Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
I ride my motorcycle at night
so I can so I can
Watch you swerve and weave between the lines
HEY
Don't switch lanes for that fast food chain, oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
And you already know that I love you, Marv Hushman.

Going to go pick up a new mirror today. Yay!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

so I can so I can
HEY

Don't switch the blade on the guy in leather; oh no
Don't masquerade with the guy in leather;
(oh no) (I can't believe it)
You got it made with the guy in leather; oh no

?

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Marv Hushman posted:

so I can so I can
HEY

"BRING THA MOTHERFUCKIN RUCKUS"

*Scoots back to moped thread*

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Shift down for what

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
And I saw my reflection
In an oil covered turn
till a high side brought me down.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If I am riding somewhere with a lot of pedestrians I enjoy taking both hands of the bars and pretending I've lost control of the bike. (Obviously I'm factoring in traffic, space between the bike and the sidewalk, etc. It isn't like I do this on Market St in downtown SF)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Chichevache posted:

If I am riding somewhere with a lot of pedestrians I enjoy taking both hands of the bars and pretending I've lost control of the bike. (Obviously I'm factoring in traffic, space between the bike and the sidewalk, etc. It isn't like I do this on Market St in downtown SF)
Yuuuuup. Two of my fondest bike memories are waving with both hands while passing an Amish buggy, and behind a schoolbus full of little kids. :3:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chichevache posted:

Missed opportunity, bro.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Uh, dumb question, but don't you have to worry about engine braking when you take both hands off the bars?

My bike is super-engine-brake-happy.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

captainOrbital posted:

Uh, dumb question, but don't you have to worry about engine braking when you take both hands off the bars?

You either don't leave your hands off the bars for long or you have a throttle lock.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

If you're on a downward slope you can ride with no hands for quite a while.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Slavvy posted:

If you're on a downward slope you can ride with no hands for quite a while.
Yep, this. And the little 248cc p-twin doesn't do much engine-anything either way. :shobon:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My heavy-cranked, lean-tuned bike will pretty much coast forever if I don't touch the throttle or start uphill.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

captainOrbital posted:

Not all are, i4s don't engine brake as hard as v-twins. Mine will practically throw me over the bars if I were to cut the throttle.

Or this. I keep one in my tailbag.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'll just crank up the choke. My bike barely engine-brakes at all when the choke is on.*

* If it's colder than 80 degrees out.

Edit: Celsius.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tanbo posted:

Not all are, i4s don't engine brake as hard as v-twins. Mine will practically throw me over the bars if I were to cut the throttle.

Or this. I keep one in my tailbag.

It's funny, I was just wondering if something even stupider than a normal throttle lock existed and now I know that it does, because they've managed to make something that not only stops your throttle closing in an emergency but also potentially interferes with the front brake lever! What a time to be alive!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So basically it clamps around the throttle and rests against the brake lever? So when you pull the brake lever back the clamp thing will get pushed back and open the throttle further?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Looks like it rests on top of the brake lever. So assuming you're not a complete moron when you go to brake you'd roll the throttle back slightly with your hand to disengage the clip. I don't see how it would impact your ability to actually engage the brake unless you wedged it behind the lever like an idiot.

Still looks like a real dumb design though.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's funny, I was just wondering if something even stupider than a normal throttle lock existed and now I know that it does, because they've managed to make something that not only stops your throttle closing in an emergency but also potentially interferes with the front brake lever! What a time to be alive!

Lol try one. It just rests on the brake lever with a bit of tension. It's easier to roll the throttle off than to get it locked in the right place, and it doesn't interfere with the brake at all.

Edit: oh jesus look, my bike is about to take off!

nsaP fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 17, 2015

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

nsaP posted:

Lol try one. It just rests on the brake lever with a bit of tension. It's easier to roll the throttle off than to get it locked in the right place, and it doesn't interfere with the brake at all.

