Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

I love riding on lovely wet days in the spring because you get to see all the fair weather cowards wobbling around in a fright because it shouldn't be bucketing down in November and it's 'riding season' and this is most inappropriate and completely unacceptable as it may cause me to drop my ducati :monocle:

Bro, my open clutch cover might get water in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I also love the poo poo out of new tires. My god. It's like having a new bike. Also, I don't feel like I'm going to die going around corners in the rain, now. A++ will buy new tires again.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe
lovely wet weather, high winds, temperatures hovering right at the frozen-water point .. for some reason, all this really gets me going. I just love riding in these conditions.

I don't know what's wrong with me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

Bro, my open clutch cover might get water in it.

Nah dude that's just water cooling for your clutch.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

O'riginal posted:

lovely wet weather, high winds, temperatures hovering right at the frozen-water point .. for some reason, all this really gets me going. I just love riding in these conditions.

I don't know what's wrong with me.

I remember going somewhere at like ten at night and it was bucketing down and my gear was of the distinctly not-waterproof variety. After ten minutes of misery, I resigned myself to being drenched and realised it's actually really pleasant for some reason. So you aren't the only one.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I love riding in the rain, I prefer it to really hot days even. My jacket is water resistant which will hold up for a good 45 minutes or so in your average downpour, even once it breaks through if you don't get all upset about being wet when you're outside in the rain, it's quite nice. Plus it's a good chance to practise being butter smooth with everything.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
Good gear makes riding in poo poo weather not that bad and also confuses the hell out of people. I love sitting there at a stop in a downpour just calmly looking around like nothing is up because helmet and aerostich and goretex gloves and boots. I get less wet riding to work than the people who drive because I don't unseal anything until I get under cover.

Riding with heated gear when its cold as poo poo owns too because you get to look down at the pathetic fools shivering in their SUVs waiting for the heat to kick in. And they think you're the crazy one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shimrod posted:

I love riding in the rain, I prefer it to really hot days even. My jacket is water resistant which will hold up for a good 45 minutes or so in your average downpour, even once it breaks through if you don't get all upset about being wet when you're outside in the rain, it's quite nice. Plus it's a good chance to practise being butter smooth with everything.

You mean practice backing it into corners and spinning the rear up. :)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Those rides where even though you may do it every day, for some reason everything just clicks. You feel amazing, the bike feels amazing, and for some reason you're smoother than ever. It's like meditation but not boring.

Also, getting cut off and instead of getting mad, just saying "punch it chewie!" And pinning it in third to fly past them.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I love riding when it's cold - for some reason it feels awesome putting on a ton of warm heavy gear - feels like I am a space marine or something. Awesome to be the only rider around and when you see another in mid december/january in NY you become instant cold riderbros. I just picked up heated gloves and holy crap, I'm gonna ride all winter in luxury and comfort. Last year I had paper thin leather vented gloves and riding around when it was sub 40F was lovely as hell, had to warm up my hands on the crankcase at stop lights.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Riding the bike in to work after a few days of crappy weather and driving the truck, hitting the onramp and thinking "oh yea, this is what I've been missing" while accelerating to extra-limit velocities.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Good gear makes riding in poo poo weather not that bad and also confuses the hell out of people. I love sitting there at a stop in a downpour just calmly looking around like nothing is up because helmet and aerostich and goretex gloves and boots. I get less wet riding to work than the people who drive because I don't unseal anything until I get under cover.

Riding with heated gear when its cold as poo poo owns too because you get to look down at the pathetic fools shivering in their SUVs waiting for the heat to kick in. And they think you're the crazy one.

I just wish my helmet wouldn't get water on the inside of the visor. I wouldn't mimd rainstorms if I could see.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Drove my truck in city traffic today because I had to bring a keg home.

Good reminder of why I love my bike.

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

saying "punch it chewie!" And pinning it in third to fly past them.

Adding this to my list of poo poo I say to myself. Features highlights such as Hodgetwins' 'gently caress out de way' and Nick Frost's yeah boi from shaun of the dead

WreckSov fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 7, 2014

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

WreckSov posted:

Adding this to my list of poo poo I say to myself. Features highlights such as Hodgetwins' 'gently caress out de way' and Nick Frost's yeah boi from shaun of the dead

"Warp speed Mr sulu" is another constant.

And also weaving in the lane singing "mooove bitch get out the way" in traffic.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I just ride with dis on repeat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfjbe4RKbwQ

2 fast 4 y'all mang

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Amen on cold weather riderbros. Though, getting older it seems every year it's one degree higher where I say, "gently caress it" and take the car.

I like the first morning after a really, really rainy day. That was today where I live; beautiful morning and on two wheels.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 7, 2014

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

It especially fucks with their heads to see a guy in Aerostich on a cruiser. :-D

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Despite riding daily for years, today was the first time I've ridden through hail on the motorway. It was quite painful, like being shot with a thousand BB guns. For some reason I really enjoyed it! People were looking at me like I was on fire.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Slavvy posted:

Despite riding daily for years, today was the first time I've ridden through hail on the motorway. It was quite painful, like being shot with a thousand BB guns. For some reason I really enjoyed it! People were looking at me like I was on fire.

