Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
1. Putting a terrified girl on the back of the bike, and 50 miles later, she hops off with a huge smile.
2. Blowing past the slow lanes on the HOV at 80mph every single workday.
3. The sudden breeze through my hair when I realize I left my helmet vents closed, and pop them open on the highway.
4. The half second of near silence when down-shifting, just before the engine roars even louder than before, and I'm nearly pulled out of the seat.
5. The way no matter what my actual speed is, it feels like I'm going somewhere around a million miles an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Raven457 posted:

In all honesty though, you are some kind of weirdo.

I'm sure I'll have some more to contribute soon as I put my GS850 on the road, but riding it around the block before agreeing to buy it gave me one of the goofiest, widest, happiest looking grins I've ever seen in a mirror. I can't wait to finish up and get riding.

Hey gently caress you buddy :)

And yeah, the idiotic-looking smile is one of the many reasons I'm happy I have a full-face helmet.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
800whp per ton never gets old.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
1. That old guy. You know the one. Riding the full dress Harley or the Goldwing. He rides the same road over and over, knows it better than anyone. He loves to bait kids on sportbikes. I followed one of these fine fellows on Highway 21 in Idaho and it was all I could do to keep him within sight distance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo Or this guy.

2. Hay fields on hot days. When they're being irrigated there's at least a 20 degree temperature drop as you ride by them.

3. Off camber up hill corkscrew turns. They produce this feeling in your stomach that's irreplaceable. They may even have to be right hand.

4. Walking down the street in your gear. Maybe you're going to get breakfast, but you'll run across some other guy in gear (in case it was a very nice Olympia once piece) who will ask you for directions to a nice local road or just sit and chat for a bit. I met a guy this morning who was doing the Ultimate Coast to Coast (Key West Florida to Deadhorse Alaska in 30 days) IBA ride. Amazing fellow, must have an rear end of steel to ride that. I'd have never met him had I not been wearing my gear.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Taelrin posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo Or this guy.
Haha holy poo poo. I love the scraping you hear on almost every corner

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Taelrin posted:

1. That old guy. You know the one. Riding the full dress Harley or the Goldwing. He rides the same road over and over, knows it better than anyone. He loves to bait kids on sportbikes. I followed one of these fine fellows on Highway 21 in Idaho and it was all I could do to keep him within sight distance

These guys own and I with there were more of them

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My dad gives me old issues of Performance Bikes, and one article was talking about the Goldwing. The writer was refueling next to a sportbike rider, who was giving him crap about riding a big ol' bus. He agreed it was a bus, then complained that the tail pipes scrape the ground too soon when you wheelie it. The sportbike rider looked at the tail pipes, swallowed hard and walked away.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
1. Riding my loaded bike past a small town's motorcycle convention in 10C weather during a thunderstorm after being on the bike for 12 hours and everyone stops what they are doing and gives me a big wave and the guy on the loudspeaker says something in French that I don't understand.
2. Getting directions to better riding routes from fellow bikers at gas stops.
3. On ramps.
4. Making mental lists of what to bring on a long trip over and over in the weeks before leaving.
5. Seeing old cruiser guys who only wave at other cruisers hesitate to wave at me because I'm wearing full gear and a full-face helmet.

This is only my first season of riding. Next season I plan to add:

6. Riding an enduro around random bush roads and trails and being completely alone in the middle of nowhere.
7. Riding a bike with foreign plates because I've left my country.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Mr. DNA posted:

5. Seeing old cruiser guys who only wave at other cruisers hesitate to wave at me because I'm wearing full gear and a full-face helmet.

Seriously, what's with the cruiser riders? A good 50% never wave back. Scooters, sportbikers, dualsports everyone waves back except for the cruisers.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

lostleaf posted:

Seriously, what's with the cruiser riders? A good 50% never wave back. Scooters, sportbikers, dualsports everyone waves back except for the cruisers.

I was always under the impression that this happens no matter what you ride. I just mentioned it because I'm on a cruiser and they get confused by my gear.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Mr. DNA posted:

I was always under the impression that this happens no matter what you ride. I just mentioned it because I'm on a cruiser and they get confused by my gear.

