Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Then beyond that, getting 4 or 5 people to help me out.

Beer or weed works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
if I'm shooting in anything but manual (which I don't do a lot but for weddings, event stuff, etc.) I underexpose just about everything to be safe. Like Brad said, it just isn't worth it, and I don't trust my meter even on the best of days.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
Eh, 'corporate yet casual' to me just means a headshot from waist up where they're leaning into the camera a wee bit and smiling.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Cyberbob posted:

Do we want a LR thread? There seems to be a decent market for discussion around the new beta & its changes/features.

What I've found so far:

• Completely new import method.
  • Publish directly to your flickr photostream from the Library module.
  • Keyword sets for bunches of keywords to be applied at once
  • New 'Effects' tab of the Develop module - now has Post-Crop Vignetting with more control, and a Grain slider to add roughness to a picture.
  • All lens correction sliders that depend on there being an "amount" chosen are now grayed out until the amount is a number aside from 0.
  • Many more options in the Develop adjustment brush tool. Custom effects like Teeth Whitening, Iris Enhancing as well as typical photoshop filters.
  • Much quicker at updating web galleries in a draft Web project.

It's pretty cool, but it feels more like Lightroom 2.5 to me. I guess the jump between 1.0 and 2.0 was a lot more impressive to me.

As for a LR thread, I think we should have a general software thread... stuff like invoicing software, dinky little programs like Poladroid, etc. could be included in that.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Ric posted:

Is it possible to merge Lightroom catalogues? I've processed a few sets recently on a different computer and I'd like to add them with changes to my main catalogue.

I usually just export images as DNG's and then import onto my desktop if I've done some editing work away from it.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

brad industry posted:

How many photos do you process at once, because I have this exact same set up and it's pretty speedy.

Alternatively, take up smoking.

it seems like 'Lightroom preview-generating time' is pretty much always 'smoking time'

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

germskr posted:

570 megapixel camera.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/...gle+Feedfetcher

this is the exact camera that they take security footage from in CSI

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

BobTheCow posted:

I was more dressed up than most of the rest of the photographers in the press corp

even if you had puked down your front this still probably would have been true

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

PlasticSun posted:

I think they could do something where you used the EOS utility with it if it

Please no

Now, if Phase made a C1 iPad app...

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Shmoogy posted:

Each of those adapters is between $30-50, I don't remember quite how much it's supposed to go for. I'm sure it will work for jpegs, but I'm not certain if it will possibly work with RAWs. I think RAW needs like codec support from each camera maker, so it can probably be added/hacked in but probably wont come upon release.

Apple is pretty keen on keeping iPhoto updated with camera profiles. I wouldn't be surprised.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Bob Socko posted:

I've never used iPhoto, does it do at least basic photo editing - crops, contrast, exposure and so on? If so, the iPad might be perfect for vacations. Fill my card during the day, clean up the photos in the evening, use the hotel's WiFi to upload everything to Flickr overnight. Yeah, I could go for that.

I've looked at the 'editing' tool a total of probably twice... I think it has exposure, contrast, saturation... nothing too crazy. However, there are a few cool editing apps for the iPhone (Tiltshiftgen is AWESOME) so I wouldn't be surprised if someone made one that was more robust since tech specs aren't as big of a constraint.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Shmoogy posted:

Not sure what you're talking about, if the computer which handles the video is powerful enough to process it, there shouldn't be any problems.

That being said, the T2i, for example, can do 720p @ 60 FPS which is silky smooth.

e: and the HD video only requires a card capable of doing like 8MB/s throughput, so that shouldn't be an issue either.

he's talking about the rolling shutter I'm pretty sure

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
I also save pretty much every silica gel packet I find and have a few stuffed into each lens / body compartment in my bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

FasterThanLight posted:

Costco is annoying. They have icc profiles available for their printers, but then they *sometimes* apply auto correction to the photos you upload (which probably depends on the employee working at the time). I've had some great results, and some pretty bad. The price is good, though.

This. I used them when I was just getting out of school because the quality great for the price (***when they don't gently caress it up). I've had the same issues as you, and the icing on the cake is the lighting in a costco is the last place you want to be checking over your prints.