Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'd say that the noise from a higher ISO could be used to give a photo a grittier / dirtier look. With black and white it can definitely give a specific vibe, especially if the scene is dark or high contrast.

This advice is good but kind of falls into “knowing the rules in order to break them.” Thankfully with digital cameras it’s a lot easier to experiment, but it’s best to get the basics of exposure and metering down before trying this.

That said, having a “basic setting” in mind is a good way to start. If you want to freeze action, 1/200 or so is a good place to put the shutter, and you adjust aperture around that; or the opposite, putting your aperture at something like f/8 or f/10 to make sure much of the image is in focus, and adjusting shutter and ISO to expose properly. But in daylight, you should be able to use either at ISO 200 or 400 and not be too severely grainy with your images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh jeez, i was trying 1/1000 and 500 today because of lots of bright sunlight. Are those pictures going to be really dim?

Honestly depends on the speed of your film (ISO), the aperture, and how bright it was. They might be okay! Or they might look like a cave at night.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Skizzzer posted:

i'm going on a kayaking trip in august. looking for a cheap camera that's going to be okay considering the wet conditions. is the fujifilm disposable camera okay? maybe i'll pick up 3-4: https://www.amazon.ca/Fujifilm-QuickSnap-Waterproof-Single-Camera/dp/B00004TWM6

alternatively i see fujifilm has a line of waterproof digital cameras, which i don't mind shelling out for...

The Fujifilm waterproof/shock proof point-and-shoots seem like good value if you want decent photos from something that can survive a drop or two or getting wet. Plus they’re around $200 or so, which is peanuts in photo money.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You’re absolutely right, and you might as well go polish up the “I told you so” for when this guy comes back to the group and complains about getting suplexed by a CNN video guy who’s there to actually work.

The last thing you want to do as little baby media is get in the way of the experienced guys. Same for photo/video as for people in the writing pack. Lacking that sort of objectivity and understanding will get you mauled.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

um excuse me posted:

When I go to Lime Rock Park to watch cars go fast, I notice the official photographers in their high vis jackets kind of meander around with hilarious camera set ups that make me think they're just people who greased some palms.

Japan is the opposite, when I've gone to Fuji Speedway for Super GT there were banks of dudes with $10,000+ worth of gear in the general crowd, it's hilarious.

and yeah same as with sports, you have to apply for those positions and (in theory) be an actual working journalist/press in order to get that photo bib.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

no problems downloading from the Flickr app into the Photos app on iOS whatsoever.

for my purposes I'm still frustrated Fujifilm's camera app broke itself on the rocks of the iOS 13 upgrade, and still hasn't been fixed. No way to send photos to my phone at the moment. Ah well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ehud posted:

The "my first DSLR" thread is archived, so I'm gonna ask here. Please let me know if there is a better place.

My wife has an old Nikon D80 with a kit lens. I picked it up this week and started playing around. I'm having fun! I guess this camera is about 13 years old now. If I'm serious about moving forward as a hobbyist, am I wasting my time learning fundamentals on this D80? Have there been enough advances in DSLRs that I should think about buying something newer?

To build on what others said: just go shoot. It was a step above the entry level when new, and should still be able to take good-looking photos even now. Just don’t expect it to be great at night or in the dark.

Go get a 50 mm f/1.8 lens or a 35 mm f/1.8 lens and have fun. Take a few thousand shots and you’ll know where you need to improve the gear.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ehud posted:

So a used version of this may be my best all-around newbie lens upgrade?

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-Focus-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0

It’s a good one to start with.

If you have a 17-50 zoom lens on the camera now, it should have markings that indicate when you’re zoomed to both 35 and 50. Use it and think about which you’d like the most. In photo hobby money, $200 is nothing, but that’s once you’re far down the rabbit hole.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

Shutter speed might be too low even for a wide fast lens in low light.

yep. and for that level of low light, you'll want to drop ISO to 400 or 800, so you can get either more sharpness by stopping down to f/4 or so, or from faster shutter speed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

yeah go for the X-T30, it's almost as much in a smaller and cheaper package. X-T30 should come with its dedicated battery charger but will also work plugged in ala a smartphone via USB-C (I have the X-T20 and it uses an older plug but still works perfectly with an iPhone or iPad power wall wart, makes travel so much easier now).

