Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Anybody have any invite codes? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Took arN56J8VP8bD6HSz! Thanks, davejk!!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Need more apps!! That's like most of the fun in Spotify :)

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I've been paying for Spotify Premium for two months and I JUST found out the "Stream High Quality" box....wasn't checked.

:doh:

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Anybody have a good one for indie rock?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
What happens when I follow Artists?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
If Spotify allowed a view that sorted all of your chosen songs by artist (as in, condensed) like the classic view in iTunes, it would be the end all, be all of every music player. It's more playlist oriented.

Like this:

ignore the red marks.

89 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 19, 2013

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Charlie Mopps posted:

I think they are already rolling out Collections. Since yesterday i've got a 'Your Music' below the apps:

and a new button to save music to it:

Clicking on artists give you this:

which can be sorted by name, recently added and most played.

Clicking on the name gives you a list of all songs you saved to 'your music'.

Albums gives you this:

and clicking on the name once again gives you a list of songs.
How can we get this again? I'm still stuck with the old Spotify.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, why do my ALAC files in my Spotify playlists play on my synced iPhone, but not on my actual Spotify setup on my PC?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I've been Spotify's loving bitch for years despite their UI fuckups....but iTunes Music is going pretty smoothly....went to For Me and hit the "romantic dinner" songs it made for me and Eddie Vedder's "Longing to Belong" was the first one that hit.

I might be in love :allears:

And being able to expand your particular songs you already have on your iPhone into the full album in the cloud so seamlessly..

What does hitting the heart symbol on songs really do? It doesn't add it to your library, right? Kinda confusing. Looks like it doesn't do anything.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Apple Music has been pausing for me a lot lately. I've been genuinely torn between Apple & Spotify. Spotify is better....but jeez, it sucks loving balls organizing your music library while Apple kills it at that....but then Apple syncs the wrong songs and the music discovery isn't as good as Spotify's.

Ugh.

I just want my mp3s and music over the services I paid for to play nicely together with great library organization and synchronization and use that information to help me discover new music. Spotify, why's it just gotta be a huge list of songs in alphabetical order when I click on an Artist? And I can't use star ratings to differentiate stuff visually?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Warning: Boring music organization talk

I just revived my love with Spotify and figured I'd share. I've been split between all of the music streaming services because I have an existing library with iTunes before the streaming services took over that has the vast majority of my music. Of which I've also spent countless hours being super anal organizing and rating everything. I started using Spotify because it was a hell of a lot easier than finding the songs to buy or download.

But, that split my libraries. My existing and main library with iTunes. And all of my new music for the past 4-5 years with Spotify. I enjoyed iTunes's interface. But it ran like garbage. Spotify was nifty, but it's local file support sucks poo poo (and still does, really). So, I hopped on to Apple Music and LOVED it initially. Then, I realized how much its new music discovery paled in comparision to Spotify. Annnnnnnd, it's Apple Match killed local songs for me because I have a ton of VERY specific versions of songs that I want to retain (live, remixes, alternate verisions). And while it worked alright on my desktop, I couldn't sync those songs to my iPhone anymore and that was a deal breaker to me. It also didn't help that I've hit a bug with my iTunes library that won't sort albums by release date anymore without everything playing in reverse order (wtf).

So, I rethought how I listen to my stuff.

Old system (iTunes):

3 Stars - Songs I really like and want bookmark for myself in a sense. Not my favorite, but I always like hearing them.
4 Stars - The heavy hitters.
5 Stars - My absolute favorite songs in this world, the pinnacle of my taste in music. The songs I feel are the greatest ever to my tastes.

But, I don't want to lose these ratings I spent yeaaaaars marking. So, how do I incorporate that into Spotify also without losing track of my favorite newer songs on Spotify?

Well, my iTunes playlists are imported into Spotify. So, I have the lists for my 3 stars, 4 stars, and 5 stars songs.

So, I came up with these 4 Spotify playlists:

The Gold Collection - Just the 5 star songs from iTunes
The Silver Collection - Just the 4 star and 5 star songs from iTunes
Best of the Best - All of the 5 star, 4 star, and 3 star songs from iTunes + every Spotify song
Recent Favorites - All of my super favorite Spotify songs from the past few years

Then, I went through all of my Spotify songs (1,300) and added the ones to the Gold and Silver collection as needed.

But, the process I now abide to when I find a new song that I like?

+ Hit the Save Button
+ Add to Best of the Best playlist
----If I really like it, I also added it to the Recent Favorite playlist
-------If I REAAAAAALLY like it, I ALSO add it to the Silver Collection playlist
--------<3 If I LOVEEEE it, I ALSO add it to the Gold Collection playlist

Current library: 3,962 songs
Gold Collection : 217 songs
Silver Collection: 1,279 songs
Best of the Best: same as current library
Recent Favorites: 199 songs

Note: The Gold, Silver, and Recent Favorites are saved and Available Offline to keep the local tunes despite if they match anything on Spotify or not (live poo poo and etc)

Now, I used to be a music HOARDER. I had over 20,000 songs. Then, when I swapped to Apple Music, I cut a lot of poo poo out (cause why hoard and use hard drive space when you can stream poo poo you're not immediately familiar with and just have on your To-Listen-To List? I cut it down to 7,000 songs. Which also included a ton of full albums and such. So, with Spotify, I tried to use the weaknesses and strengths of it along with my actual listening habits and realizing you can't have the whole cake. But instead, figuring out the perfect system with how I listen to music. So, if I didn't already have my music previously marked from iTunes with at least 3 stars, I cut it from my library. BECAUSE.....if I want to hear the full drat album, I'll just hit -Go To Album- and stream the whole thing and keep my favorites off of it. I tend to do a lot more playlist listening, almost like my own personal radio station. Which is how music listening has gone. Some say unfortunately. I say whatever.

Now? When I play music, I'll play the Best of the Best list that will have all of my favorites along with new music I've marked and might need a little more patience listening to. I'll play the Silver Collection when I want to cut the stuff I'm working on and go straight to my favorites. Gold when I want JUST the best. Recent when...yeah, duh. It's a system that works for me and has me excited to combine both of my libraries in a sense that WORKS.

So.

END RESULT: I've incorporated ALL of my favorite local files into Spotify along with all of my newer Spotify music from the past several years into one 4 playlist package. I keep my local and favorite tunes along with growing my library with new stuff. They play side by side and life is happy.

I feel accomplished. Nobody posts in here anyways, so I figured gently caress it. Maybe it might help somebody.

Oh, and with this, I've canceled Apple Music.

89 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 8, 2016

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Paper With Lines posted:

That is pretty cool.

I've gotten hosed* like three times from computer failures so I just keep track of what I listen to with last.fm. It is totally different from your strategy, but bless you for figuring out a way to make a move work.

*Meaning that the stupid single itunes file has gotten owned or I've lost huge chunks of my mp3 collection.

Oh, dude I've lost my collection TWICE....

CrashPlan.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

A human heart posted:

What do you do if you want to get into some new music that isn't on a streaming service?

I download it and add it to the Best of the Best playlist or better if it's awesome.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Nothing surprises me about Radiohead not being on Spotify. I'm surprised if the new album is on the other streaming services.

I mean, of course....the new album is on MY Spotify with my system I posted, so I don't care :D

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Do the Daily Mix playlists change at all? I feel like it's the same playlist every day. I have a huge library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I dunno how the Spotify local file management is still so broken. Thankfully, I tricked it into working for me with a way too ADD system of playlists I keep. But, I shouldn't have to do that.

• Locked thread