I get the same thing too. I've got a cruiser and wear my gear always. I've noticed that it is never the pilot that waves at me (if any cruiser riders do), it is always their passenger. No idea why.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Mr. DNA posted:

I had a dude on a new Harley roll up next to me at a stop a couple of summers ago on a blisteringly hot day. This was about a month after I wrecked the Yamaha and I was taking her out for a rebuild spin, all geared up in my scuffed leathers. So this dude rolls up next to me, short-pants, sandals, no shirt, little non-DOT skid lid and we make some small talk. Finally he asks, "Man, ain't you hot in all that poo poo?" I just smiled and turned the palms of my gloves to him so he could see the heels of my palms ground down and the scuffs all up the insides of my jacket sleeves. His eyes got all wide under his skid lid and I just smiled and said, "Yeah, I went home and hosed my wife later that night". Then the light turned and I pulled into my neighborhood. Some people...

Smile
Dec 16, 2005

BSAKat posted:

I had a dude on a new Harley roll up next to me at a stop a couple of summers ago on a blisteringly hot day. This was about a month after I wrecked the Yamaha and I was taking her out for a rebuild spin, all geared up in my scuffed leathers. So this dude rolls up next to me, short-pants, sandals, no shirt, little non-DOT skid lid and we make some small talk. Finally he asks, "Man, ain't you hot in all that poo poo?" I just smiled and turned the palms of my gloves to him so he could see the heels of my palms ground down and the scuffs all up the insides of my jacket sleeves. His eyes got all wide under his skid lid and I just smiled and said, "Yeah, I went home and hosed my wife later that night". Then the light turned and I pulled into my neighborhood. Some people...

thats kind of a weird thing to say to a stranger

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

BSAKat posted:

You should probably replace those gloves

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
This thread makes me want a bike so bad, I wish i wasn't so broke.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

whereismyshoe posted:

If you've never ridden and can find it cheap try getting a taster by signing up for an introductory bike lesson such as the MSF or CBT (in the UK)
It'll probably only make you want a bike even more

To add content:

1. The subtle things you don't notice in a car: Smells, temperature, airborne moisture, etc.
2. Being the only motherfucker bike commuting mid December, in the pissing rain.
3. Leaning the bike into high-speed corners or even quick lane changes.
4. Clutchless upshifts
5. 2nd gear

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

redscare posted:

You should probably replace those gloves

I replaced them years ago. And as for being a weird thing to say to a stranger, it was either that or ruthlessly mock him for being a loving idiot for wearing only a pair of ratty cut-offs and generic TEVA styly sandals. Obviously, I was insinuating that my gear saved me from a night in the hospital.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Already did my list but I wanna add "riding by a sign that says 'twisty scenic road ahead for 3 miles' with a 40 mph cautionary sign below it". I said "gently caress yeah!" when I saw that. Of course 25mph for 20 miles would've been unbelievably more awesome, but you can't expect much for Michigan roads.

Smile
Dec 16, 2005

BSAKat posted:

I replaced them years ago. And as for being a weird thing to say to a stranger, it was either that or ruthlessly mock him for being a loving idiot for wearing only a pair of ratty cut-offs and generic TEVA styly sandals. Obviously, I was insinuating that my gear saved me from a night in the hospital.

Or you could just answer his question or maybe engage in polite small talk. Why is your only option being an rear end in a top hat or making weird comments about loving your wife?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
1. Biker waves give me that warm fuzzy feeling
2. Cruising down the highway at dusk with the smell of freshly cut hay in the air
3. Rocking a twisty back road and meeting a fellow UJM rider in full gear doing the same thing you are, and loving it
4. Waving at kids and watching them smile
5. Having random people talk to you that wouldn't if you were driving a car

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Smile posted:

Or you could just answer his question or maybe engage in polite small talk. Why is your only option being an rear end in a top hat or making weird comments about loving your wife?

