Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Hey guys, thought I'd bounce an idea off of you.

I was about to create a new thread but figured I'd make sure nothing like this is already going on somewhere before making it.

The idea is to have a set of goon-curated/updated playlists for each of a bunch of genres. Sort of acting as primers for each genre. IE, I don't know a lot about jazz or classical but if I wanted to get started on learning about fundamental jazz musicians it'd be nice to be able to get the input of the NMD braintrust involved to make some collaborative Spotify playlists.

I was thinking we'd set up some criteria, like... identify a list of genres we'd like to start off with and get volunteer curators to start populating some playlists. Make sure that the playlists are all named similarly so they're easy to search on, have some kind of limit on how many tracks from a single artist you have and how long the playlists are ie: we wouldn't want them to be several days worth of songs, 3-5 hours might be ideal, the idea is just to get people started... the idea wouldn't be to just add full albums from each artist but rather the top 1-3 tracks that define that artist or album's sound.

Does this sound like something that we could convince goons to get behind? Does anybody have any recommendations for how to start things off? I'm happy to create the thread and get a few lists going to start off with but I wouldn't consider myself an expert on very many genres.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
okay then, I'll go ahead and get it started.

Does anybody have a recommended genre list for me to kickstart things with? or would anybody like to volunteer a particular genre that they can create playlists for to get things rolling?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I'm trying to assemble a condensed genre list from this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popular_music_genres

Is it safe to just start it off with high level genres or am I going to offend the poo poo out of everyone?

I would probably break electronic into Ambient, IDM, Techno, Chicago House, French House, Electro to begin with since it is a pretty popular genre around these parts but I'm having a more difficult time deciding what sub-genres to start off with for Hip Hop, Jazz, Rock, Blues, etc.

Maybe I'll just throw the major genres up there and ask people to volunteer sub-genres they want to tackle.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I got this thing kicked off:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3497919

Earwicker, if you wouldn't mind adding some stuff from your Ambient, IDM, and Techno playlists that'd be rad.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is there a spotify remote that isn't terrible? I'd like to plug my laptop into the stereo and use my iphone to control what plays so I don't have to get up and walk over to the computer all the time.

spotify iphone app + any of these: http://www.spotify.com/us/about/features/around-the-house/

not sure of a specific remote app to control the desktop app though.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

wow, these all sound like great updates, anticipating this muchly, thanks.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
my frustration without being able to collapse/group albums or artists is that I have one long playlist I use for "new music to check out" I will just add full albums to it with the intention of giving each album a listen to 2-3x before removing it from the "inbox" so to speak. This playlist is ridiculously unwieldy to look out uncollapsed. I'm really really surprised they haven't tackled this feature yet as it seems like people have been asking for it basically since the inception of spotify.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

webcams for christ posted:

I use folders and sub-folders (and sometimes sub-sub-folders) to keep things organized.

Ctrl+Shift+N

Snap! Didn't realize this was possible. Still not as ideal as auto collapsing albums but ill have to give this a try tomorrow, thanks!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
is anybody else running into an issue post-update where hardly any of the art will actually load? it's odd because I can play songs and the cover art in the bottom left usually loads but in the main pane for discover or artist views none of the art loads. Really annoying and makes it almost unusable.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

seventeen posted:

I remember seeing a thread or a megapost of Spotify playlists called NMD (genre) Primer. Could someone point me in the correct direction?

If this is something people are still interested in we could work on getting it started again. I have all of them added in my account and haven't seen a ton of activity as far as additions lately... I suppose the thread being archived would definitely explain that ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can I bug people to please upvote this feature request?

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Search-Play-song-radio-after-playing-search-result/idi-p/3299891

I frequently search for a specific song when I'm driving somewhere because I spontaneously want to hear it and then Spotify goes into auto-play other search results which is the dumbest logic I've seen from an otherwise very polished app. Expected behavior should be it starts a station from that song if you don't change off of it so you hear other songs that are from the same genre rather than other songs with whatever search term in the title.

• Locked thread