Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
On my xsi, if you set it to 2 second delay while AEB is on, it'll automatically take all 3 back to back to back. If you just have it on continuous shooting, you'll have to click the shutter 3 times manually which of course could cause shaking issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
americanframe.com seems to be a popular choice for all things custom when it comes to framing.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I think the best way to get better as a photographer is shoot more (obviously) but then post your pics and get critiques. Also looking at a ton of other peoples pictures and thinking about why you like them and reading other peoples' critiques and why they like or dislike those shots really helps me be more creative and get stuff I'm happier with.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Here's a heads up: the sun sets pretty much due west tonight giving you the opportunity to mimic Manhattanhenge in your nearest metropolitan area (assuming it is built on an N/S grid).

spf3million fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 22, 2009

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

Here's a heads up: the sun sets pretty much due west tonight
Cross posted from PAD:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

A5H posted:

I really don't get how he's done some of them if I'm understanding it right.
It's a ton of photos stitched together, but how in the people ones haven't they moved??
I was confused about the same thing..

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It sounds straight forward enough. Shoot wide open, manually focus on the subject (or use auto then click over to manual), then take a ton of shots to completely cover the subject as you would with a panorama. This lets you use a longer focal length so you get the smaller DoF but you don't have to be really far back from the subject.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
There are some pretty awesome free auto stich programs out there in case you'd rather not do it yourself.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

dunno posted:

I mean, if this process requires them to stand absolutely still for 30 seconds, there are other options, and they're less expensive than you think...
It seems like they'd only really need to be still for a couple seconds while you fire off a panorama's worth of shots all at once. That guy used 62 different photos but that seems excessive to me. 20 or 30 should be plenty. And when you stitch, you don't really need to take alot of time recomposing, just point, shoot, move the camera little, shoot again. 7-10 seconds max should be plenty.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

jackpot posted:

If there's a better thread for this, let me know.

Need to make some photo books for Christmas presents this year. Who's got the best quality/price ratio?
I liked my Blurb book. It came out a little darker than my monitor but it's not calibrated so your mileage may vary.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Ric posted:

a torch
I believe he means flashlight :patriot:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It's not so much the temperature difference but the humidity of the warmer air that should be of concern. If the cold environment's temperature is below the dew point of the warmer environment, the cold camera will quickly cool down the warm air around it making it able to hold less water as vapor forcing water to condense :science:

That being said, you probably don't have access to the dew point of your house but if it's generally dry and it's mild year round, you probably never have to worry about it. If it drops to near freezing, better to be safe than sorry. You also have to worry if you keep your house cold in the summer w/ AC then take your camera outside when it's muggy. This happened to me in Florida once.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I think it really depends on how much importance you put on the photography part of your trip. If you just want pics to remember the trip by, then go for a new p&s. There are some pretty good cameras out there for under $250 (assuming you'll have decent light). If you want "a lot of album-worthy photos" only you know what will meet your standards of album-worthiness. I will say that you probably won't find a lens that will blow away your kit lens for <$250. No one can make the decision for you on how big of a camera to take. I personally have a nice p&s when I just want memento pics and a dslr for when I know I'll have time for taking pictures at my own pace.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
If it were me, I'd go khakis and a polo but I've never been to an inauguration.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I used Bridge because I didn't know any better and eventually came up with a good work flow that worked for me. Just as I got used to Bridge I made the switch to Light Room and it took a while to get used to it but now it's way better. The difference with LR is that it creates a separate file with all of your edits and saves that automatically. Then you have to export the photo you made with the edits applied as opposed to Bridge where I saved one copy of the original, edited it, saved a new copy as a .tiff then then save as a jpeg to upload to flickr. Now I just make small edits in LR, export as jpeg and still have the original RAW, the edits (saved as a small basically text doc) and the jpeg for export. Either way works, just whatever you prefer I suppose.

e: your avatar made me laugh (ohio state alum)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

EvilRic posted:

DSLR cameras have a crop/zoom factor based on the size of the sensor, so it's fixed at 1.6x for most Canon bodies until you get to the full frame ones like the 5D. It basically just means if you put a 10mm lens for a full frame camera on a 1.6 body it will act like a 16mm lens.
I think he meant just use 1.5x for guessing full frame equivalent when figuring out what minimum shutter speed to use.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The only thing I've found that I like is carrying it in my hand with a wrist strap. Otherwise, it's in the backpack. I've tried a few around the neck, straps crossing behind the back and hanging in front methods and it just bounces around too much. I've yet to try attaching it to a monopod/walking stick and hiking with it on the stick which I've heard of some people doing...

