?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Regarding the way streaming platforms pay the artists; I'm pretty confused about Taylor Swift's crusades. She seems to be targeting the wrong part of the industry. It's clearly the labels that are loving over the majority of artists not the platforms. Or am I wrong?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Why is Spotify for Android re-downloading half of my playlists when I go online? Last night I went online to update it with a few songs and it randomly redownloaded 70% of a playlist.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I wonder what their metric is for 'got big'? I got a lot of the same as above (G-easy, Churches, Borns etc.)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Avocados posted:

Yeah how do I do that part specifically? It seems straightforward but im not sure how to sync it. There's no device button on the Spotify Desktop program either.

You have to do it from your phone. So add the local files on your desktop, add them to your playlist on your desktop or phone then make that playlist offline on your phone. Works but not all the time.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Also you can't edit the metadata of any imported tracks as of some update ages ago. So when Spotify can't read perfectly valid tags it gets all messed up.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've been running my phone in offline mode up until recently, wonder if that would skew this.

Also; gently caress, where is the volume control :argh:

EDIT: the more I get through this the more I realise that it must.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

The rear end Stooge posted:

They're saying that using Spotify in offline mode hurts the accuracy of the Year on Music thing because their listening history isn't being recorded.

Yes, this.

On on this I wonder why Spotify doesn't make the listening information more available as it is clear they are storing and using it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
True. Unrelated: has anyone noticed that on the Android update it doesn't seem to remember shuffle status now? Before my gym playlist was set to shuffle and my Starred was not. Yet now it seems to be a global setting not per playlist?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I generally dig Spotify but gently caress their Local Files system is stupid and broken. Some tracks/albums just refuse to download to my phone when other local files work perfectly. No rhyme or reason, it's loving annoying.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Spikes32 posted:

I remember reading that this is mostly because of bad contracts they have with their record companies where most of online streaming revenue goes to the company. Anyone know if this is correct or not?

I've heard this too and frankly would be surprised if this wasn't the case.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Charlie Mopps posted:

Its amazing how Spotify seems to actively works to make its product worse. Sometimes it does something cool like Discover Weekly but mostly its one step forward, four steps back. And yet they are still better than the competition, so i still see no reason to switch.

I agree with you 100%. I can't get over how they remove features all the time, like the time they removed the ability to search in playlists. Bizarre.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone had an normalisation issues with Spotify on iOS? I've recently moved from Android and never had an issue but now I find that certain tracks and albums are significantly louder than others even with normalisation on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone offer any help getting local files to sync to my phone? Something changed a week or two ago (Spotify probably did an iOS update and broke it) but my local files won't play on my phone. I can see them and they show as downloaded but when I go to play on my phone it says "Song Not Downloaded". I'm using a Windows 10 desktop connected via Ethernet and an iPhone 7 on WiFi.

• Locked thread