Fujifilm is good stuff and there are plenty of lenses for this family of cameras at various price points, from "good" ($350-500) all the way to "real photo money" ($1000-plus). So save a bit on the camera itself and shift towards having a second or third lens option.

Best beginner options for lenses are the 18-55 f/2.8-4, or the 23/2, 35/2 or 50/2 prime lenses (non-zoom but wider, super sharp and fast autofocus).

also the X-T3 and X-T30 don't just use USB-C for data, many current cameras can send photos via wifi/Bluetooth to smartphones or tablets. another option to take your wonderfully artsy baby photos and send them to friends easily.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I would guess that's all GoPro because they're more weatherproof and smaller. The X-T30 is "small" but it's not exactly GoPro/action camera sized.

GoPros are good for that sort of purpose, while weatherproof sports compact cameras like Fuji's XP1xx series might be a good alternative (and are $150-$250, which is not much in $photobux).

You might be best served with a X-T30 for taking-nice-photos times, and getting a cheaper GoPro to take on the water if you want videos like the sample given. If you want to just take photos while out on the boat, maybe be serious about keeping the nice camera in a waterproof bag?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Easychair Bootson posted:

Anybody else expecting Fuji to do a big sale very soon? I’m sure they’re catching up on X-T4 and X100V demand but I’m expecting deals on lenses and probably the X-T30 and X-T3.

I think they -- and everyone else -- is going to be staring down the barrel of parts supply shortages and having to keep workers at home due to the pandemic.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I just pulled my 60D out for the first time in a while recently and it feels massive compared to my Fuji X-T20. Take a look at Sony, Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic (Lumix) mirrorless cameras.

If it’s for family stuff and you value size, you don’t need a full-frame mirrorless. That way money pits lie.

If it’s just for family stuff, options for the above brands should be able to replace both the camera and camcorder with one device. The quality of video (including 1080p and 4K for most all) is also incredible and very usable, much more so than the 60D had.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

For D60 guy there is also the option of... canon apsc mirrorless. If keeping the lenses is important. An M5 or M50 are both pretty cheap these days. The native zooms suck though; with the exception of like one or two fixed-focal-length lenses the EOS M lens lineup is dogshit. You’d be buying an adapter and using existing D60 lenses for the most part, but the camera itself will be tiny.

D60 ain’t a Canon :ninja:

The one thing to keep in mind is that mirrorless cameras are built 100% around the live view mode — even the ones with viewfinders, those are small screens instead of looking through the physical lens. That means generally “what you see is what you get” — and it’s also much, much faster to respond than the 60D in its Live View mode is.

Also helps that video modes kick rear end on the newer models too. Just a simple turn of the dial to video mode and you can shoot very easily. It’ll be different from what you’ve grown used to, but a M43 or Fuji could easily replace your current tools.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Holy poo poo :pwn:

Ah, I see now they released a D60 in 2002. But that was the predecessor to the 10D and then Nikon named one of their entry DSLRs the D60, so its not exactly a commonly thought of Canon.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nobody mentioned Flickr yet? The Pro level is still good value.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I've had Pro for long enough that I've forgotten about it. Does the free version still come with 1TB of storage? That should be enough for 25K photos, no?

1,000 photos now for non-Pro users. Pro is $60 a year, and that’s unlimited full-resolution photos. It’s not a bad consumer-grade option.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

huhu posted:

If I remember correctly, the CEO of Flickr begged people to give them money. I wouldn't count on them for long term storage.

right, it was saying "we need more members to make this part of the business profitable as it is," and I can see them starting to soak the transit nerds uploading RAW files.

but they're owned by a company that makes other photo products, so it's one part passion play, and also combined with a business that should do decent markups on what it sells (customized mugs with your photo! prints and photo books!) and integrates well with what Flickr is.