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Depends on the temperature and humidity in the warmer environment and the temperature in the cold environment. :science: If the colder temperature is below the dew point of the warmer room, water will condense out of the air into liquid on the surfaces when the water in the air comes into contact with the cold surface (at least that's how I understand it).

I don't know any rules of thumb though. If your house it relatively dry and around 70F, I'd say you'd probably be fine coming inside when it's >40F (huge guess). If there is snow on the ground, I personally put my camera in a bag and squeeze out all the air while it warms up.

FYI, I had a lens fog up when I stepped outside in Florida out of the air conditioned hotel room, so it works both ways.

e: found this link http://www.dpcalc.org/. Move the red bar to your house temperature, then change the %RH (the relative humidity inside your house) to see its affect on the dew point (the temperature it has to be outside to get condensation when brought back inside). Granted, your lens has to be outside long enough to get to that outside temperature, so a quick in and out, you might be ok.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 6, 2010

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

torgeaux posted:

When going from dry cold to warm moist, while in the cool area, put the camera in a plastic bag (preferably sealed, like a gallon ziplock, and let it come up to temperature in the bag.
And preferably squeeze most of the air out so moisture in the air inside the bag doesn't condense.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I always strap it to the side by feeding one leg through the side strap and putting all 3 legs in the water bottle pocket while tightening the side strap as much as possible then. I try to balance it out weight-wise by having a big water bottle on the other side. Backpacking and dslrs are not very compatible unfortunately.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

pwn posted:

I stopped using Phorumr when I found this one: allSizes
Sweet, thanks for this.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Did you accidentally change the in-camera noise reduction settings?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
If it's clear, it's most likely a lowly UV filter.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Jolan posted:

Didn't see a FujiFilm thread so I thought I'd post in here.

I'm looking for the Finepix Viewer installer for MacOSX. I've only been able to find the installer for Windows (a rip someone made of the cd) and the updater programme that won't work without the original app installed, but I can't find the cd that came with the camera (a f100fd) anymore. And since you can't just plug in the camera and browse to the pictures in MacOSX...

Could anyone help me out?
Maybe shoot their tech support people an email? Other brands will sometimes send their photo software if you own a camera and lost the original software.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

HPL posted:

I just tried out the trial version of DxO FilmPack. So. loving. Good. I probably shoot more black and white film than anyone else here and I can say that FilmPack gives you dead-on film looks and you can even adjust the grain qualities to match different film formats like if it were on 35mm, medium format or large format. I can't speak with as much authority on color negative and slide, but it does a damned good job of matching what I'm familiar with including Kodachrome.

And as for filters, hell yeah. Pick your film type, pick your filter, done. Easy as pie. It's also a great learning tool to see how different filters would affect a certain photo.
Have you used Nik Color Efex's film presets? I'd love to hear a comparison.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I actually want to do 3D HDR animated gifs, its gunna b awsum.
How about 3D, fake tilt shift, hdr timelapses?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Any chance he'd rather get back into film? You can get a much bigger bang for your buck with a 1990's film camera body. If he had a professional film body back in the day, an XS will be a significant step down in terms of camera body features and the kit lens that comes with it will also be considerably worse.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

stimpy posted:

He may, but he doesn't have access to a darkroom or anything anymore, and he always developed his own film and such. But like I mentioned above, he's pretty big into computers and stuff now, so I don't think that would be an impediment to him. It may be preferable, really. I'm not especially looking to match what he had, because my mom said she thought his main camera (the Canon) cost around $700 - $800, and this would have been in the mid to late 70s. I'm sure if I wanted to match that, I'd be into the multiple thousands now. I'm basically looking for something to kind of get him back into it a bit, and if he gets the bug again he can upgrade either the camera itself or get some additional lenses for it.
Loud and clear about wanting digital, just wanted to add that a $100 film camera from the 90s will be far better features-wise than his pro camera which cost $700 in the 70s (matching it with a digital body will definitely run into the quadruple digits). You can still get film developed at a drug store and scan it at home then play with it on the computer or have the developer scan them for you and put them on a CD to share online. $400 extra to spend on a better lens would go a long way. The XS is pretty much the lowest entry level dSLR nowadays FYI.