What are the top 5 things you love about riding?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Smile posted:

I thought it was funny and made his point quite well. :confused:

His point (in case you missed it) was that wearing gear saves lives and he was fine from his crash.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Smile posted:

Because goons

broadwayLamb
Apr 3, 2009

whereismyshoe posted:

I never rode when I was young, but I always thought bikes looked like fun. I eventually decided I was going to save up some money to try it out by signing up for the local Motorcycle Safety Foundation course http://www.msf-usa.org/. This gave me the opportunity to get a little instruction and a couple afternoons on a bike, and it was awesome. Definitely consider trying it out. In many states you can even get your motorcycle license through the MSF course, but regardless you will get to spend some time on a safe bike in a safe environment. It really is one of the best things I've ever done. There's nothing quite like a good ride on a motorcycle. For me, it's pretty much the most fun thing in the world.

If you really can't afford it right away don't worry, just save a little bit up at a time. There's no age limit on bikes. You can do it next year or even a decade from now. I promise you...bikes will be even more fun in the future than they already are.

tl:dr - sign up for the MSF course to get some time on a bike; you'll love it

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Mechanism Eight posted:

If you've never ridden and can find it cheap try getting a taster by signing up for an introductory bike lesson such as the MSF or CBT (in the UK)
It'll probably only make you want a bike even more

To add content:

1. The subtle things you don't notice in a car: Smells, temperature, airborne moisture, etc.
2. Being the only motherfucker bike commuting mid December, in the pissing rain.
3. Leaning the bike into high-speed corners or even quick lane changes.
4. Clutchless upshifts
5. 2nd gear

I plan on taking the MSF probably whenever I can, but right now $275 for a bike course isn't in the budget for me.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

whereismyshoe posted:

I plan on taking the MSF probably whenever I can, but right now $275 for a bike course isn't in the budget for me.

This might be a blessing in disguise because once you take the course the desire for motorcycles turns from small gnawing feeling to full fledged obsession which expands into gear obsession. It's about to spread to track obsession soon. I'm still crying over my bank account :(. I only stop crying when riding.

broadwayLamb
Apr 3, 2009

lostleaf posted:

This might be a blessing in disguise because once you take the course the desire for motorcycles turns from small gnawing feeling to full fledged obsession which expands into gear obsession. It's about to spread to track obsession soon. I'm still crying over my bank account :(. I only stop crying when riding.

Bike's need to be subsidized

Where's my Obamacycle? I would happily pay taxes for that.

Edit: this is meant as a light hearted joke not a political declaration of war.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
  1. On a hot day, when you've gotten soaked through just putting on gear and starting the bike, the feeling of the sweat burning off as you pick up speed
  2. Sputtering and almost dying on the freeway, then reaching down, flipping to reserve and coming back to life without stopping
  3. Getting passed on the inside by a really badass rider on a hairpin. It's only happened to me twice, but both times it felt like being in the presence of greatness. I guess it would be cooler to do the passing, but I'm not that ballsy on the street.
  4. Avoiding an accident and walking on air for the rest of the day. By "avoiding" I mean "my foot brushed the bumper of a car while swerving around it when it rear ended another car and their rear end kicked out". (Even better: avoiding an accident and seeing MI:2 that night. Not a good movie, but thinking to myself "I did that this morning" was fun.)
  5. Wrenching. Whatever it is, it's incredibly satisfying to go for a ride when it's done and feel the difference.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
1. Riding at night in a forest with other riders and seeing the headlights reflecting off of the leaves up on the branches.
2. Riding at 2AM in the city when it was 95+ degrees earlier in the day.
3. That kinda smug feeling you get when a new rider (squid or new harley guy is best) finds out that you've been riding for 20+ years.
4. The call of the wild you feel when a bunch of sportbikes with aftermarket pipes go hauling down the road.
5. The purest shiver down your spine when a Ducati drives between two city buildings.