I'm less nervous now than when Yahoo looked like a sinking ship. If the difference between now and 2009 is $10 per year to keep 20,000+ photos backed up, then that's not the worst thing to happen, and that is for a service which also has a pretty good smartphone app.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Ok looks like we are getting the X-T3 to do baby and sailing photography

It looks like a couple people sell an aluminum thumb rest for the camera family that plugs into the hot shoe, is this worth looking at getting

Anything else I should look at getting? If I have a tripod somewhere, it's a piece of poo poo $19.95 model from walmart and it's at the bottom of my storage unit

If you’re getting the X-T3 it can take two SD cards, so be sure to get good quality ones. It’s an area where cheaping out can cause problems.

Otherwise really the idea is to take photos and figure out what you need and want from there.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 14, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LiterallyATomato posted:

Forgive me if there's a better thread for this but are there any Pacific NW goons here?

I live near Seattle but am just about the only Washingtonian who has never been to Portland. I will be in Portland on Wednesday next week, and was wondering what might be some good photo spots? I like landscapes and urban landscapes, as well as photos of people.

As for time of day, I get into town around 10:00, am busy for lunch, then have free time from about 1:00 to 5:00. I have a car to get around, but am also dragging my wife everywhere with me so I can't hit too many different places because I'm sure there will be time spent shopping sales-tax-free as well as an obligatory trip to Powell's Books.

Thanks in advance.

Easiest thing to add into that plan is Waterfront Park, to get the river and bridges and such in there. Downtown from Powell’s to the river is a colorful and good spot to catch street photos as well. If you have enough time to get up to the Washington Park Rose Garden it’s also a great spot to get wider landscape shots of the city from up high.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I guess what I should be asking is how far into photography can I go with just an iPhone 13 Pro Max?

I mean, it takes nice pictures, let’s you share them, and you can get those photos off your camera to print if you’d like.

Learning how to compose a photo doesn’t take into effect what you’re using, the rules always apply. Apps like Halide can unlock more fine-tuning and manual control, but it’s still all on a glass slate of a phone.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You’ll also want to be careful going from inside to outside and vice-versa with cameras, probably a lower risk than with high heat and humidity but still something to keep in mind.

Camera bags you can keep it in when you don’t want to carry on your shoulder are also good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

huhu posted:

I've got 20,000ish photos across many years which I manage with Lightroom and store in Google drive. Sometimes when I want to pull up a photo in conversation, on my phone, I go diving through folders trying to find it. My folders are currently organized by locations and events (jobs I've worked at, road trips, etc ). Curious if anyone has suggestions for improving this process so it doesn't take forever.

Put year/month at the front of the folder name so you can sort that way? That’s usually what I do for my cold storage and my Flickr account.

Speaking of!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Similar vein:

Is flickr worth it?

If you want to host a lot of photos on Not Google or Amazon or Facebook, with a decent mobile app, and built-in management in the CMS on things like Wordpress…it’s good. I pay for the unlimited as a storage option, and then use something like Wordpress for actual publishing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lily Catts posted:

Yeah it does seem like entry-level DSLRs are not worth it... except at that price point they offer a viewfinder while mirrorless models won't.

DSLRs aren’t going to have great (or many) autofocus points at that level. I think my 60D had 9 points, while both mirrorless cameras I have had were >2/3 of the sensor coverage easily. It’s a big difference, even on the mirrorless cameras without separate viewfinders.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

torgeaux posted:

The biggest advantage will always be sensor size. There's a lot software can accomplish, from noise reduction to providing some out of focus areas, but tiny sensors are inherently limited.

Yep. I think the math is that APS-C is something like 9x bigger than the current iPhone sensors? And that’s “just” APS-C, so to full frame 35mm equivalent and then to Fuji’s medium res/other medium res it’s even greater.

Glass is another point, even the mid-range of “slightly slow” glass for mirrorless/DSLR has to be better than what’s packed into a phone size.

Apple and others are doing a ton to update computational photography, and the iPhone/smart phone is a real shift in photography, but there are some things the dedicated tools still do better.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

f/8 and be there but actually f/11 because I don't trust my AF.

