Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
But in all honesty who takes the time to move up to the subject and meter using evaluative? :v: (half sarcastic) Also if I recall correctly and you're a Canon user not using a 1D body then your spot meter is center point only. Hooray for custom functions and a pro body!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
No film or sensor will ever be as sensitive in dynamic range as the human eye. The camera in its simplest form is a dark box with a shutter that goes up when it's told and quantity of light is filtered in through a lens via aperture and the amount of time that shutter is open. Color and texture are easier to get- lighting takes time.

Post something so we can see.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Therein lies the beauty of photography- sure someone can pick up a camera, point it and hit the shutter button but to get truly magnificent shots you have to know what you're doing (or have a really drat good computer inside that little box, or luck, or both).

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
There are times when a photograph can evoke some physical responses- vertigo is a common one; sometimes people can hear the environment; smell it; even taste it.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

edit: here's an example (though I tossed the RAW after processing it so can't prove it, but I have no real reason to make poo poo up)

You tossed the RAW?! :monocle:

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, after I processed it and had a file that retained all the details I wanted, why bother keeping the RAW?

Then again, I suppose I should be jerking off to ultimate theoretical detail rather than selling prints.

Shame on me.

It's not about jerking off to your RAW- it's about having them there as backup in case something should happen to your processed file. From a sale aspect, throwing out RAW is stupid too- perhaps someone would offer you 1 million dollars if you could do {insert whatever here} but since you only have a processed file and not the original you'd be limited in what you could do. To put it another way- RAW is your negative; would you ever throw your (usable) negative out? Disk space is cheap and cataloging can be tedious but it's not rocket science.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
All I can say is a properly exposed slide looks loving awesome when on a light box.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Nothing to read here.

germskr fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 27, 2009

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
I'm retarded. :doh:

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Remember sunlight/daylight will affect the ambient light so I always try to calibrate it under the conditions I will be working under.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
With the recent events in the news, if anyone finds themselves taking their camera/gear for a plane ride could you tell us what kind of new security measures you run into? I read that they're making people turn the cameras on (no big deal) but the carry on rules have gotten a lot stricter since Friday. [Perhaps] gone are are the days where we were allowed one carry on and a camera bag/laptop bag.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

somnambulist posted:

Wasn't sure where to ask this, but I may ask in a couple threads--

Anyway, I was playing with my camera and I've been tinkering around with color styles (i think that's what it's called?) You can choose between portrait, landscape, neutral, monochrome, etc. and I also installed a few others from the canon site (Studio, Snapshot, etc)

Anyway, on the camera they look fine, but when I upload them to my computer they revert back to the original profile (example: if i used the monochrome, when i view it in aperture its in full color)

How do I make it so it keeps the ones i actually shot with?

I hope my question makes sense :-p

I have the 5d mark II if it matters.

Just a suggestion but unless you have no time to dump images to your computer and tinker around in LR/PS/whatever post program, it's generally just better to shoot in RAW and make the adjustments later. I personally don't like what the camera does so I leave it until post but I realize that some people live in the "OMG I GOTSTA HAVE IT NOW!!!"

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
570 megapixel camera.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/...gle+Feedfetcher

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
I'm not familiar with iMac but I do know that some of the Apple Cinema displays were having problems with calibration. They might have fixed that since then.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

TsarAleksi posted:

Evidence seems to indicate that it's not a problem on the previous gen ones anyway, but I ran the test and it seems fine. There might be a bit of a tinge in the bottom right corner, less than a half inch worth though so I'm not really concerned.

Unless it spreads. Not that it would, but that would be funny. For me.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34979410/

Associated Press posted:

LONDON - Organizers of a wildlife photography competition have disqualified the winning image of a leaping wolf after an investigation determined the animal was trained, not wild.

Judges for the prestigious Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition had praised Spanish photographer Jose Luis Rodriguez's image featuring an Iberian wolf for its "fairy tale" quality but later became suspicious about its authenticity.

Competition spokeswoman Louise Emerson said Wednesday that judges had investigated and decided that the wolf is probably "an animal model that can be hired for photographic purposes."

The competition's rules said the use of captive animals must be declared. Rodriguez was stripped of the award.

Emerson says Rodriguez denies using a model wolf.

To be honest, I thought it was a setup from the start.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Shmoogy posted:

I think most people use Bridge

This made me laugh. A lot.

Bridge is that unwanted child that nobody likes to speak of, and often gets overlooked in favor for its sibling programs PS and LR.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

HPL posted:

Who needs super fast glass when your high ISO performance is a stop or two better than the competition? DPReview put up a 1DMkIV review and it's kind of disappointing compared to the D3S once you start getting up past 1600. I thought the MkIV would have been Canon's big reply to the D3S.