Ok that's the last I'll say about film. I'm sure he will love whatever you decide to get him :3:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Ballistic Photon posted:

Can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind covering your gear in black tape?

I've seen people do this and seen other people joke about needing to do it. My camera has plenty of noticeable cosmetic scratches, but I like to think that lets you know that it has been places and seen many things. :clint:

Maybe it's to reduce reflectivity of shinier bits on the camera? Someone please explain it to me.
I thought it was to people wouldn't know that your 5d2 is what it is making you less of a theft target. I always thought this was rather dumb since a thief won't care if your camera costs $400 or $2000, it's still more than the $0 they have in their pocket.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
*Yeah, the aperture will be controlled by the camera when the switch is at the colored number (not always f/22). It took me forever to figure this out when I played with my friend's Nikon.

*Disclaimer, also Canon user.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
:science: Depends entirely on the humidity of the warmer environment. Assuming you keep your house at 70F and the indoor relative humidity is 30% (probably lower in the winter but let's be conservative) then any surface below 37.5F will cause dew to form in the presence of air. So if you bring your camera in from outside and it was 35F, then theoretically you would have some condensation. Indoor humidities in the winter are usually lower, so if it were 20% humidity inside, you could be fine with anything above 27.5F. At least that's how I understand it.

Here's the chart I used: http://epg.modot.mo.gov/files/c/c7/Table_106.7.38.4.gif

The reason you are safer when you put it in a bag is that by squeezing most of the air out (and putting it in the bag while still outside) you are reducing the amount of available water in the air so even if it all condenses it will be a small amount as opposed to leaving it open in the warm room where there is an infinite availability of water condense on your camera.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 30, 2010

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Agreed, you obviously don't need to carry a chart around with you, just used examples for the sake of understanding. To answer the original question, you'd probably be fine @30-40F. Anything colder might be borderline.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

poopinmymouth posted:

you have to have enough knowledge to make those alterations in a believable way, which takes way more perspective, color, volume, anatomy, cloth wrinkle, and compositional knowledge than lifting a framing device to your eye and pressing a button at the right moment.
I think this is the key right here. Straight out the camera people don't like unbelievable things being called great photos but I betcha if they saw one of pimm's comps and wasn't told it wasn't "straight outta the camera" they'd appreciate it more. Especially if they saw one of his write ups about how much work goes into it. Doing a lot of post but keeping it believable is what makes a great photo for me. Unrealistic poo poo is a dime a dozen.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

ExecuDork posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that I too hate this and feel your frustration.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Kiri koli posted:

Oh I know that technically it's a bad thing to do. I wasn't shooting anything in particular. I was just pointing my new lens at my furniture at night and playing around with settings to check that everything worked. The problem primarily happened at high ISO and small aperture, but it would occasionally happen at more reasonable settings as well. I was asking if using such settings would cause an error even with a functioning lens. Even though I'll never shoot with such settings for real, I still don't want a broken lens. The problem might eventually extend to all ISOs and apertures, for all I know.
I can't see why the ISO would affect the lens at all. Just to make sure, have you tried shooting at f/8 ISO 100? The lens should definitely work at all ISOs and aperture settings (and shutter speeds for that matter).As everyone else has said, if it does not, some part of it is broken.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Are you talking about Peter Funch? http://www.peterfunch.com/index.php?/ongoing/babel-tales/

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

jackpot posted:

They're doing some big upgrades at work, so I'm going to have my laptop wiped and re-imaged. What's the best/easiest way to get my Lightroom 2 catalog over to the new computer?
I think you want to make sure that you make LR move your photos for you, don't just drag and drop the folders with the RAWs from one location to another. This guys did a video to walk you through it: http://thelightroomlab.com/2010/06/...op-lightroom-3/. I think the first video is what you want.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Phat_Albert posted:

I dont know where else to ask this, so I guess I'll put it here. I know we have a DSLR video thread, but is there one for people just shooting video on normal video cameras? I dont shoot DSLR video, but I'm imagining the processes are somewhat different than using other more conventional non-professional video cameras?

Any interest in one?
Well there's this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3144982. Not sure if that's what you were thinking about though.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

King Hotpants posted:

your only way to roll.
I see what you did there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I have 16gb of RAM and can stitch at least 10-15 RAWs (it starts to slow down around 10-12) but like Haggins said, there's no reason to once you do your initial editing. You can never have too much RAM though.