Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

E:f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I've never really poured through Ghostbusters to find stuff like that tbh.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CelticPredator posted:

I've never really poured through Ghostbusters to find stuff like that tbh.

Pssshhhh... Then what are you doing in this thread?

Kidding, but every time there's some sort of trivia or behind the scenes thingy, it's always brought up how that guy in the background isn't even an extra; he actually accidentally walked on set during the shot and they kept it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghostbusters exists in the same weird space for me like Star Wars where when it comes to behind the scenes stuff, I really never looked into it. I'm not sure why. It's like they'll always exist on this other plane, like they were formed and not created.

I know stuff now, but as far as reaaaallly digging, I haven't done so.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Do yourself a favour and at least watch the dvd commentary with Harold Ramis, Ivan Reitman and assoc. prod. Joe Medjuck. It’s hilarious, and incredibly informative about the film. Also, it does a great MST3K silhouette of them at the bottom of the screen.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Has anyone ever cosplayed as this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-2WPo0yE9w

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The_Doctor posted:

Do yourself a favour and at least watch the dvd commentary with Harold Ramis, Ivan Reitman and assoc. prod. Joe Medjuck. It’s hilarious, and incredibly informative about the film. Also, it does a great MST3K silhouette of them at the bottom of the screen.

Is it on the blu Ray? The newest one?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well done cosplay. :golfclap:

Who is the dork at with the microphone?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Who is the dork at with the microphone?

Irrelevant.

Also I have no idea.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The farther Van Halen falls out of modern pop culture, the longer that shot seems to hang on his face before finally cutting away.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

CelticPredator posted:

Is it on the blu Ray? The newest one?

I think the commentary is, but don't think it has the silhouettes at the bottom, that was a feature of one of the DVD releases. The DVD used a subtitle track or alternate angle track or something to superimpose silhouettes.

(The silhouettes aren't a big deal, they didn't look amazing, just something a bit nifty where they were able to use a feature of DVD players to do something beyond what it's normally designed to do.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One thing I think anyone who enjoys Ghostbusters needs to do is like a "keep your eyes on Egon at all times" viewing, and see how many times he's just doing hilarious poo poo in a scene that you didn't notice before.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

One thing I think anyone who enjoys Ghostbusters needs to do is like a "keep your eyes on Egon at all times" viewing, and see how many times he's just doing hilarious poo poo in a scene that you didn't notice before.

I can only think of two specific instances: billing the Sedgewick Hotel, and rolling his eyes while hugging Janine, right after "I'm afraid you're going to die".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I can only think of two specific instances: billing the Sedgewick Hotel, and rolling his eyes while hugging Janine, right after "I'm afraid you're going to die".

A lot of the time it's just his facial expressions, not necessarily that he's actively doing something in the background. But yea the Sedgewick Hotel scene kinda blew my mind when I first saw it because I had seen the movie like 50 times before that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

A lot of the time it's just his facial expressions, not necessarily that he's actively doing something in the background. But yea the Sedgewick Hotel scene kinda blew my mind when I first saw it because I had seen the movie like 50 times before that.

Same, I couldn't believe I had missed it over and over again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Egon's kind of a weird character in that he manages to do the straight-laced, almost Spock-like weird scientist thing and does it so drat right. And it's nearly impossible to tell how much is him legitimately being weird and how much is taking the piss.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Egon's kind of a weird character in that he manages to do the straight-laced, almost Spock-like weird scientist thing and does it so drat right. And it's nearly impossible to tell how much is him legitimately being weird and how much is taking the piss

Taking the piss. You British people, I swear...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

sponges posted:

Taking the piss. You British people, I swear...

It's a legitimate sample collection. Back off, man, he's a scientist.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

Egon's kind of a weird character in that he manages to do the straight-laced, almost Spock-like weird scientist thing and does it so drat right. And it's nearly impossible to tell how much is him legitimately being weird and how much is taking the piss.

Ramis was just an incredibly talented comedic actor. Probably almost underrated just because of how much he kinda became Egon in the minds of millions of kids that never really saw him as an actor doing a performance at all.

The other guys too though, it's a huge part of what made the film so beloved. Their characters are extremely genuine(well, for Venkman that means he's genuinely an rear end in a top hat, but he's loveable because it never feels forced.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

Ramis was just an incredibly talented comedic actor. Probably almost underrated just because of how much he kinda became Egon in the minds of millions of kids that never really saw him as an actor doing a performance at all.

The other guys too though, it's a huge part of what made the film so beloved. Their characters are extremely genuine(well, for Venkman that means he's genuinely an rear end in a top hat, but he's loveable because it never feels forced.)

They put a huge amount of themselves into their characters, especially Aykroyd.

They did that in other films as well. Remember that scene in stripes where Murray's character would only join the army if Ramis' character joined with him? That pretty much happened in real life - when Murray was cast as the star of the movie he insisted that Ivan Reitman bring in Ramis as well. (It was mostly so he could rewrite all his dialogue with Ramis.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Basebf555 posted:

loving Pan and Scan, is all I have to say.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

loving Pan and Scan, is all I have to say.