HAIL DAMAGE CLAIM.

I swear, that rusted crease wasn't there yesterday.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
For the last 2 days we've enjoyed high winds (winds from around 20-45mph, lots of gusts). We rode in it last night and it was awesome. No, for real! I mean, yeah, it was freaky, but for half an hour (each way, because our power was out and we needed dinner) in ~30F degree weather with winds physically moving my bike, it was supremely awesome.

We saw another crazy bastard on a bike out, too. High fives all around.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

For the last 2 days we've enjoyed high winds (winds from around 20-45mph, lots of gusts). We rode in it last night and it was awesome. No, for real! I mean, yeah, it was freaky, but for half an hour (each way, because our power was out and we needed dinner) in ~30F degree weather with winds physically moving my bike, it was supremely awesome.

We saw another crazy bastard on a bike out, too. High fives all around.

You know, maybe that's it .. we revel in being crazy. I'm gonna go with that, sounds better than being stupid or foolish.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
gently caress it. My older brother says I'm doing my mid-life crisis, but I think I'm just finally getting the opportunity (good job, better pay, secure home situation) to embrace the need for speed I had as a teenager. Back when I was rockin' an '82 Corolla that had 100K+ miles on it. I wanted to do corners, I just couldn't. Now I can!

Plus, bad weather riding is really fun. I find myself laughing like a loon every time it gets worse. Hail, you say? Bring it. Oh it's raining so hard that visibility is basically 10'? Hell yeah!

I guess it's probable that I'll be struck down for tempting fate, but my tombstone can say "DIED DOING WHAT SHE LOVED."

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Lynza posted:

gently caress it. My older brother says I'm doing my mid-life crisis, but I think I'm just finally getting the opportunity (good job, better pay, secure home situation) to embrace the need for speed I had as a teenager. Back when I was rockin' an '82 Corolla that had 100K+ miles on it. I wanted to do corners, I just couldn't. Now I can!

Plus, bad weather riding is really fun. I find myself laughing like a loon every time it gets worse. Hail, you say? Bring it. Oh it's raining so hard that visibility is basically 10'? Hell yeah!

I guess it's probable that I'll be struck down for tempting fate, but my tombstone can say "DIED DOING WHAT SHE LOVED."

:black101:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Truly serene, relaxed riding comes once you accept you might die doing it, and you're okay with it. Worse ways to go, I'd just hope it's quick and not going off some backroad and being broken for hours.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Truly serene, relaxed riding comes once you accept you might die doing it, and you're okay with it. Worse ways to go, I'd just hope it's quick and not going off some backroad and being broken for hours.

Top 5 things that you love the poo poo out of while riding.

1. Death. So glamorous when it's quick!

I intend to die at age 90 of some old-man poo poo. Like gout or something. gently caress dying on a motorbike when I'm still able to ride a motorbike.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Top 5 things that you love the poo poo out of while riding.

1. Death. So glamorous when it's quick!

I intend to die at age 90 of some old-man poo poo. Like gout or something. gently caress dying on a motorbike when I'm still able to ride a motorbike.

I intend to die at the age of 90 on a motorbike.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Lynza posted:

I can't ride in poo poo weather until I get new tires.

I had a gust of wind hydroplane me into the next lane with the fork completely straight...nope.

Before they got really bad it was great. Got poured on on my way back from lunch and everyone just laughed at me as the front of me is soaked and the back is bone dry.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Backwards and on fire.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Phy posted:

Backwards and on fire.

From cleavage suffocation.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Death by snu-snu

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think it was someone in CA who said he was at the track when some elderly gent rider had a heart attack at some point and just rode into a barricade; likely dead before he crashed. Going out as an old man on a race track isn't the worst way to go.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I like looking at my long silhouette when the sun is low to remind me that I have an upright dork posture and should tuck in a little bit

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MoraleHazard posted:

I think it was someone in CA who said he was at the track when some elderly gent rider had a heart attack at some point and just rode into a barricade; likely dead before he crashed. Going out as an old man on a race track isn't the worst way to go.

Z3n said he has been there (or had friends?) for that twice.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I like looking at my long silhouette when the sun is low to remind me that I have an upright dork posture and should tuck in a little bit

Yeah, I love looking at my shadow when I ride. I just look so COOL in my shadow. Totally unlike how I look in actual real life.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MoraleHazard posted:

One dude was getting up there (late 70s), the other was mid 40s :(

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Being an upright dork is all in the mind.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lynza posted:

Yeah, I love looking at my shadow when I ride. I just look so COOL in my shadow. Totally unlike how I look in actual real life.

We can crouch if we want to
we can leave your friends behind
because your friends don't ride
and if they don't ride then
they're no friends of mine.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

We can crouch if we want to
we can leave your friends behind
because your friends don't ride
and if they don't ride then
they're no friends of mine.

Men without helmets I see

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I love you, HotCanadianChick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Ugh, Don't encourage him.

• Locked thread