Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Used this one. Thanks ionn!
aNmuzUfmexxYuG6D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Jive Turkey posted:

2) I already noticed some older artists missing from the catalog (Zeppelin!?)... it's not THAT big a deal but I wanted to know if you came across issues finding music?

As long as we're talking back catalog items, there is a (totally expected) Beatles-shaped hole in the service...no George Harrison solo stuff either, but you will find the other three. Also the Eagles are M.I.A., Pink Floyd is represented only by Pulse, and Bob Dylan's almost entirely missing. But if you pitch the service the Stones, the Who, or Hendrix you'll come away with what a arguably generous selection (if not always a complete catalog (see again: the Who, and "Going Home", the one song from the Stones' Aftermath that's been excluded from streaming)). Also, there's enough Doors to choke a whore horse, including an impressive selection of live material from the Bright Midnight imprint.

Overall, Spotify is an excellent service so far. I've been throwing this thing stuff from out of left field since yesterday morning and the service has come back with a decent hit rate so far, at least for what I come up with. There's a lot to keep you busy, just with the caveat that there are still a few bald spots.

e:

First 07 posted:

Honestly anyone who wants to listen to the Beatles, Pink Floyd, the Eagles, etc already has that in their iTunes library.

Guilty as charged.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 16, 2011

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Am I imagining things or did the search function just now go belly-up? I'm chatting with a goon in Florida who just ran into the same thing, even though the music hasn't stopped streaming (and the ads haven't stopped refreshing).

e @ 2:23am: Ah, there it is again. Moral of the story: Americans can break anything if you give them a chance. :v:

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 16, 2011

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Feenix posted:

Is it me or does it feel like all you can do is listen to music you know about because it's pretty much search-based?

I want something that has genres, plays similar artists, etc. That seems like a pretty big failing unless I'm just missing how to do it.

If you get a band/artist page, there's usually a "related artists" tab. That doesn't seem to happen on an album page, just the artist page. A bunch of writeups from before the US launch talk about genre radio and artist radio options, but if that's in the US product, it's apparently not in the free version.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

thrawn86 posted:

Music quality is...pretty good. most of my other stuff is lame vbr, so I'd anticipate the premium HQ stuff could easily compete.

According to the FAQ, the free service streams at 160 kbps, while premium users bump up to 320 kbps. There's also a low bandwidth option for the mobile app (96 kbps).

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Monitor posted:

Hey, I just got to use this in the U.S. because Spotify e-mailed me and I'm wondering if the 20 hours of listening per month limitation is there? I really cannot find conclusive answers to this.

More to the point, is there a way we'd be able to tell if the 20 hour limitation had gone into effect? Besides the service cutting off at the time limit, of course...

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 18, 2011

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Monitor posted:

Mine doesn't have this status bar, does that mean I have limitless streaming for free for good? I don't quite believe that, I just noticed the window at the top says Spotify Free, if that matters.

I take it that means we just have limitless free streaming for now (as more than a few folks have been saying), which is perfect for kicking the tires and taking a few laps around the block.

Thanks Klaus Kinski, this is a good thing to know.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Just got an invite sent to me today and I'm really digging the combination of streaming and my local library. I wish it had a suggestion engine (or maybe I'm just missing it) but it's great for sampling albums that I was on the fence about picking up.

Well, moretrackslikethis.com and Spotibot look good so far, at least as far as third-party solutions go.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

supa scoopa posted:

Did you try searching like this: label:"label name" ?

This might help: Advanced Search Syntax.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Grawl posted:

Is there any explanation why Spotify uses this much upload? I don't mind, I'm just wondering.

It probably has something to do with Spotify using a p2p solution to keep its main servers from choking. (the long version)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Zomodok posted:

i'm on a poo poo connection (in this day and age I know) until the end of the month and I love using Spotify while I play SC2.

Though the upload/streaming lags me so much in SC2 that I usually have to pick one or the other :( is there anyway to disable the upload for the p2p poo poo?

Well, there isn't what you'd call an easy way--something to uncheck in Preferences, for instance--but it looks like there are a few possibilities.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pablo Gigante posted:

What artists have you looked at? :confused: They have like literally every single Beach Boys album, every Elvis Costello album, and I've rarely found an artist whose catalog they didn't fully carry (besides the Beatles, Bob Dylan, etc.). Sometimes older albums will be re-issue versions so you might have a 60's album dated to 1995 or something like that.

Yeah seriously, you can go back to the 1920s and 30s if you've got an itch. It's not everything that ever was, but the catalog is deep as holy hell.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Winszton posted:

Would Spotify get on my rear end for sharing my account with my dad? It would be an IP address across the country, not sure if that would send up any flags or not..

Wouldn't work. They've set it up so that while you can log in from multiple locations, you can only stream to one at a time. When a stream starts at a new location, anything else will pause.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Addressing the ones I know:

3) Keep scrolling down the search results list first and it'll pull up more tracks until it pulls them all up, and then sort by artist. Kind of funky, I know, but it works.
4) I don't think this has been mentioned in a few pages, but ShareMyPlaylists.com has playlists hand-rolled by Spotify users, while Spotibot.com uses last.fm data to generate a list using a favorite artist as a jumping-off point.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

wyoming posted:

Seriously?.
I hate this elitism that because something is easy to access it isn't "special"
If they want to be so loving special maybe they should only put their albums on reel-to-reel.

It says something about the professionalism (and probably the negotiating skills) of this particular distributor that "gently caress Spotify" was allowed into their official statement.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Well, here's something I was hoping to hear.

CNet posted:

Spotify extends free-play 'honeymoon' indefinitely

Spotify users who have taken advantage of the company's no-cost, no-limits listening won't be held to any new limits just yet.

The music-streaming company announced today that it will extend its "honeymoon for unlimited free listening" for an indefinite period of time. When Spotify launched last year, the company said that users would be able to listen to free, ad-supported music for six months. After that, they would have been subject to a 10-hour monthly listening cap.

Spotify's decision to extend the unlimited listening isn't necessarily a surprise, since the company has been doing it for the last three months -- Spotify launched in the U.S. nine months ago.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

webmeister posted:

What does that little chain link icon next to some of my music mean? There's no tooltip and the online help is useless!

That's an indicator that the software linked a track either to an mp3 in your local library so it plays that instead of streaming (which doesn't count against your monthly listening allotment, if you have one) or, in the case of an album not available in your market, linking a track to a streaming copy from another album that is. Sometimes you get a false match (usually for alternate versions or mixes), so you can unlink a track by clicking on the icon. (e: or it just takes you to the replacement...that's what I get for doing this description from memory)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 3, 2012

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Yup, there's already a five page thread in the Spotify support forum of me-toos. Something important must've gotten screwed up in the most recent update.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Lazyhound posted:

Wasn't there an old sticky with goon Spotify playlists by genre?

Yup, but it pooped out around two years ago.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

There used to be a liner notes app which provided virtual CD booklets for albums, but there were never more than a dozen acts in it at any time. They were all major label big sellers, so no way in hell it ever came close to living up to its potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

For offline listening on mobile? Yes. Syncing local files is still unlimited.

• Locked thread