It makes up for it in IQ and resolution (granted some would argue you don't need resolution for news articles in the papers and magazines and such). Let's not forget, the D3s is the (tried and true) 12MP FX sensor so of course it's going to look better at higher ISOs. That said, I was slightly disappointed by the high ISO comparison between the two but my kind of shooting hovers around ISO100-400 (MAYBE 800) so this doesn't really affect me.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Your camera is small enough that you should be able to wear it around your neck all day and not feel it. That said, some bags are made to have the camera clip on to the shoulder straps so you may want to look into one of those or you could even jerry-rig something to do just that. The more common approach is to set up a camp and then go out and about to take photos with a camera bag made for hiking (can carry a day's worth of water, food, maybe spare clothes) but if that's not an option, then I would just suck it up and pack your lenses between clothes (provided you're not hiking with a 300mm+ f/2.8 lens) and try to find some way to attach the camera to the shoulder straps of the bag.

I hiked the Napali Coast in Hawaii with a bag not designed for hiking or camera gear and it was fine.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

InternetJunky posted:

So what do you do if you do see condensation in there? Sounds like a bad thing to have...

Find a sunny window and leave it there. Do not ever, under any circumstance use a hair dryer.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Google "mogrify plugin" for lightroom. That should enable you to add a border while exporting.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
drat, I should get some kind of commission. :v:

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
It sounds like he's chasing the dream of doing something you love as your job. For some it works, others not so much.

In my opinion you should forgo schooling in photography and hone your business/marketing skills, assuming you want to make your wages off of it. If not, then just keep shooting and assist where you can. Put that money into some gear, travel, photo books by others. Don't waste your time with schooling unless you're really clueless about how things work and are not good with DIY learning projects.

Edit: what you've listed are professions where a strong portfolio and willingness to do a lot of shooting is paramount to a piece of paper. Although you've listed "organizations", what the hell does that mean? Oh did you mean work for hire? Editorial? Commercial? Regardless, "commercial" photographers aren't the only photographers that need to market themselves. Just my two cents.

Edit 2: if you want to teach, you have to get a degree in something else, but not photography. I think it's like a teaching degree (can't think of the name of it off the top of my head).

germskr fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 23, 2010

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

TheFuglyStik posted:

I've got a strong interest in art history and even went so far as to take on a few more credits than I needed for my BA just to cram in more classes about it. It's more the whole gallery scene and the behavior that goes on in such places that really strikes me as over the top. I clearly recall seeing a canvas in the Hull House (I think, but the art museum near the Natural History Museum just across the river) in Chicago painted a flat drab green, and wondering why the hell this got into a museum. Even after learning to appreciate art for what it is and how specific periods/artists contributed to the art world, I still can't figure out that loving canvas that just got coated with an army green rattle can. Same with the string of Christmas lights strung around a shopping cart. Dada I can understand, but any meaning I try to pull out of either of these specific pieces would just be conjecture pulled fresh out of my rear end.

That's my biggest gripe with galleries though- they get to pick what goes up and then there are some who will just eat it up as "art" no matter what. Although the gallery's intention may be good such as making the viewer think, or something along those lines, people are dumb and will take it at face value that if it's hanging on the wall then it must be art.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Ration posted:

I'm going to disagree about goon hosting. I had Darklotus' service for a while and it was nothing but top notch. I'm not certain who Phat_Albert had, but Darklotus has plenty of glowing reviews.

AKA Lithium Hosting. I also use them and have nothing but praise.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Does anybody have experience with taking product photos of clothes? I'm about to receive a stack of t-shirts to shoot, and I'm not sure how to go about shooting them/making them look good.

Like here and here, they seem to be flat but also have a bit of depth to them.

Wow the second link is just straight up "unprofessional" in my opinion. Every single shirt is wrinkled- perhaps that's what Hollister Co. wants to convey to the consumer, "hey our shirts are pre-wrinkled to give you that grungy Cali look."

A model will always help put things into perspective, and you don't always have to include a face but for the love of god, please make sure it's not wrinkled. This is where safety pins come into play (especially with models). Ever notice how the clothes seem to perfectly fit the model? No creases or wrinkles, etc. well it's because they have a poo poo ton of safety pins on the back.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

William T. Hornaday posted:

Yeah, I've always hated doing post-processing and will often try to do as little of it as possible. I guess I've always just found black and white a little more forgiving than color when it comes to making adjustments, and have been a bit more drawn to it as a result.

Yeah, I've always hated getting the best results out of my photos too. :v:

Learn how to properly use the tools before you say dumb things like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Molten Llama posted:

You shut your mouth! Those shirts were meticulously wrinkled to reach their market!

Seriously, I can't remember if it was CommArts or AdWeek, but wrinkled clothing for youth brands is in high demand because the marketroids think it optimizes their synergies or whatever. By showing the clothes wrinkled (but not too perfectly wrinkled!), shoppers better connect with the product and can imagine in it in their own lives.

See Gap, Old Navy, Abercrombie, AE... If it's not on a human being, it should look like a teenager just grabbed it off his floor.

I'm glad you pointed that out since I don't follow the stupid teenager clothing trends. Still looks "unprofessional" in my opinion but whatever makes the product sell I guess.