Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peggotty
May 9, 2014

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Welcome-to-the-Desktop-Beta/td-p/932803

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The Modern Leper posted:

Also, I found the whole Library/starred/my songs/etc. thing to be confusing and unwieldy.

All of that is utter poo poo. Playlists are the only thing that make the Spotify app usable at all.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

it's good if you listen to whole albums

If you listen to nothing but whole albums, maybe. It's a confusing mess otherwise.
And God forbid you listen to anything that doesn't fit into the pop scheme of artist/album/song.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

In positive news: The new design, while loving up a ton of stuff obviously, has a killer feature. It actually closes the program if you click on the X.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

inSTAALed posted:

what do you all mean by search playlists? just hit ctrl+f when you have one selected and it pops up the filter box?

That's exactly what they removed.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/2y6a68/spotify_update_1011060gc75ebdfd_mega_discussion/cp6mg13

quote:

Apps removed (this is a planned removal and will not be returning)
Activity feed redesigned (now emphasizes social aspects over the music they are listening to)
Closing spotify with the "X" now exits the application
Top Charts has replaced Top Tracks (located in Browse)
CTRL-F No longer works
Playlist dividers gone
Can no longer see list of songs in a folder, only the playlists it contains
Cannot set cache or offline playlists location
Local files can't be dragged directly into playlists to add them to your library
Not all of local tracks show up (people with large local track libraries)
Can't remove local tracks from playlists
Can't edit ID3 tags for local tracks
Clicking song that's playing no longer takes you to the album (for some people)
Notifications on the taskbar icon
Crossfade toggle and adjustment has been further buried under Advanced Settings
Volume normalization broken
Some ads are playing abnormally loud
App is not maximized on launch even if it was on closing.
Some notifications will never go away
Song title and artist no longer appears on the taskbar.
Can't use aero peak to see currently playing track
Saving entire albums to 'My Music' no longer works correctly
Various aspects of the "Sort by..." feature including "date added" for local tracks and "by artists" in playlist view are nonfunctional
Can no longer press first letter of name to skip to that section in the playlist/sorting
Can no longer drop tracks into the playlist view, you must now drag them to the playlist using the left sidebar
Can no longer use "delete" key to remove songs from the play queue
Media buttons no longer work for some users
Can't resize the sorting columns to see the full text.
Track playing won't show on hover view for macs
Apple scripts broken
Some songs wrongly categorized as local files so they become unplayable in the client
No longer able to click currently playing song title to see its position in the playlist
:roflolmao:

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I'm going to stay with Spotify for as long as I have my 50% student discount, but I agree that Google Play is better by now. The integration of your own music files is amzing.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Knifegrab posted:

Why would google play be better? I thought google play was a "pay by song" service as opposed to a streaming service? Why would that be better?

When we say "Google Play", which is the name for the entire google content store, we mean Google Play Music All Access which is a streaming service with a name that's way too long.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

There are some 3rd party clients like this one, no idea if they're any good.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I used pyportify when I tried out google play.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

In the bottom right, left of the shuffle button, there's a play queue button, that's where the history is as well.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I think that's only for playlists.
But I don't really get "saving" things anyway.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

thathonkey posted:

using a google service is considered being tech progressive?

Switching services because you compared the one you use to its competitors is the tech-progressive part.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

My desktop spotify doesn't play any local files anymore :iiam:

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

This probably sounds like a really retarded question, but can someone tell me the point of a huge "library" in an online app, whether it's through starring or via the My Library stuff? I get having 5-20 albums on there for easy access, but if you have 25000 songs in a starred playlist, how does that make finding a song/album/artist faster than just typing it in the regular search box? I mean, it's not like you need to save anything when it's all just links to digital files. But everyone seems to treat it like an actual collection and I don't get it at all.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

inSTAALed posted:

i shuffle the 25000 song playlist so i dont have to pick something and i find new favorite songs from bands i know i like that way

bowmore posted:

You shuffle it so it's like a radio station of only music you like

Ah ok, then it's just just a difference in how we listen to music. I want to listen to something specific most of the time, and if I don't I prefer to listen to something I don't necessarily know, which tends to be an actual (online) radio station or Pandora because Spotifys radio function is so unbelievably horrible.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Maybe I've missed something, but is there anything that sets the apple thing apart from their competitors? (From a consumer perspective)

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

That's why I wrote "from a consumer perspective". I know that they could make a bunch of cash from Apple users, but I don't care about that.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

It sounds a lot better in 64bit iTunes, but only if you have Brilliant Pebbles placed around your CPU.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

It's pretty amazing. I feared that it would be awful because about 50% of the music I listen to is classical, and any kind of automatic suggestion based on that would be horrifying, but it's mostly indie with some hiphop for me and that's exactly what I would have wanted.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Can't wait for Marshmallow permissions. iOS already has some kind of case-by-case permission functionality iirc?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Genius as in rapgenius.com? Oh god..

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Nah, not apple. Prince is exclusively on Tidal, and Neil Young is on no streaming service, because obviously you can't properly enjoy Neil Youngs ultracomplex music when it's streamed in such horrible quality so you need to buy them on his audiophile Pono stuff.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Somehow I don't think he'll stop making CDs though.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

It has only been unavailable for a year, it's probably just him realizing that nobody will ever buy a Pono.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

"Billy" sounds too much like a normal, friendly person anyway.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

On my phone I'm randomly getting Genius.com lyrics in place of the album cover, interspersed with random facts about the song

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

It's a very Spotify decision to remove a functionality and then put it in again but only on mobile and only for some songs.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

You don't need Wine for Spotify on linux, there's a native client (but it's not officially supported, it's a perpetual beta)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

At some point all Billy Corgan records that are on Warner disappeared from Spotify, that's Zeitgeist and the Zwan album and one of his solo albums. I don't know why though. Maybe Billy punched a Warner Brothers guy in the face.

• Locked thread