I used one on the last long trip I took and somehow managed not to die. It looks less fiddly to set than the one my friend was using, if a little less exact. Works fine for giving you a chance to rest your right hand on the highway. I remember being a little concerned it'd open the throttle when I was braking but it's a pretty minor thing and I'm generally consciously holding the throttle closed while braking anyway.

Are the rest of you also in the camp that's terrified of taking one of your hands off the bars to operate a bluetooth headset?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If your motorcycle doesn't have electronic cruise control, you're in the scrub/ready to race tier.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It doesn't grip the throttle hard at all, just barely enough to keep it open.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Ya, I have one of those "throttle locks" and it's brilliant. Easy to use and doesn't interfere.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
People who use thottle locks are sissies, because sissies are ninnies are yellow-bellied milquetoast are weak-willed pansies are sissies. That is you. Sissy. :colbert::america::gunfire::some lady in the background whispery loudly "oh my god":

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm trying to picture your braking technique. Do you let go of the throttle and only touch the lever when you're on the brakes?

Those throttle locks are fine. They look completely dorky but I wouldn't be worried about using one because contrary to popular belief I have a brain cell in my head that works and that's about all you need to safely operate it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Shut up.

Favourite thing about riding number N:

Riding a filthy KTM with a dark visor, machine-gun intake noise and distant-artillery decel pops and being as polite and considerate as possible.

I love watching people faces as they have to change mid-disapproving-rolleyes to sudden surprised gratitude when I stop to let them cross/pull out/whatever.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I was driving the other day with the window down and my arm out when a dude rode by me on a zx6r. Gave him the wave as he was coming up and he actually returned it. Felt pretty awesome getting one back while in a car!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I remember riding my ninja past a guy in his driveway who was washing his R1. He gave me the nod.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Guy on some thumper sounding CBR looking thing gave me a hang loose.

Hang loose broken sounding bike guy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wow, I love that Honda makes an engine so stout it still runs even when it sounds broken to a Buell rider.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It was probably a CB500.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
When your back tire breaks loose in a corner and you recover. :rock:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Chichevache posted:

When your back tire breaks loose in a corner and you recover. :rock:

I back it in, MM-style, to every corner.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

I back it in, MM-style, to every corner.

I don't know how to back it in, but I do shift gears in corners just to feel the bike slip a bit. I should probably try breaking that habit before getting a liter bike. :sigh:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chichevache posted:

I don't know how to back it in, but I do shift gears in corners just to feel the bike slip a bit. I should probably try breaking that habit before getting a liter bike. :sigh:

On one hand, yes.

On the other hand, I4s don't tend to have as strong of an engine braking effect as thumpers and also literbikes are usually geared ridiculously tall which reduces the effect even further. So go hog wild, maybe.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HotCanadianChick posted:

On one hand, yes.

On the other hand, I4s don't tend to have as strong of an engine braking effect as thumpers and also literbikes are usually geared ridiculously tall which reduces the effect even further. So go hog wild, maybe.

I'm shifting up to accelerate in the corner, not shifting to down to brake.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The ZRX would spin the rear going first to second and second to third if you were even slightly leaned over.

What I'm saying is you need a mediocre handling bike with heaps of torque.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

The ZRX would spin the rear going first to second and second to third if you were even slightly leaned over.

What I'm saying is you need a mediocre handling bike with heaps of torque.

Spin the rear? As in rotate the entire bike?:hawaaaafap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The exact memory that I think of when I try to remember the sensation:

There is a roundabout a couple of km from my house. If you are travelling straight through it, in a certain direction, there is a ripple in the gentle cone shape of the roundabout as you go over the halfway point. I think it's because buses do u-turns there, in the same direction, dozens of times a day as there's a bus station just up the road that they have to stop at then turn around to go the other way.

When you ride over it on a reasonably grunty bike, if you change gears just so the rear spins up and slides around to the left in that ripple. The ZRX could do it just rolling on in second or third, like a v8 muscle car. Fun times.

• Locked thread