I always thought it was totally bizarre the film was shot that way and didn't realize for years that the version I was familiar with was pan and scan. Ridiculous.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I remember watching Ghostbusters on VHS for years, then getting the DVD and being BLOWN away by seeing everything in widescreen.

I have fond memories of borrowing a VHS tape off a friend that had both films on. I'd watch GB1, and watch through the credits, then a title would come up saying FIVE YEARS LATER then GB 2 would start.

Probably watched that every day for a whole summer. Ah, being young, eh?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Most pan and scan is just cropped with an occasional scan across the screen. I had a pan and scan version of Ghostbusters that was so bad it was like motion sickness. It would just whip back and forth.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alan_Shore posted:

I remember watching Ghostbusters on VHS for years, then getting the DVD and being BLOWN away by seeing everything in widescreen.

I have fond memories of borrowing a VHS tape off a friend that had both films on. I'd watch GB1, and watch through the credits, then a title would come up saying FIVE YEARS LATER then GB 2 would start.

I had one of those, with (bizarrely) an episode of a 1940s Batman serial inbetween the films.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I don't know if it was all the VHS copies or just the one I had, but I remember the scene where they're in the elevator at the Sedgwick didn't even pan back and forth, they just took the entire widescreen frame and smooshed it into 4:3 so their faces were all narrow

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ghostbusters was one of the first like huge must-own VHS releases wasn't it?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

The very first thing I ever recorded on VHS was the Ray Parker Jnr Ghostbusters music video so yeah, the timing was about right.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

First VHS my family ever owned was Raiders of the Lost Ark. It had a trailer for Temple of Doom before it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just remember that when I only like 5 years old my parents and I went over to another couple's house for dinner and the whole night revolved around them having Ghostbusters on VHS so everyone watched it after dinner and it seemed like it was a big deal at the time that we could do that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Basebf555 posted:

I just remember that when I only like 5 years old my parents and I went over to another couple's house for dinner and the whole night revolved around them having Ghostbusters on VHS so everyone watched it after dinner and it seemed like it was a big deal at the time that we could do that.

At that point VHS tapes were still pretty expensive, so someone throwing down for a copy probably was sort of a big deal.

The first massive VHS release was Top Gun. It was cheap at $29.99, had a massive marketing campaign, and smashed all previous VHS records based on pre-orders alone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It seems to be among the first 5 releases of every new format. It was the first DVD, Blu-ray, and 4K Blu-ray I saw.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

It seems to be among the first 5 releases of every new format. It was the first DVD, Blu-ray, and 4K Blu-ray I saw.

Makes sense... Sony is the company who tends to spearhead new formats, and GB is the shining jewel of their catalogue.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Makes sense... Sony is the company who tends to spearhead new formats, and GB is the shining jewel of their catalogue.

Yeah if you adjust for inflation then Sony/Columbia's top film is Ghostbusters with the '02 Spider-Man fairly close behind. Then comes Spider-Man 2 , Tootsie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Lawrence of Arabia way behind them and then somewhat further back comes Men in Black and The Bridge on the River Kwai. Apart from the first two Raimi Spider-Man films their recent track record has been fuckin' woeful, and by 'recent' I mean "since the 70s and 80s".

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ghostbusters 2 vhs was letterbox and pan and scan. i knew something was wrong even when i was four or whatever but could never put my finger on what.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I remember when Fox made a big deal about re-releasing some of their more popular films in widescreen on VHS. They came in plastic cases, with bronze borders around the cover art.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

ghostbusters 2 vhs was letterbox and pan and scan. i knew something was wrong even when i was four or whatever but could never put my finger on what.

Finding out what pan and scan was when I was 8 or 9 was like a divine revelation, I hadn't been insane, you really could see more of the [jungle/control room/Winston] in widescreen. And so began a life of futility, trying to explain this to my dad.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inspector Hound posted:

Finding out what pan and scan was when I was 8 or 9 was like a divine revelation, I hadn't been insane, you really could see more of the [jungle/control room/Winston] in widescreen. And so began a life of futility, trying to explain this to my dad.

Learning to embrace widescreen and the dreaded "black bars" and then trying to convince your parents it was actually better was a right of passage. Now they just get widescreen TVs anyway and would complain about vertical black bars if they tried to watch old 4:3 television.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Smooth Motion is the new black bar struggle with televisions. I must have changed a half dozen television settings this past week while visiting relatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Smooth Motion is the new black bar struggle with televisions. I must have changed a half dozen television settings this past week while visiting relatives.

Ugh the worst is the people who see this as a sign that it's even HIGHER DEF than other HD instead of the abomination it is. I overheard an in-law saying they needed to get the same TV as the one we were watching because you could tell it was much higher def.

• Locked thread