Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I would think that with enough practice, this wouldn't be so difficult. He mentioned using small jpeg format. If you take a bunch of small resolution pictures and put them together, do they form a normal full resolution shot eventually? I mean if he does this for clients, I assume that it blows up to a 8x12 nicely.

I'd say that's the idea exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LuisX posted:

Meh, I think it will take 1-3 seconds per frame, so you are looking at 20 to 180 seconds per subject. Which in all honesty not too bad either.

On a high-end digital camera, it's definitely not going to take 3 seconds per frame.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bobfather posted:

Shooting tiny planets is easy by the way. It takes all of about 20 seconds to go fully manual (including manual focus), orient yourself correctly and snap all the shots you need. If you're going to shoot one with a fish, give yourself plenty of overlap so that when you remove the distortion from your images your software has plenty of area to line up.

I know they're cliche by this point, but would you mind walking through the process? I've never done it and I bet my sister would find it cool.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bobfather posted:

Sure. If you're doing a landscape:

Cloudy days with diffuse light are the best. It could work with strong, even light.

Set to full manual and set your depth of field, ISO and shutter speed. If the light is even, it won't matter where you meter your light. Set your camera to get a proper exposure. Set your camera to manual focus and put focus to infinity.

A tripod with a panorama mount would be easiest, but you can get away with handholding if you're very, very careful.

I handhold my camera and shoot a frame. Rotate 30-45 degrees from your original position and shoot another frame. Your goal is at least 30-40% overlap between each picture. Do this until you come back around.

Then use your software of choice to stitch the images into a panorama and bend the image into a little planet.

Haha, I didn't realize it was just a remapped panorama. That's kinda awesome, thanks.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yerrs, thinking about it, it is a bit of a silly omission - 'if you need it, buy our flash-head for $$$', I suspect.

Cheers :)

Didn't go so bad:

http://is.gd/4nBv8

http://is.gd/4nAD1

http://is.gd/4nDdq

(though looking at the eye catchlights, these might have been with the flash on the camera rather than with the curly-cord extension)

Linked to the full pic rather than the thumbnail page because it was 4am when I finished Lightrooming :o:
Really liking the first two, especially the vintage feel of the second.