Smile
Dec 16, 2005

blugu64 posted:

What are the top 5 things you love about riding?

since i was apparently sounding like a negative nancy:
1. even going to the grocery store is fun because you can accelerate around everywhere you go
2. riding a bike is relaxing and puts me in a better mood
3. the gas mileage is cool
4. dunno it's just fun
5. ?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
1. Riding through a quiet city with sunset fading into night and feeling like I'm living Hang-On
2. Spotting a long hole in traffic two lanes over and actually having the size and energy necessary to get there
3. Ruining a mom's day by waving to her kids and revving the engine
4. Decently fitting motorcycle gear feels like home, especially in the dead of February when you haven't worn it in months
5. Honking down out of the mountains and feeling everything get warmer

e: Honorable mention: guessing people's intentions in traffic and being proved right. Even better is when it manifests as spider-sense, you're not sure who's going to do something stupid but sure enough someone does and you're three steps ahead of them

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 18, 2009

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Phy posted:

e: Honorable mention: guessing people's intentions in traffic and being proved right. Even better is when it manifests as spider-sense, you're not sure who's going to do something stupid but sure enough someone does and you're three steps ahead of them

Ha, I've picked this up too. I'm rarely surprised by drivers antics these days, even when I'm not the person driving.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

1. Lane Splitting
2. Lane Splitting
3. Lane Splitting
4. Easy parking
5. Being next to a 100k+ car and having the kid in the car/sidewalk wave at you

I know lane splitting is a hot topic but I would get so frustrated if I couldn't do it. (Legally, at least). Being able to scoot by that 2 mile backed up college traffic and all other traffic is awesome. Not talking about splitting at 80 mph on the freeway.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Christoff posted:

Lane Splitting

:argh: Curse you Californians!

To be fair, I think in most big cities with heavy heavy traffic you'll probably get away with it okay as long as you're not being a massive squid. Riding around NYC I think I went like an hour without ever NOT lane-splitting (6pm friday night traffic), and there seemed to be plenty of other people doing it as well.

I just got told off by a cop in Portland for doing it. Was splitting through stopped traffic on the highway (accident up ahead) and ended up splitting right by a squad car. I yell "poo poo" to myself inside my helmet, and pull into the lane next to the cop. When I look over my shoulder at him, I see him with his arm outstretched wagging his finger at me. I wave gratefully and didn't split again that day. :)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I generally follow the lane splitting guidelines I heard before I started riding. I'll split in traffic that's traveling up to around 40-50 mph, but usually not more than that. And I won't go more than about 10-15 mph faster than the traffic around me, in fact usually much less unless its on the highway. I was passed by a couple guys yesterday on the 210 that were splitting when traffic was cruising along just fine at like 70.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Tsaven Nava posted:

:argh: Curse you Californians!

To be fair, I think in most big cities with heavy heavy traffic you'll probably get away with it okay as long as you're not being a massive squid.

I am fairly certain doing this in Boston would get you killed within a few minutes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sirbeefalot posted:

I generally follow the lane splitting guidelines I heard before I started riding. I'll split in traffic that's traveling up to around 40-50 mph, but usually not more than that. And I won't go more than about 10-15 mph faster than the traffic around me, in fact usually much less unless its on the highway. I was passed by a couple guys yesterday on the 210 that were splitting when traffic was cruising along just fine at like 70.

If you think about it logically, while there's a huge increase in travel speed if you're splitting at 15mph through stopped traffic, you get some pretty serious diminishing returns when you're splitting at 55 through 40mph traffic, in exchange for a lot of additional risk.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I am fairly certain doing this in Boston would get you killed within a few minutes.

I'm more referring to the legality of it, not the personal danger to yourself from doing it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

If you think about it logically, while there's a huge increase in travel speed if you're splitting at 15mph through stopped traffic, you get some pretty serious diminishing returns when you're splitting at 55 through 40mph traffic, in exchange for a lot of additional risk.

Definitely. Most of the time I'll just fall in line whenever traffic moves again, but sometimes I just get impatient. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Tsaven Nava posted:

I'm more referring to the legality of it, not the personal danger to yourself from doing it.

Ahh, I took you literally.

• Locked thread