Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thumbsmcgraw
Jul 26, 2007
What's the tradeoff (I'm assuming there is one) of using higher ISO values in your pictures? I've been trying to get faster shutter speeds by upping the ISO to compensate for a lack of tripod in certain shots, and I'm wondering if I handicapped my image quality in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thumbsmcgraw
Jul 26, 2007
Thanks guys. I had a feeling that's what was going on. It's good to understand the why.

thumbsmcgraw
Jul 26, 2007
Can any of you seasoned veterans give tips on how to develop a "photographer's eye"? I've been shooting for about a month, and I'm continually surprised by how many of my good ideas end up making terrible pictures. I'm attributing alot of it to the difference between what my eye sees and what the camera actually records.

thumbsmcgraw
Jul 26, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Pay attention to the things in the picture *other* than the subject, for one. Not having seen any of your work I can't really say whether this is a problem, but it's something I frequently see plaguing new shooters. They tend to focus too much on the subject they have in mind, and fail to notice unappealing/distracting elements in the image that end up ruining it. E.g. nice shot of a cute girl but oops, there's a big plastic "Waste Pro" garbage bin to the left of and behind her.

Also, a lot of people try and fail to convey something they think is grand. For instance, you might be out walking in the woods and get overwhelmed by all the large trees, the feeling of being so small in nature, yada yada... so you take a nice wide angle picture. You end up with a picture of a bunch of tree branches and ground littered with debris. Yay.

Take some of your shots and look at them carefully. What were you TRYING to convey in them? How did you fail to? Did the light on a person's face not come out like you thought? Is the person not as "living" in the image as you hoped for? That sort of thing. And post and ask for honest critique, we have threads for that here.

These are all good points, and I'll keep them in the back of my head, but I was referring more to the difference between the way our eyes work as compared to the camera.

My biggest failures seem to come in the form of complex scenes that have alot going on in terms of color, texture, and lighting. While it's visually pleasing to my eye, trying to capture it somehow destroys the interesting contrasts and leaves you with a big mess of blah. Your example of the woods is perfect.

Maybe this is because your eye can continually move around and adjust focus and light level on the fly, but when you take a picture, you've assumed one setting for the whole scene.

Anyways, that's the best explanation I can think of.