This is the best post in the last couple pages tbh.

Along with Megabound’s advice to shoot aperture priority and see how the settings and images change. That’s a good way to get comfortable with the three main elements and also what different aperture settings (wide open vs stopped down) will do.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Maybe I'll buy a new DSLR, but for now, I'm going to just be lazy and shoot with an iPhone. I have a 7 right now, so I could really use some upgrading.

I don't really post here so I'm not sure how hostile this forum is to smartphone cameras, but if anyone uses them, opinions on the 12 Pro/13 Pro/rumored 14 cameras?

If you’re upgrading from an iPhone 7, the newer phone cameras are going to feel like absolute witchcraft. The Pros all have three lenses to provide a tele, normal and wide, whereas the non-Pro iPhones since the XS have had a normal and wide (the XS had a normal and tele combo).

Wouldn’t recommend a 12 Pro unless you get an absolute screaming deal on one with more memory, as the 14 is probably a month out or so. 13s might be on clearance soon. Any of them would be an enormous upgrade and well supported for apps and accessories.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

landgrabber posted:

what website do people use these days to host their photos and discover other photographers's photos?

I do purely the former and pay for Flickr. It works well enough for what I want to do with it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I live in the greater Tokyo blob, so there are still plenty of locals (both at events and also just around for street photography) and tourists with cameras, and plenty of them are mirrorless. It’s a reason I jumped away from the DSLR too, it became harder to take with me while taking photos with the phone felt soulless.

My wife had a very old Sony mirrorless, and I got her to get a Fuji XA to share lenses and batteries with me, and I have family interested in using “proper” cameras who I’m going to be teaching and shopping with soon. But out of friends groups, I know I’m an outlier as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

Just shoot Fuji jpgs :smug:

Updated, etc

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The other point is that even an APS-C sensor is something like 8-9 times the size of smartphone sensors, so even going to a lower-budget mirrorless camera (and not balls-deep full frame) still matches the point of “bigger sensor, better glass.”

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Perfect, ordered a kit from amazon.

Another question. The 5D Classic is my first full frame camera. Does full frame make for more vignetting? I'm shooting primarily with a Canon 50mm 1.8 and a Canon 35-80mm 4-5.6

Both are EF lenses, so should be good to go on full frame, but some of the shots I take have really significant vignetting on them, and some just dont? I feel like this is an aperture thing, but its something I've never experienced with APS-C cameras

Your lenses were designed for full-frame cameras (back when that was 35mm film), so they are more susceptible to vignetting on a full-frame sensor; the APS-C sensor is smaller, and centered, so it avoids where the worst vignetting happens :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

Flickr may qualify for this too.. but it has the same problem in that it requires your fan club to download a unique app. But flickr has the bonus of working on mobile as well as a desktop web browser.

Can’t see why you wouldn’t just share a Flickr link and have people access that via web browser, so long as you set the privacy to public anyone can see it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I use Flickr to backup and share occasionally, but I only shoot JPEG and don’t care about the social media aspect. It’s a really big photo bucket to me :v:

Backups also on hard drives, yes, but this also allows me to share if need be.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

don't go to japan thinking you'll get camera deals. the yen prices have inflated accordingly. some things might be a little cheaper, and tons of little accessories will probably be cheap, but lenses/bodies/etc., the big lifts, will be priced similarly.

…used seems to be tracking around where it has always been. Maybe a touch higher for some things, but that can be more “Fujifilm is in demand” since I’ve spotted some screaming deals for other systems.

It can’t have fully adjusted because then you price out the locals, too. Not like pay has gone up to match.

Source: been in Japan over a decade.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

X-T5 is a great camera, and the 16-80 is a very good starter kit - has a bit more reach so very good if you can’t zoom with your feet. That’ll be very good for a trip.

Now just take time on your trip to stop by Roppongi to only go by Fujifilm’s headquarters and do nothing else :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tk posted:

I think “bazooka” is the search term you’re looking for.

Think that camera’s factory strap is the same part number as they use for an RPG. Should be able to find it on Alibaba easy enough.