Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

This is a very basic question, but I'm a beginner so have patience please.

jhoc posted:

Well sunsets will almost always require two exposures, one for the sky and one for the foreground. That photo was 3 shots I believe. One for the sky and a dark and light foreground exposure. Instead of dodging and burning I layered a lighter foreground on the dark one and just masked it in where the photo needed to be brightened up. Aside from that just some sharpening and some cloning and desaturating to get rid of the lens flares.
[..]

This guy talks about two exposures. I'm not really sure what that means, but I've read about multiple exposures in the guide to HDR photography.

From what I've understood, and this is probably wrong, he means taking two separate photos - one with settings to accentuate the sky and another to show the landscape properly. Then you use magic to join the two pics in photoshop, right?

How is this done practically?

EDIT: The photographing part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

It requires a tripod (unless you're Ken Rockwell), and some ways are better than others.

If you can, bracket the exposures. You might not know what bracketing is but I'm fairly certain any dSLR has the option. It will allow you to take a shot at 3 different exposures one after another. So you could do -2, 0, +2 for example. This is nice because you won't have to touch the camera to make adjustments between shots. You should also shoot this with a cable release, IR remote, or if all else fails set the camera timer and take your hand off the camera.

In an imperfect world, like it tends to be, bracketing might not work because evenly changing the exposure across the three pictures might not be ideal. Unless your goal is poo poo HDR in which case -2, 0, +2 is perfect! However, you can't bracket be extremely cautious when you touch the camera, even on the tripod, because the slightest movement can be irritating to deal with when it comes to editing.

Great, great answer. Thank you. This is what I thought but you've covered my every question. In fact I borrowed a tripod from a friend today and read the manual for my camera, figuring out how to bracket. If I have the time I can hopefully try this out tonight.

Again, thanks.

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

Here's some pretty old school stuff: http://jzportraits.home.att.net/chapter-01.html

I haven't read it myself so I'm not gonna vouch for it.