Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I just go through quickly and rate anything worth looking at a 1 star. Then, anything that I touch or like is a 2 star. Three stars means it's worth showing/posting, 4 is the client likes it/chooses it (!!) and 5 is a port-worthy.

I don't bother with the flags and colors because I'm easily confused :saddowns: so if you have the same problem, you could probably work out something similar like you got so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

jackpot posted:

Ha, I've finally made it, I have arrived:

:downsgun:

One of my favorite things to do is to mix in pictures on my point and shoot so I can tell them, "nah it's just a 4 year old 5 megapixel piece of poo poo"

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

There's a couple things you can do. You can fill flash, you can shoot in the shade, you can reflect the sun as a fill, you can hold a giant cloth tarp over someone's head to create shade. Basically it comes down to: find a way to get light into those shadows, or diffuse/block that sunlight.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I always sketch out/write out for a shoot. It keeps things going smooth and saves time on lighting setups and then the models aren't as antsy.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I shoot in color/RAW and convert, because the black/white conversion in camera is usually just sort of a lackluster greyscale. Some things that can help out are: take some pictures and convert to how you like it as practice. You may find that you prefer high contrast black and white (many people do) and you will want to shoot for that. Things that pop out more are things like light positions/patterning, and you'll want to make sure that no tones are blending into each other (example: someone's head against a hot pink wall will pop in color, but if their skin is similar in shade/tone, when it's converted it'll blend in). Of course, stuff like this is all to personal taste, so experiment around and see what you wanna get.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

HPL posted:

Shoot film. It's the easiest way to get good B&W.

This is true :saddowns:

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Snaily posted:

I'm going on a snowboarding trip at the end of January, and I'm debating bringing the SLR to the slopes. Probably no extra lenses, just a pound and a half of metal SLR.

The crucial difficulty is carrying it without having it in a place where I can hurt myself on it ifwhen I fall. Back(pack) is right out, strapped high on the chest could work, as could below one armpit, but the nicest place I've thought of yet is just above the knee, between the legs, since that will always be out of the way. Is this stupid from the outset? Should I just carry a point-and-shoot?

A point and shoot will probably work better, but if you do want to bring a slr, I suggest strapping it to your chest really good, maybe in sort of an X shape or front backpack-type thing. That way it's easily accessible and pretty safe, without interfering with your legs.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

wear one of those clear visors too.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

How many other people use back-button AF? I recently decided to permanently switch over, because I like the control more and it fits the way I shoot. I only know of one other photographer that actually does this though, so I'm curious about who else does.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

:colbert: I don't let anyone who doesn't know what they're doing hold my camera, so that's not a problem.

I haven't had any problems with comfort, and I have really small hands...I use my left eye in the viewfinder though, despite being right handed.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

It's really annoying to flick the switch back and forth between MF and AF on the lens and wastes time and you can lose your composition or depth of field if you're working narrowly. And you don't have to hold it down, you can simply tap it when you want it to focus, then recompose as you want.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

jackpot posted:

Looking for a couple choices for online prints, 16x20. Mpix and...what else?

I like adoramapix, they always do a good job.

I finally got myself a twitter, what's some good (preferably funny or interesting) photo people or companies to follow?

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

slartibartfast posted:

Thanks for the tips, everyone. That R-Strap looks promising. Time to find a store with it in stock and play around.

I love the R-strap, but I ordered it online. It makes so much sense, especially the heavier your camera gets.

I backpack also, and I really haven't found a good way to have a dslr out. So what I do is I pack it up at the top in my backpack if it's a hard hike, and only take it after camp is set up, or if I'm meandering and I want to take photos while I wander, I actually just keep it in my hand, because it's the least annoying way to carry it for me. And then keep important bits like lens/batteries clipped to the side of your backpack in a small bag or in the water bottle holders.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I am planning on using models later on, but for now I think we just want pictures of the products. I guess I could have them on a model and crop out, etc, but my boss wants the flattened wrinkled look.

This could be an interesting weekend..

You could try having the clothes in their "natural environment", like slung over chairs, or in a pile on the ground, all carefully strategically placed to show the clothing of course. I think if you did right, it could be good, and you could also add a picture of it flat next to them too, to show the whole shirt, like in a diptych.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

I work with a lot of small businesses as part of my IT job.. One of them is a juice supplier.. I was just over there when the corporates were judging new labels.
They were umm'ing, and ahh'ing over them, when I threw my thoughts in.

It wasn't long before they discovered I've done a few product shots in my time, but nothing really food orientated. The marketing manager is keen to know what I can do as far as fruit/juice/glassbottle product shots go.
I'm gonna do as many different set ups as I can think of tonight, and see what I can get out of it..

What are some "go-to" set ups for glass bottles and such?

Another option is a black or dark background, but have a large enough light source to wrap around the sides giving it definition that way.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Since all the joke answers were covered, you could always do a dancer study, she liked doing those. Check out her earlier work, my guess is that's what the assignment refers to anyways, especially since its black and white.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Ignore them. It's not your responsibility to make them happy about it, especially for $20. I cant imagine that that person actually thinks the new ones are better, so she might just be stroking the other person's ego. If she hasn't actually said anything to you about how she doesn't like them, I wouldn't assume anything.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I do backpacking and I do the same thing as that other person, wrap it up in a sweatshirt at the top. But I don't like the balance of a waistbelt, it bothers me when I'm walking, but you might be different. Honestly though, when weight is so important, I ended up ditching (on future hikes, not on one of them) the dslr and going with something smaller and much more manageable. It was just never worth the weight to me, that could've been like 80 bags of chips! Or you know, water.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

The other thing for improving composition is that the "rules" and trends are consistent across all arts. It might help to check out some art and design composition resources.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Perfect time to go check out the 35mm or toy camera thread! (Yeah, I wouldn't bother with a dslr, you'll just carry it around and hate yourself.)

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

5436 posted:

Where is a good place to get large prints of pictures? Large as in poster size or slightly smaller. Also anyone have a site that does the rundown of the different printing options/papers? I also live in NYC if that makes a difference, I figured online would be cheaper but maybe local is here since there's no shipping cost.

Adorama pix does good prints (I've printed some 20x30 through them and it looks really nice) and they have free pickup, which is nice. Good prices too.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, and the iPhone can take quite nice pictures too. It looks like your lighting is really ugly, so if you add a couple more lights to make it more bright anywhere there are harsh shadows that should help a lot :)

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

QPZIL posted:

That's what I already do! But I feel like sometimes I just do it because I'm no good at color heh.

Practice til you suck less.

And for the other guy, charge lots of money. LOTS. Yes you get automatic rights, that's not even a question. Especially if you shoot digital and have copies of the file dating back to whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Costco will do cheap develop only too and a lot of the time their technicians are pretty nice about that kind of thing.